The Sims: 100 million copies sold, $4 billion franchise

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Wow. I didn't realize it was that big. I played it at one point and got bored. I didn't really find it fun to control other peoples' boring lives.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Dear goodness....

To think, that I have never played The Sims even after all of that. (Just thought that simulating going to work would not be very fun)

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I have the 1st one, deluxe version. Sometimes I build my dream house in it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I must be one of the few gamers out there who never actually played any of the The Sims games, seriously, I haven't. I've seen only a few videos from YouTube and other web sites, some trailers, a little of game-play, but other than that... nothing. It never interested me.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I always thought The Sims games were pretty good if you had the time and imagination to do role-playing and character development, ever since The Sims 2 and the expansions you built up your family and gained an immense income way too fast. I played The Sims 2 for maybe about 30 hours and then I got bored with it, the game just became stale and it was too easy, even with a HUGE family includings kids and everything it was still a piece of cake earning enough money and keeping everyone happy.

I'm not that interested in The Sims 3 simply because the game is steering way too much away from what made the original Sims a revolution and an outstanding fun, simple game.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
I thought it was pretty fun for a while. I might go dig out the CDs.

If I remember correctly, I didn't like The Sims 2 as much.

flunky nassau

Feb 17, 2007
i have contributed $50 of that $4 billion. Played Sims 2 with fiance for awhile.

I have never played World of Warcraft. Now that's a feat.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
i have contributed $50 of that $4 billion. Played Sims 2 with fiance for awhile.

I have never played World of Warcraft. Now that's a feat.

Same here :D

I never played the original Sims, but bought Sims 2 and never plan on going anywhere near WoW after watching it ruin so many peoples' lives.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
The sims 1 was awesome, i didnt like the sims 2 much, it ran like a dog back in 2004 and it still runs badly and things are too customizeable, theres such a thing as too many options. I just couldnt be bothered with it, sims 1 can still be lots of fun though :)

schizoid77

Mar 4, 2008
I played the Sims 2 for about a week. It was a novelty game, then I realized I do all that stuff in RL, so what's the point. I prefer to kill aliens in my spare time.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I used to love Sim City when I was growing up. I even bought it for my phone last year. I have never played the Sims though. A couple of the girls I've dated played it though.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
My sister has every expansion. I played it for a while, but as someone already said, eventually it gets too easy. I haven't played it in a long time because now I just don't have the time that's required to play the game all out. I usually just played as a bachelor who had 7 girlfriends and would sleep with a different one every night. It's real easy to keep a guy happy that way.

Oct 4, 2004
I played 'The Sims Complete Collection', the original game with all the expansions. Some of them were rather poor - Vacation added nothing to the game. Even the Superstar expansion did little to enhance the game. Unleashed with the 'pets' was nice (you could fill your Social requirement much quicker by just playing with a dog, as opposed to talking, entertaining, tickling, hugging and kissing a human). The thing is extremely addictive for the first ten days, as you level up and buy all the expensive stuff.

After that, it gets dull real fast. You constantly keep tabs on friends' ratings, careful not to lose one lest you get demoted at work. Hell, I used to queue up several actions all the time. My Sims always had a queue of at least half-a-dozen actions. And then of course, there were issues with pathfinding.

Very clockwork. Didn't even bother with The Sims 2 because I suspected it would be more of the same.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I played Sims 2 for about 20 minutes & then got bored with it ... my older daughter on the other hand has every expansion pack (I just bought her Kitchen & Bathroom stuff today!) and has been playing it constantly since it was released.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I played it a little. At first I was suprised by the expansion packs since I thought half the fun was making stuff, and getting stuff from other people.