The scariest job you ever had?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Translation: I have no response to that, now I will redirect attention from my continued failure, again, this time by namecalling and asserting what I hope is true.

GG, troll. You've played that card way too many times for it to have a chance with me. You should have just admitted your "behind the scenes" BS was a fish story and moved on. Most likely, that would have actually gained you some respect.

I'm done now; go on, get the last word in, you know you need to.

It hardly was, and as someone from MENSA of all things you should understand the difference between a percentile score that is a demographic ranking and a raw score.

However; your results were no where equal to mine (even the first attempt I showed).

A 98.5%ile is much higher than a 98% in reality. Also being you took your's after college at around 25 years old, versus a 16 year old's score.

My second attempt was a straight 99% across all four. The RAW score they do not give you, but I was sat down and explained what all of it meant.

Sorry you were an under achiever. I should have joined MENSA to just shut your type up.

Enjoy spending $60 year for your membership.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
ok the drama is too much for me guys

i'm out

nYeDml5.gif

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i think the scariest thing i had to do at work was run a 3 hour meeting

about something i knew almost nothing about

with client devs and architects who were paying my employer 10x my hourly wage for my time

3 months after i graduated from college

Reactions: Muse

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The scariest job I ever had was one time as a professional pole dancer/navy seal I had to use a 20ft tall pole!! I am afraid of heights...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I was a volunteer firefighter for 31 years. Found myself in some situations where I recognized at the time this could go really bad very very fast. Training and backup from equally trained firefighters, and we all walked away. Worst I got was some 2nd degree burns and some broken ribs.

Most rewarding thing I ever did? The same thing. There is a bond with the people you go through these things with. Firefighters are a brotherhood, unlike anything else I experienced. I am proud that my grandsons are firefighters, and yes I also worry about them.

Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
My sister's husband was a career fireman, and was struck down on the job at the age of 31. It is a very dangerous profession, and he's been in a wheelchair for 45 years with that injury.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I work retail and that is the scariest job you could ever have. Not because of Covid but because of all the entitled motherfuckers who if they don't get there way pitch a fucking hissy fit and carry on like a 3yo child.
Boomers are the goddamn worst when it comes to this shit but GenXers aren't to far behind them.

If you haven't worked retail in the last 5 years or are gonna go all "Heyz I worked retail when I was 16 so I understand" then gtfo because you don't get it. You're already one of them you just haven't realized it yet.

Reactions: Muse

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
That one time I had to give a bikini wax to Boomer... still have nightmares to this day. :eek:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I work retail and that is the scariest job you could ever have. Not because of Covid but because of all the entitled motherfuckers who if they don't get there way pitch a fucking hissy fit and carry on like a 3yo child.
Boomers are the goddamn worst when it comes to this shit but GenXers aren't to far behind them.

If you haven't worked retail in the last 5 years or are gonna go all "Heyz I worked retail when I was 16 so I understand" then gtfo because you don't get it. You're already one of them you just haven't realized it yet.

I'd be terrified if I was a grown ass man working in retail.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd like to open a store as my retirement job, just so I could throw entitled fucks out when they pissed me off. I don't play that "customer's always right" game. The customer more times than not is a mouth breathing imbecile. There was a little store on the outskirts of a state park that was in my price range, but there was no parking; like almost zero. If I had a car there, you /might/ be able to squeeze in two more, but one is more realistic. Just not feasible...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd like to open a store as my retirement job, just so I could throw entitled fucks out when they pissed me off. I don't play that "customer's always right" game. The customer more times than not is a mouth breathing imbecile. There was a little store on the outskirts of a state park that was in my price range, but there was no parking; like almost zero. If I had a car there, you /might/ be able to squeeze in two more, but one is more realistic. Just not feasible...

You could have a door behind the main counter that says "manager". When they ask you to speak to the manager, just let them in, and the door just goes outside the back alley of the store.

Actually it would be so fun to run a store and be the owner, but just act like an employee. The fun you could have... Do and say all the things you've always wanted to but could not because you would get in trouble, but now you can because you're the owner!

Reactions: lxskllr

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Yep this is what I'm talking about. An entitled motherfucker with a sense of superiority. I deal with shitheads like this everyday.

I hate to quote myself but I feel like I have to.

Well I may be a shit head but what I said is true. You are living in a nightmare that is being a fully formed adult having to take shit from the general public.