The Ryzen "ThreadRipper"... 16 cores of awesome

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
- Next level being TR where users can get by with less support, less high cost, but lower power efficiency and higher clock speeds.

Actually best dies are for TR, this was confirmed by AMD to Hardware.fr, ratio is 2% of the functional dies.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Tr 32c:
Select 0.3% of the best dies in a 360w configuration
Team up with gskill and some world famous oc guy - think Beats headphones
Let "him" set up bios and ram (well actually its ofc the stilt but you get the idea)
Only 3 approved coolers
Only 2 approved mb
Wrapped in a wooden box
Heavy metal
Fire up blender, a few vm, and game streaming at the same time
Youtube pr

Personally i hate stuff like this but you see people that only use their computer for gaming droll over a 14c sklx what not, so imo its absolutely a dirt cheap way to strenghten your brand. I dont undersrand they dont do it.

Guru

May 5, 2017
What makes you think this statement is true? Do you have a technical article that would support your claim?

Anandtech and others top reviewers mentioning this in their review and news articles. Plus Intel in their own slides make mention of this several times, claiming how their monolithic processors are better because they are monolithic, while AMD's is "glued" several cpu's together.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Anandtech and others top reviewers mentioning this in their review and news articles. Plus Intel in their own slides make mention of this several times, claiming how their monolithic processors are better because they are monolithic, while AMD's is "glued" several cpu's together.
Ehh, just because Intel claims that that they are "monolithic", does NOT mean that their 10,12,14,16,18 dies are DIFFERENT chips. You've heard the term "binning", right? That means that Intel only produces three different dies off of their assembly line, a LCC, MCC, and HCC dies. Thereafter, they test them, and for those chips that have defective cores, they laser them off, and sell them as a lower core-count chip.

Reactions: Drazick

Gundark

May 1, 2011
Plus Intel in their own slides make mention of this several times, claiming how their monolithic processors are better because they are monolithic, while AMD's is "glued" several cpu's together.
Wasn't that the same explanation that AMD gave for the weak performance of Phenom 1? That Intel cores aren't truly 4 cores, that they are glued two 2 core dies? History repeating.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Ehh, just because Intel claims that that they are "monolithic", does NOT mean that their 10,12,14,16,18 dies are DIFFERENT chips. You've heard the term "binning", right? That means that Intel only produces three different dies off of their assembly line, a LCC, MCC, and HCC dies. Thereafter, they test them, and for those chips that have defective cores, they laser them off, and sell them as a lower core-count chip.
Beat me to it!
He is right about AMD having an advantage though with multiple dies.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I'd be interested to see a 1900x vs. 1800x comparison. Not just performance, but power usage too.
Roughly 10% price difference, maybe slightly more.
Quad channel mem and the extra pcie sound nice, but otherwise I don't think i'll regret my 1800x/am4 purchase.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Wasn't that the same explanation that AMD gave for the weak performance of Phenom 1? That Intel cores aren't truly 4 cores, that they are glued two 2 core dies? History repeating.
2 Things. 1 Phenom didn't have weak performance. It's performance was really good. Just there was a bug that was missed during development that prevented the clocks that they were simulating. It had nothing to do with monolithic vs. multiple dies. 2. They did state that theirs was a true quad core and true dual core when comparing the Phenom and X2 vs the C2Q and PD respectively. But they didn't called Intel's glued, they didn't even say their method was better just implied it by making it seem like the more technical marvel.

In the end though there was a huge difference between that implementation of MCM and this one. The performance may be better when maintained through one die or one CCX. But it's so much better then the PD and C2Q. There were no cross talk between the dies. It's all through FSB like they were actual dual CPU systems. So instead of a setup that is kind of like multiple CPUs those were actual multi CPU setups. Comparatively what AMD is doing is like 10x better.

stockolicious

Jun 5, 2017
For clarity:
1) Intel already has a 28c/56t CPU. While it costs an arm and a leg because it is a monolithic die, there's no technical reason why Intel can't release higher core counts for HEDT with a X299v2 in the future (margins aside). It's pretty clear that's what they're doing in X299 by making HCC dies available to HEDT for the first time.
Source: https://ark.intel.com/products/family/595/Intel-Xeon-Processors
2) Intel already has their version of "glue" in the works. It's simply the most economical way to scale to more cores without breaking the bank. Expect more cores in the core wars from everyone, Soon.™
3) AMD has confirmed that Threadripper is 2 dies + 2 silicon spacers. Even if it was 4 dies, X399 is quad channel, and you get 2 channels of memory from each die... there's nothing stopping AMD from releasing a Zen 2 with more cores, but for now Threadripper tops out at 16c/32t. You want more cores? Get Epyc 1P or 2P and knock yourself out with 32 or 64 cores.

I agree that Intel has enough money to do anything they want - that much has not changed. But If they had their version of "Super Glue" close to fruition they would have mentioned it - more than once.

I think in the end - i mean a few years from now its going to become clear that the big mistake that intel made while having a CPU monopoly is not buying Nvidia when they had the chance. GPU tech is needed for everything now it seems. Not only in gaming PC's and AI machines but also APU's and it seems Intel gave up on that market. they let their agreement with Nvidia lapse - they are still making a ton of cash as nothing happens overnight but Intel's CEO looks clueless to me. If AMD's claims about Raven Ridge are true they will have the best APU on the market and will finally get the design wins they could not get with their old bulldozer type APU's. As we all know it was AMDs CPU problems that kept them from having the best APU in the first place.

The trouble at Intel is real - they need new leadership - and kudo's to AMD for putting together some impressive stuff in Ryzen/Threadripper.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
1) You're assuming Intel won't adapt. They will. See: Conroe.
Back when Intel put everything on Netburst they were still continuing the traditional design (Pentium 3) line with the mobile oriented Pentium M, and that is what they turned into Core 2. Today I'm not sure what alternate design they could pull out of their hat. Atom? =P

Mind, I personally think their actual core design is the least of their issues. In the last decade they just chose to put the focus of their R&D on advancing their own iGPU as well as bloating up AVX.

I'd be interested to see a 1900x vs. 1800x comparison. Not just performance, but power usage too.
Roughly 10% price difference, maybe slightly more.
Quad channel mem and the extra pcie sound nice, but otherwise I don't think i'll regret my 1800x/am4 purchase.
The big difference between 1900x and 1800x is the uncore (the thing that offers memory, PCIe lanes etc.), which can amount to up to 25 watts TDP per die, and Threadripper has two of them. Accordingly Threadripper has way higher energy consumption while idle.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I agree that Intel has enough money to do anything they want - that much has not changed. But If they had their version of "Super Glue" close to fruition they would have mentioned it - more than once.

The CPU products that use EMIB aren't ready yet. I'm sure as they get closer to release you'll see Intel hype it a wee bit.

Back when Intel put everything on Netburst they were still continuing the traditional design (Pentium 3) line with the mobile oriented Pentium M, and that is what they turned into Core 2. Today I'm not sure what alternate design they could pull out of their hat. Atom? =P

Sapphire Rapids. Although if it's radically different the core design is likely to be very server oriented and not much else.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Mind, I personally think their actual core design is the least of their issues. In the last decade they just chose to put the focus of their R&D on advancing their own iGPU as well as bloating up AVX.

The big difference between 1900x and 1800x is the uncore (the thing that offers memory, PCIe lanes etc.), which can amount to up to 25 watts TDP per die, and Threadripper has two of them. Accordingly Threadripper has way higher energy consumption while idle.
They wanted
They brought out Pentium M because Pentium 4-M was garbage. The Israeli team apparently had to do some persuasion to get Pentium M to be powering laptops despite it being difficult task to market something with such lower clockspeeds.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Sapphire Rapids. Although if it's radically different the core design is likely to be very server oriented and not much else.
Yeah, wanted to ask if that also applies to Tiger Lake as as you indicated Sapphire Rapids is intended for data centers.

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017
They can't turn up the speed on the EPYC chips. Not really. The R7 is already an extremely efficient die at 1800x considering the core count. The R1700 takes it to another level. But power usage as you see on TR is pretty linear. The 1950x is roughly 2x 1800. Stands to reason that the same would apply to an EPYC. 4x ~90w usage would be 360w. 4x 65w would be 260w.

As we know with the 1700 it generally doesn't clock as high as a 1800x. So chances are they aren't really competing in dies. A TR die is about clocking as high as possible within a power envelope. An EPYC die is about hitting a pretty low clockspeed with as low a power usage as possible. A 7601 for example uses the same 180w. That means for it's clockspeed it needs to limit power usage to 45w a die vs. 90w on TR. They are basically on the competing ends of the spectrum. EPYC is also not going to see a jump in power allowance since cooling is more restricted in the server space than desktop and even then AMD would need to open it up to an insane 360w for the die choices to compete.

That's pretty much what I meant actually.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001

Yeah, that seem to be one of the big drawbacks. It's a monster :)

stockolicious

Jun 5, 2017
Intel CAN drop prices - isn't their margin like 50-60%? There is no doubt AMD can make CPUs cheaper at this stage, but Intel doesn't have to be cheaper - only a little less expensive. If they dropped the 7900 down to $799, I'd take it over the 1920X. For that matter, if they dropped it even as low as $850, I'd probably still take it over the 1920.

"but Intel doesn't have to be cheaper - only a little less expensive"

that becomes an interesting question that it appears AMD has thought about that alot and INTL has not. Its not the CPU's itself AMD seemed to realize they could get an incremental advantage if they didn't segment their products like INTC has. Every Ryzen board has 64 pci lanes vs 44 at the high end for intel and as you go down he stack it gets more apparent. So AMD wasn't just thinking about Ryzen CPU vs Zeon CPU but the whole package around the chip. AMD was strategic and Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC seem to be the real deal - the combination is why Intel cant just cut prices - Right now Intel is offering more price for less options and less performance in multithreaded workloads(which is kinda what these chips are for) I admit I don't have 1% of the technical knowlege some folks on this board have but business modeling is a passion of mine. This battle between Intel and AMD will be in case studies in college one day due to how complicated a duopoly it is.

stockolicious

Jun 5, 2017
Personally I like to have a fairly beefy pc but I won't pay a premium so I can get slightly higher benchmarks. Yet I have no problem spending 7.5k on a watch and I have to service that regularly at a grand a pop.

I don't see Intel's grip slipping. Their hardware is everywhere. Like I was posting earlier they sold 75000 CPUs in one sale. If this was a watch forum Intel would be rolex not sure who AMD would be.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1rXqD6M614

"Their hardware is everywhere" yes that is true and they have done a great job marketing the "brand" but CPU's are a commodity (part of an end product) in a Monopoly you can try to brand it but if you look at the Steve Jobs vid above he explains that this happens to tech companies who have a monopoly. your also correct on INTL's scale - they are everywhere but the challenge now is that they have a company who is competing against them with a chip to chip cost advantage (not scale) INTC needs a competitive redesign.

Much like AMD needed a redesign when they had bulldozer burning down houses. AMD had an aweful design there but what they have done here is thrown a last minute touchdown pass with a low cost to make high performance CPU that scales from top to bottom.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1rXqD6M614

"Their hardware is everywhere" yes that is true and they have done a great job marketing the "brand" but CPU's are a commodity (part of an end product) in a Monopoly you can try to brand it but if you look at the Steve Jobs vid above he explains that this happens to tech companies who have a monopoly. your also correct on INTL's scale - they are everywhere but the challenge now is that they have a company who is competing against them with a chip to chip cost advantage (not scale) INTC needs a competitive redesign.

Much like AMD needed a redesign when they had bulldozer burning down houses. AMD had an aweful design there but what they have done here is thrown a last minute touchdown pass with a low cost to make high performance CPU that scales from top to bottom.

I agree. I am hoping to see AMD make an impact in the high end enterprise OEM workstation space with threadripper and the vega radeon pro.

Mar 10, 2006
2 Things. 1 Phenom didn't have weak performance. It's performance was really good. Just there was a bug that was missed during development that prevented the clocks that they were simulating. It had nothing to do with monolithic vs. multiple dies. 2. They did state that theirs was a true quad core and true dual core when comparing the Phenom and X2 vs the C2Q and PD respectively. But they didn't called Intel's glued, they didn't even say their method was better just implied it by making it seem like the more technical marvel.

In the end though there was a huge difference between that implementation of MCM and this one. The performance may be better when maintained through one die or one CCX. But it's so much better then the PD and C2Q. There were no cross talk between the dies. It's all through FSB like they were actual dual CPU systems. So instead of a setup that is kind of like multiple CPUs those were actual multi CPU setups. Comparatively what AMD is doing is like 10x better.

phenom11-800.jpg

Reactions: Gideon