The Thin Red Line

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Something got me thinking of this film again the other day. I remember a lot of people were very polarized by this film, they either loved or hated it. Many people thought it was just so much pretentious crap what with the long run period, the poetic interludes, music, and long silences. Personally I found much of it even much of the poetry to be beautiful and quite successful. It's length did hurt it though. Your opinion?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I'm on the fence. It was possibly a little too long for it's own good, but it was also an enjoyable film. No masterpiece, far from that, but definitely a war movie that proved to be a good watch.

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
Definitely, one of my top 5 favorite movies ever....

The first time I watched it I was pissed expecting something totally different than what it was....about a year later I gave it another shot and it blew me away....The cinematography is awesome....and the themes and philosophical problems that movie brings up makes it one of my favorite movies....Malick is awesome.....
This movie is definitely a great work of art...

I'm sure this thread will probably catch quite abit of flack from people who expected this movie to be Saving Private Ryan 2.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
i like the director...but..I think the movie tried too hard...just seemed like it was trying to impress and thus lost clarity...

2 cents

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Same deal with The New World... it's all aboot the cinematography and perhaps score. The story is almost secondary.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
All I remembered was that when they brought George Clooney in at the end I almost threw my remote at the TV. Come on, what were they thinking?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Spectacular. way better than SPM, imo (although I liked that Spielbergian Hollywood tripe as well)

Easily my favorite War film (BoB doesn't count, of course)

I consider it one of the great films of that decade...Unforgiven and Magnolia included.

Granted, you have to be a bit of a fan of Malick's to enjoy it, maybe....but c'mon! even the dead were narrating! freaking brilliant. if your still on the fence, watch it again if you haven't. it will sink in then ;)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
If you like watching the camera halt on birds in the jungle... forever... then this movie is for you. If you think people sit there and think to themselves and that all soldiers speak to themselves as poets would then this movie is for you.

I remember this movie came out the same day as Varsity Blues. I went to see Thin Red Line with a few other friends and afterwards realized I should have went with the (zomg spoiler alert!) whip cream bikini. With that being said, the movie did have some cool parts.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: bthorny
The first time I watched it I was pissed expecting something totally different than what it was....about a year later I gave it another shot and it blew me away

Perhaps I will try watching it again. Ironically enough, I disliked the movie in the theater yet bought the DVD because I did like how some of the scenes were shot. It's quite possible that a movie paced like this one will be much more enjoyable at home.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
I just tried for the second time to sit through it. I just can't do it. Too long, too slow.

MasterOfKtulu109

May 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Auric
Same deal with The New World... it's all aboot the cinematography and perhaps score. The story is almost secondary.

very few filmmakers are talented enough to pull this off (having a plot you don't even pay attention to because the rest of the movie is so captivating).

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
The movie blows goats. It had about 2 worthwhile scenes in the whole movie, the rest was utter crap.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
As I said I would, I fired this movie back up last night before crashing for bed. I made it through the opening paradise island shots and turned it off when Penn started talking. I'll hop back into it tonight.

I have this feeling I would much rather watch this again in high def though...