The smallest girl in the world.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Hope they can genetically screen for this (and other major genetic "conditions") in the near future.

and then do what if its detected?

Abort the baby. They do testing for plenty of other genetic defects that result in abortions.

It's tragic either way, to lose a potential future baby (early on it's not a baby imo yet) or to have a primordial dwarf for a child. Some families can't survive/support the latter.

Ticky

Feb 7, 2008
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Hope they can genetically screen for this (and other major genetic "conditions") in the near future.

Abort the pregnancy in its early stages so the woman doesn't give birth to a kid that will endure serious medical complications for the rest of their shortened life?

I hate to break it to you, but they already do screening for other genetic defects in the developing baby.

The greatest crime of the Nazi regime, in the long view, may be the bad name they gave to eugenics. That may well kill more people than the holocaust.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

Abort the pregnancy in its early stages so the woman doesn't give birth to a kid that will endure serious medical complications for the rest of their shortened life?

I hate to break it to you, but they already do screening for other genetic defects in the developing baby.

What ever happened to, "Better to have lived and loved than never loved at all?"

From what I can tell, the little darling is not in pain and parents see her as a gift from God, a daughter they love very much. Yes, it is sad that her days may be severely numbered, but I bet both she and the parents wouldn't have it any other way.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
OH MAN, I would love to stick her in a little metalic suit and tell hot chicks I created a cyborg. Major putang would come my way.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Renob

Why, its nature's way things are never perfect, oh and by the way are you a Nazi?
There are lots of parents who don't want to have a child with genetic problems, especially if they wind up contributing to a significantly shorter lifespan, or to suffering from severe health problems. Nature does this on its own plenty of time, either in the form of sperm that never make it as far as the egg, or perhaps miscarriages. Nature determines that "something" is wrong somewhere, and so the process is aborted. But it's not perfect, as you say.

Compassion for all life could be interpreted to mean that you will prevent suffering.

That said, one word about screening: Gattaca.

Originally posted by: EarthwormJim
Abort the baby. They do testing for plenty of other genetic defects that result in abortions.

It's tragic either way, to lose a potential future baby (early on it's not a baby imo yet) or to have a primordial dwarf for a child. Some families can't survive/support the latter.
Agreed. Abortion of any kind isn't (or rather, shouldn't) be just one of those things you do in between picking up a Big Mac at McDonald's and getting a tank of gas. It is going to be a rough decision.

(And to anyone, don't try the tired old argument, "What if someone aborted for genetic problems would grow up to be the next Einstein?" Right, and then of course, that's followed with, "Ok, what if they're the next Hitler?" I'm sure millions of people wish Hitler's parents had had an abortion.)

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I saw a show where one was in her twentys and was married to a full sized man.
When they kissed in public, people would accuse him of being a pedophile.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Originally posted by: CasioTech
OH MAN, I would love to stick her in a little metalic suit and tell hot chicks I created a cyborg. Major putang would come my way.

And pass by you with a loud wooshing sound.

PWNED.

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by: edro
I saw a show where one was in her twentys and was married to a full sized man.
When they kissed in public, people would accuse him of being a pedophile.

Don't lie, we know it was you :D