The Story Behind Day 1 Patches

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
So here's a really informative article I came across today talking about certification and day 1 patches.

http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

I knew certification was a big deal for consoles, but I never knew how convoluted the entire system is. It seems bizarre that it can takes weeks if not months for updates to be released on consoles. We seem to have been really been spoiled by Steams instant update system for years.

You got to wonder if at some point Sony and Microsoft are ever going to drop "cert" considering how close the PC and consoles are now.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I agree with the premise, however, I think if you're using the time between gold and release to finish the game or add/change significant features then there's a good chance those features aren't well thought out, and the game probably hasn't received the level of polish it should.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Consoles are never going to drop certification. Imagine an Arkham Knight scenario on consoles.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Consoles are never going to drop certification. Imagine an Arkham Knight scenario on consoles.

I'm talking more about post launch updates that need to be certified, I think that process is convoluted when rollback features exists if an update breaks something. Pre-launch certification makes sense, in fact, I think Steam really needs to somehow crack down on bad developers peddling games that are broken on launch like your Arkham scenario.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm talking more about post launch updates that need to be certified, I think that process is convoluted when rollback features exists if an update breaks something. Pre-launch certification makes sense, in fact, I think Steam really needs to somehow crack down on bad developers peddling games that are broken on launch like your Arkham scenario.

Well I think since you can now refund on steam you have an easier time when a game is released in a totally broken state.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I think one of the more interesting scenarios for this is something like The Division with its myriad of bugs and glitches where all three platforms (xbox, ps, pc) have received the same patch at differing times (not talking DLC). Makes it really interesting to read the forum for it and have to clarify which platform you are on when talking about if a bug is fixed or not, when it will be fixed, or if it will be fixed in The Division's case. Granted, that game probably the most awkwardly coded game I have ever played. Early Wildstar was close and frustrating at times but the sheer amount of ineptitude that went into The Division is mind numbing.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Cert will never end. If console games are crap on release, that blows back on the console maker as well. I've been through cert many many times and the article certainly seems right.