The TeAm needs an new Team Captain for WCG ...

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Hi TeAm-members, as some of you have seen, I've joined the TeAm to the 15th birthday challenge in WCG.
As I am not crunching/folding etc. very much more, and since I can only dedicate limited (barely any) time to DC just now, I would like to resign as the TeAm's team captain in WCG.
The way to change team captain is that I as the current captain assign a member to the captaincy.
Therefore, please discuss this issue and let me know, by PM (which I get notifications about) whom to assign the captaincy to.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I'd say make a TAC account and assign people to said account
Sorry that wont work easily - all the members would have to quit the now existing team and then join the new team - and the TeAm would lose all the stats ...
As one of the founding members of TAC this is essentially a TAC account. The only thing I want is a new captain to take over and that could be one of the TAC members ...

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I would volunteer since I am the highest WCG contributor. Only caveat is that I do not have a much time to admin, and I don't have all the knowledge about stats and other things.

In the absence of another volunteer or elected person, I will fill in if need be.

Reactions: biodoc

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I think @Kiska's suggestion amounts to:
  • Create a new user account at WCG (username = TAC, as long as this name is still available, which it currently is). This user needs a temporary e-mail address.
  • Let this user join the TeAm.
  • Make the login credentials of this user known to those TeAm members who are currently functioning as TAC at the other projects.
  • Transfer captainship to this shared user.
  • One of the TAC members changes the e-mail address of the shared user to a more permanent one, and lets the other TAC members know. (It is required for login.)
(Note, there are BOINC projects out there which do not allow changing the e-mail address of a user once created, e.g. the boinc@tacc project. But World Community Grid allows changing both nick and e-mail address after the fact, as far as I can tell.)

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I understand Kiska's and Stefans idea. Please let me know when steps 1- 3 are done and I'll transfer the captaincy to TAC.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I think @Kiska's suggestion amounts to:
  • Create a new user account at WCG (username = TAC, as long as this name is still available, which it currently is). This user needs a temporary e-mail address.
  • Let this user join the TeAm.
  • Make the login credentials of this user known to those TeAm members who are currently functioning as TAC at the other projects.
  • Transfer captainship to this shared user.
  • One of the TAC members changes the e-mail address of the shared user to a more permanent one, and lets the other TAC members know. (It is required for login.)
(Note, there are BOINC projects out there which do not allow changing the e-mail address of a user once created, e.g. the boinc@tacc project. But World Community Grid allows changing both nick and e-mail address after the fact, as far as I can tell.)

Is anyone taking care of steps 1-3 as @petrusbroder pointed out?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Is anyone taking care of steps 1-3 as @petrusbroder pointed out?
Username must be with 4 and 30 characters

I have an alternate account, but now what username ? Then I have to change my password.

I changed it to TAC--captain until we figure something out.

Password I will put in the SSC thread

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
ken_g6 changed the password on the account I created to the standard "tacommittee" one. He has not been online in hours now. Can someone PM me that password ?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
ken_g6 changed the password on the account I created to the standard "tacommittee" one. He has not been online in hours now. Can someone PM me that password ?
That's...an interesting question. Should several of the mods that hang out here get some level of TAC access, just in case the regular TAC people are out?

In any case, @petrusbroder should know the password as well as I do, and should have access to the new TACommittee account. Now, he needs to do step 4 and transfer captainship.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That's...an interesting question. Should several of the mods that hang out here get some level of TAC access, just in case the regular TAC people are out?

In any case, @petrusbroder should know the password as well as I do, and should have access to the new TACommittee account. Now, he needs to do step 4 and transfer captainship.
So, WCG is one of my primary tasks, and I am the number one contributor.. I create the account, as I volunteer to be the TAC rep as a backup. But now its in question that I should have access to the account I created ? Maybe I need to find another team to help. I am the number one contributor to 3 different DC projects, WCG, Rosetta and F@H.

But as I said, if that is not good enough to be a TAC member, maybe I need to find another home.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I believe there was a TAC member looking to be replaced recently, but there was no volunteer then. We have a committee for a very good reason. We have several projects locked down by inactive members. Have they died? Who knows, but forcing one's way to leadership is a bad move.

1.) We love you. We truly truly truly appreciate the massive expenditure(s) you provide to the BOINC/Folding community.
2.) I'm under the influence of all natural muscle relaxer made from potatoes.
3.) Please calm yourself. Over 40 minutes have passed for you to do so, but you've added, instead of retracted. Don't be a bcavanugh.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I believe there was a TAC member looking to be replaced recently, but there was no volunteer then. We have a committee for a very good reason. We have several projects locked down by inactive members. Have they died? Who knows, but forcing one's way to leadership is a bad move.

1.) We love you. We truly truly truly appreciate the massive expenditure(s) you provide to the BOINC/Folding community.
2.) I'm under the influence of all natural muscle relaxer made from potatoes.
3.) Please calm yourself. Over 40 minutes have passed for you to do so, but you've added, instead of retracted. Don't be a bcavanugh.
Forcing my way into leadership ? I just wanted to be part of the team, since I was the only one willing to create the account, I just wanted access to it. I don't want to lead anything, just be a backup, and I said that.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
We have several projects locked down by inactive members. Have they died
Hey Tony, I think anyone on the committee, have pass words, ect. ect, should
have phone numbers with each other as a just in case call can be made.