The Simplest & Best Fax Modem?

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Can anyone tell me who makes the simplest and most reliable fax modem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, or is it simpler to stick to a a conventional fax machine?

Or should I just get a modem, and is there some fax software out there better then what is available with fax modems?

How is the Windows XP Fax software?

ALOHA

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
AFAIK every dial-up modem made in the last decade is also a fax modem, and they're all the same barring some high-end external one that has (probably useless) extras like onboard RAM buffers.

The main advantages of a dedicated fax are:
- built in document-feeding scanner
- doesn't tie up your PC

The main advantages of a PC fax are:
- can print a fax from a document
- high-end software (not XP fax thing) can offer unlimited broadcasting, scheduling, other stuff.

If you want better answers, it would help to explain what you're trying to do though. Currently you've written the equivalent of a "help me build a new PC" post where they don't list a budget or what applications it will be used for.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I just need a cheap HOME setup to receive is all, I don't plan on sending, so I just wanted something simple, and that is why I was thinking maybe the conventional fax machine would be the best way to go, but then I'll need paper and ink over time, more money with this then software on the PC which will be cheaper.

I just wanted the simplest and easiest solution that is all, and I've never used Fax software, so I didn't know how good and reliable they are.

ALOHA

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
I used to use Winfax Pro about 10 years ago on our home PC with a fax modem as part of a side business when I was a kid.

The main issue with the setup you describe is that your PC has to be on and with the fax software running 24/7/365. If you use the PC for gaming and other things this can be very annoying. Yes, you will save cost in terms of paper and toner but that depends on how often you are receiving faxes.

Personally, I would pick up a cheap dedicated fax/copier/all in one type thing, or even a used one from eBay for cheap, especially if it is not mission critical. It's easier than fiddling with software, especially for receive only (as said above, the advantages for fax software relate to sending).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Do you always know when a fax will be sent to you? If so, a fax modem might be OK.

What about a fax service like eFax? No hardware needed, no second phone line or distinctive ring needed.