The Social Delemma

Nov 20, 2009
I watched this and found it interesting that a bunch of people associated with the establishment of various social networking companies turned around and left them due to ethical questions they had, brought up, and were ignored. This is on Nexflix and worth the watch, but I kept coming back to everything I try to understand in why young humans do what they do and again it is a parenting issue.

As bad as social networking is, out children only gain access to it when parents turn a blind eye. Sure, there are a variety of legit reasons why parents are not paying attention to and limiting their child's interaction with social network but then again ... once again ... I have to remind myself that as humans we do not license adults to having children, let alone monitor them enough on how they are raising them.

Even intelligent parents do little to monitor their child's mental health in this aspect, but then I suppose one could also say this social networking as a bad element is no difference than other constructs such as alcohol, drugs, etc.

But the data since 2010 on the impact to those not yet adults was shocking, but not surprising. What was surprising were the lack of parental intervention.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah it had good information. A little over-the-top dramatic IMO. Many here already know about most of the issues raised but I encourage everyone I know to watch it, especially those that aren't technically savvy.

I also agree that the dangers for young adults aren't really all that new. No difference to me whether someone calls the girl dumbo online or in person. I think the main thing is that parents need to try to get in front of addiction (to anything, not just tech), and in front of them attaching to much value to their online persona.

Take advantage of the parental controls early and talk to your kids often about the dangers before there are problems. Be proactive, not reactive.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Yeah it had good information. A little over-the-top dramatic IMO. Many here already know about most of the issues raised but I encourage everyone I know to watch it, especially those that aren't technically savvy.

I also agree that the dangers for young adults aren't really all that new. No difference to me whether someone calls the girl dumbo online or in person. I think the main thing is that parents need to try to get in front of addiction (to anything, not just tech), and in front of them attaching to much value to their online persona.

Take advantage of the parental controls early and talk to your kids often about the dangers before there are problems. Be proactive, not reactive.
Yes, the presentation was a bit overly dramatic, but I think you underestimate impact on young kids/adults. The movie makes a good point that humans are not all that adept at managing multiple social contacts, the more social contacts you have that harder it is to manage/cope. This is also the reason why calling a girl dumbo online is different than calling her in person. When someone calls girl bimbo online the effect is amplified because of the audience - everyone in her social circle can see it, there is no hiding it, it is a fundamentally different situation. I agree that it should be on parents to be proactive, but lets face it, most of the people on this forum are techies and we know how difficult it is to stop a determined teen from going around tech restrictions parents may put in place. It's a tough situation and there are no easy solutions to it.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I listened to it half-heartedly in the background while the wife watched it. She made me watch Bombshell last night, it ended up being okay. It sure didn't seem like the Fox news of today it was amazing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While I haven’t watched this from what I’ve read the basic problem with social media is that it’s well designed to hook people on using it but it makes them unhappy overall and is a huge conduit for destructive misinformation. So basically we have created a lie machine that makes us feel bad but we can’t seem to stop using. It’s a disaster.

I deleted Facebook a number of years ago and I have never missed it. I use Twitter but only as a news aggregator. I have never tweeted nor do I follow any friends who do. It’s great!

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Great Hack is worth the watch as well.
edit: I actually highly recommend the Great Hack and that everyone be made aware of subject matter it covers.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
While I haven’t watched this from what I’ve read the basic problem with social media is that it’s well designed to hook people on using it but it makes them unhappy overall and is a huge conduit for destructive misinformation. So basically we have created a lie machine that makes us feel bad but we can’t seem to stop using. It’s a disaster.

I deleted Facebook a number of years ago and I have never missed it. I use Twitter but only as a news aggregator. I have never tweeted nor do I follow any friends who do. It’s great!

Agreed on all points. I've also had talks with my kids about being very careful what they post along the lines of being considerate of other people's feelings and the idea that whatever you say and do on social media you can never ever take any of it back because once it's out there in the wild, it's there forever if not graphically, it's in the mind of those who are affected by my kid's postings.

Reactions: dank69