The suffering of the six-figure income earners, aka even the wealthy say that livin in San Francisco sucks

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
easy huh? You should reach out to the city of los angeles and let them know you figured it out.

It's easy from a public planning perspective but hard from a political perspective. For example NYC should probably eliminate street parking entirely, at least for large parts of the city. They won't do it though because wealthier people who tend to have cars want to continue to use enormously valuable land for free as their personal car storage.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I realize the sample is just you and I, but I can tell you I am the exact opposite. I wouldn't WANT to live in a big city regardless of price. Most people flock to big cities for only a few reasons. If people could have a decent wage working from anywhere they wanted I think you'd find most people would not put up with anything in NY or CA and the negatives related to population in those areas would slowly begin to fade because of it.

Except... that's not the reality poorly regulated capitalism has created. It's what happens when we let the greediest people in the solar system have their way with us too much.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I realize the sample is just you and I, but I can tell you I am the exact opposite. I wouldn't WANT to live in a big city regardless of price. Most people flock to big cities for only a few reasons. If people could have a decent wage working from anywhere they wanted I think you'd find most people would not put up with anything in NY or CA and the negatives related to population in those areas would slowly begin to fade because of it.

My sister is a programmer who works remotely. She''s in a field dominated my men. She's also gay. She makes about $120k a year. She gets to work out of her house.

Those jobs exist. You just have to be willing to find them.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It's easy from a public planning perspective but hard from a political perspective. For example NYC should probably eliminate street parking entirely, at least for large parts of the city. They won't do it though because wealthier people who tend to have cars want to continue to use enormously valuable land for free as their personal car storage.

its the same magic wand waving glenn is doing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

There is nothing magical about political will to implement proven solutions. Things change when the situation becomes untenable or enough people demand it.

NY passed congestion pricing for NYC which is a considerable change to our way of thinking. LA is in the midst of forming a massive upzone plan for DTLA which will include eliminating parking minimums, something even recently unthinkable.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Yeah but that "magic wand waving" is one means to get to core preferences which are about feelings and values instead of situational factors. Strip away theoretically fixable problems like parking spaces or job locations and people will still have underlying preferences. Just as if you waved your magic wand to magically grant free childcare you could better answer the question "do you actually want kids" than if you asked the question with the person considering whether they want kids but feel like they can't afford them and thus delay producing them.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
My sister is a programmer who works remotely. She''s in a field dominated my men. She's also gay. She makes about $120k a year. She gets to work out of her house.

Yep. I have one too and I live in the middle of nowhere like a richy rich.

Reactions: Mai72

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yep. I have one too and I live in the middle of nowhere like a richy rich.

Damn that's awesome. Have you ever traveled to Asia and worked ouit of your hotel room? I met a few guys who did this when I was living in Thailand.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Recently in my junk email account:
Redfin
New in Santa Monica at $1.44M
Stunning condo...
Built: 1963

Sigh.

I've given up working full-time to live comfortably here when part-time gets me 90% of the way there, and actually opens up time for me to enjoy it. There really is a big drop off in "income happiness" beyond $100K. But then again time now matters more than material possessions to me. And time now is far more valuable than 20-30 years from now.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Yeah but that "magic wand waving" is one means to get to core preferences which are about feelings and values instead of situational factors. Strip away theoretically fixable problems like parking spaces or job locations and people will still have underlying preferences. Just as if you waved your magic wand to magically grant free childcare you could better answer the question "do you actually want kids" than if you asked the question with the person considering whether they want kids but feel like they can't afford them and thus delay producing them.

but as eskimo said you can magic wand away other problems like income level and you would get different results.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Recently in my junk email account:
Redfin
New in Santa Monica at $1.44M
Stunning condo...
Built: 1963

Sigh.

I've given up working full-time to live comfortably here when part-time gets me 90% of the way there, and actually opens up time for me to enjoy it. There really is a big drop off in "income happiness" beyond $100K. But then again time now matters more than material possessions to me. And time now is far more valuable than 20-30 years from now.

santa monica is a great place to live. Like you would be lucky and in love every moment, if you can afford it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So what? I hope you're not trying to tell us that everybody can do that.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Damn that's awesome. Have you ever traveled to Asia and worked ouit of your hotel room? I met a few guys who did this when I was living in Thailand.

I tried to get my wife to quit her job and get an RV so we could just travel the country week to week, but she won't go for it. I have however traveled around and worked from wherever I'm at.

Reactions: Mai72