The stock market tomorrow up or down?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Took a 250 point hit Friday on the job numbers.

Leave a comment.

I think we're headed towards another 10% correction. Double bottom to test support FTL.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Probably be a crash tomorrow. Down 8-10% 3 -4 hours after the opening bell.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Reasons I think it'll take another hit:

The Fed is waffling about a rate cut (I'm thinking a 1% cut would stabilize the market, but I don't think they should do it, personally, the Fed's mandate is to "Ensure that enough money and credit are available to sustain economic growth without inflation.") Regardless of what Kramer says...

The Fed & European Central Bank made 90 billion available to banks to ensure liquidity on Thursday prior to the jobs # coming out.

The financial sector's problems aren't limited strictly to the financial sector, or to the US economy, and it's going to take a few months for the subprime fiasco to work it's way through the system. Who didn't see that coming BTW? With the interest only notes & all the flipping infomercials & programs on TV? People that had no business playing with that many zeros were doing so on pure speculation & greed. Not that greed is a bad thing, but stupid greed is...

Another thing that concerns me is personal credit, and in my humble opinion is the thing that's going to throw us into recession, people have been doing app-o-ramas with CC companies, and dicking around with HELOC's on the only "investment" they own.

I think Christmas sales are going to suck majorly too...

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
The Nikkei 225 average (JP:1804610: news, chart, profile) tumbled 2.9%

Australia's S&P/ASX 200 declined 1.8% to 6,163.30, New Zealand's NZX 50 index lost 0.6% at 4,125.20 and South Korea's Kospi (XX:1807211: news, chart, profile) skidded 2.9% to 1,829.45.

Marketwatch

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
With less than an hour left, it's been a pretty flat day.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
so i guess my wild guess voting for sideways was correct? luck me

i need to pay down some debt, thanks OP for scaring me!

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

The Fed is waffling about a rate cut (I'm thinking a 1% cut would stabilize the market, but I don't think they should do it, personally, the Fed's mandate is to "Ensure that enough money and credit are available to sustain economic growth without inflation.") Regardless of what Kramer says...

1% is a HUGE drop. It hasn't dropped more then .5% since 1990 (the earliest data I could find easily). 0.25% is the most anyone can realistically expect.

Sep 3, 2007
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz

1% is a HUGE drop. It hasn't dropped more then .5% since 1990 (the earliest data I could find easily). 0.25% is the most anyone can realistically expect.

Haha, if by "stabilize the market" you mean "send our currency value into an unhindered free fall." 1% rate cut = instant hyperinflation.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: residualsquare

Haha, if by "stabilize the market" you mean "send our currency value into an unhindered free fall." 1% rate cut = instant hyperinflation.

Agreed. It's pretty clear that a rate cut is only in the financial market's best interest. It'll kill your average joe. Apparently the forware curves have 100% certainty of 1% cut by December. lol.

As has been said before, cutting rates in this environment is akin to giving liquer to a drunk to cure a hangover.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: residualsquare

Agreed. It's pretty clear that a rate cut is only in the financial market's best interest. It'll kill your average joe. Apparently the forware curves have 100% certainty of 1% cut by December. lol.

As has been said before, cutting rates in this environment is akin to giving liquer to a drunk to cure a hangover.

heh i love that ugly yield curve.

let's hope bernanke is as academic as he claims