The shoe throwing incident...did it make you feel good?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
It made me feel happy to see a shoe thrown at George W. Bush. It would have made me happier if it had been an American that threw the shoe. It made me mad that the shoe was thrown at George W. Bush while at the same time he happened to be the POTUS. The fact that it was a foreign reporter who threw the shoe at our President is like him throwing the shoe at a symbol of us. Seeing as how the President happened to be the particular person that it was at the time (G.W.), I only wish it had hit its mark. I guess you could say I have mixed feelings on the issue LOL :p

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Good news! An Iraqi court reduced his sentence from 3 years to 1 year, presumably because they realized how big of a douchebag GWB is.

Or maybe because (luckily for him) the shoe missed.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Good news! An Iraqi court reduced his sentence from 3 years to 1 year, presumably because they realized how big of a douchebag GWB is.

So hes getting one year of jailhouse lovin' from larger inmates, along with getting his ass kicked right after the incident?

Still works for me.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
That's really magnanimous of you to decide it was OK to kills hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi men, women, and children because it was for their own good. Perhaps instead of playing God, we should have let them reach their own decisions about their fates and the fate of their country ... especially given the Bush administration and its supporters never gave a tinker's damn about the people of Iraq. It's bad enough we unilaterally attacked the country based on false pretenses. Trying to then justify the slaughter as "for their own good" crosses the line from malevolent to evil.
Yeah, it's better to allow millions of Iraqis to live under oppression and tyranny, with no hope of ever having a brighter future. Why, what a perfect solution. Don't get involved and that way you don't have to feel guilt because you can just claim that the problems of other human beings are not your problem. 'Iraqis? pfft. Too bad. Sucks to be them. Dey ain't 'mericons. Let 'em fester under Saddam.'

Honestly I don't see what the Iraquis are so pissed off at us about. . .so we killed hundreds of thousands of them. Wasn't Saddam already killing them by the truckload anyway? I guess the difference is at least when Saddam was doing it he was their a$$h0le, not some bunch of foreign invader a$$h0les.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
You do realize this was more of an insult than an attack, right?

Yeah yeah, in Arab cultures showing the bottom of your shoe to somebody is an insult we get it. However in pretty much every culture hurling a projectile at somebody is considered a ranged attack. So the reporter managed to both attack and insult GW at the same time. If the reporter really meant only to insult, he could have simply removed his shoe, held it up in the air above his head with the sole pointed at GW and yelled, "Mr. Bush, look at this you infidel!" He didn't have to throw it.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

You do know the difference between "assault" and "battery" dont you?

It was a clear assault. It would have been battery if the shoe hit.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: ayabe
He is still POTUS and still deserves respect.
this.

Respect is never deserved. It is earned.

Earned by being elected President of the United States.

Really, sorry, not a chance. He stole the election in 2000. He deserves as much respect as he gives. I would not hesitate to tell that to him in a minute. He's a coward, liar, criminal, thief, none of those should garner any respect.

Feb 16, 2005
Ok, I guess people are still willing to gobble dumbya's knob. Even after everything he did to us as a country and the world in general, you're still willing to swallow. Jesus....

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
I think it's a complete disgrace that somebody in the country we liberated would be that disrespectful.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Liberated ... dude they didn't want us in Iraq in the first place...

Damn... The disrespectful should be us for "INVADING" a country for it's resources.

Bush was the worst president in US history and he should have had more things thrown at him... Hell, he should have been thrown out on his ass with the next day garbage.

The only sad part about the whole ordeal was that the shoe thrower got beaten and sent to prison for such a long time. In a country that throwing shoes is a gesture and common.

Mission Accomplished utter failure.

but thanks for the laugh!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: ericlp
I think it's a complete disgrace that somebody in the country we liberated would be that disrespectful.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Liberated ... dude they didn't want us in Iraq in the first place...

Damn... The disrespectful should be us for "INVADING" a country for it's resources.

Bush was the worst president in US history and he should have had more things thrown at him... Hell, he should have been thrown out on his ass with the next day garbage.

The only sad part about the whole ordeal was that the shoe thrower got beaten and sent to prison for such a long time. In a country that throwing shoes is a gesture and common.

Interesting. What resources would those be, exactly?

We have put far more $$$ into the whole debacle than we will ever get out of it. The Iraqis signed oil contracts with just about everyone.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: OCguy

We have put far more $$$ into the whole debacle than we will ever get out of it. The Iraqis signed oil contracts with just about everyone.

We sure have. Of course that speaks to the incompetence of Bush's administration, not to the intent of our invasion. Our government was expecting to spend a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of what we have spent.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ahurtt

Honestly I don't see what the Iraquis are so pissed off at us about. . .so we killed hundreds of thousands of them. Wasn't Saddam already killing them by the truckload anyway? I guess the difference is at least when Saddam was doing it he was their a$$h0le, not some bunch of foreign invader a$$h0les.

Saddam wasn't killing his people by the truckload, at least not the ones that are mad at us. If you look at things up in Iraqi Kurdistan, they are generally very happy with how things turned out... and it's one of the areas that's seen very low levels of violence both internally and against US troops.

Now if you're talking about the non-Kurd parts of Iraq, Saddam didn't really kill that many of them. (of course that's a relative scale and it's not excusing the people he did kill) Our invasion unleashed a hideous outpouring of violence that caused far more deaths to be inflicted upon these segments of the population than Saddam ever did. That's why the Kurds generally like us, and the Arabs generally hate us.

So the US being at least partially responsible for the slaughter of countless thousands of Arabs and their family members is what 'the Iraqis are so pissed off at us about'.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Ok, I guess people are still willing to gobble dumbya's knob. Even after everything he did to us as a country and the world in general, you're still willing to swallow. Jesus....

we understand your lashing out, all that pain u feel is barry laying the bone in your ass after all that sweetalk you believed... be careful, its him, not gwb, listening on your calls now... maybe you ought to start now looking for a new sig line...

your tired bullshit is just getting sadder and sadder...

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Jeee, I wonder what resources those would be... Don't kid yourself. Come on... I'm sure bush is still getting kick backs from lining his pockets along with others from his Iraq deal. I don't believe for a second that big oil companies had it written up for them in favor of them and not in favor of us. Tho, I'm sure bush and his cronies will be getting rich off this for a very long time.

Corruption at it's finest.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Proof that the US killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis?

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

Proof that the US killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis?

That was originally posted as a sarcastic response to something Bowfinger said. Please don't take it out of context and act like I was actually saying it with conviction. I have no intention of actually providing any proof for that statement with regards to how many Iraquis have actually been killed by American forces or by Saddam Hussein himself. My point was mainly to say that, Hey Saddam may have been an A-hole but he was THEIR A-hole just like Bush may have been an A-hole but he was OUR A-hole. You might wanna test the batteries in your sarcasm-meter.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Bush was a sad pathetic figure of a man by that time of his presidency so it was kind of disheartening. If it would have been Cheney on the other hand well...

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
As far as I'm concerned, that Iraqi didn't throw his turd seeking 10-EE's at our President so much as he threw them at the man who caused his pain and suffering. It was personal, mano-a-mano.

Bush threw his stomp'in boots full of shock and awe at the Iraqi's and they ducked, died, got maimed and suffered immensely for it, and an Iraqi threw his shoes full of the resultant frustration and hate back at Bush and he ducked.

Tit for tat. Justice is done. Fini.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
You're a disgusting human being. There's still plenty of brown people over there that need killin'. Why don't you sign up, hero?

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: JKing106
You're a disgusting human being. There's still plenty of brown people over there that need killin'. Why don't you sign up, hero?

Obama seems to be killing them just fine.. not sure he needs any more help.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Yeah yeah, in Arab cultures showing the bottom of your shoe to somebody is an insult we get it. However in pretty much every culture hurling a projectile at somebody is considered a ranged attack. So the reporter managed to both attack and insult GW at the same time. If the reporter really meant only to insult, he could have simply removed his shoe, held it up in the air above his head with the sole pointed at GW and yelled, "Mr. Bush, look at this you infidel!" He didn't have to throw it.

You do realize he said 'more of', not 'only', right? It was trivial as an attack, not an attack to do any real harm.

I think the touching of the shoe made it more degrading. Remember the photos of the Iraqis banging their shoes on the statue of Saddam? They didn't point the shoe at it.