The Role of College

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
College has and always will remain primarily an institution for learning. Colleges have always used this reasoning when it has come to their graduates not finding jobs. But with the costs of college increasing rapidly on an annual basis, do you guys believe that colleges should take more responsibility for getting their graduates on track to get their foots in the door?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
College has and always will remain primarily an institution for learning. Colleges have always used this reasoning when it has come to their graduates not finding jobs. But with the costs of college increasing rapidly on an annual basis, do you guys believe that colleges should take more responsibility for getting their graduates on track to get their foots in the door?

um, they do. at least mine did.

Atomicus

Banned
May 20, 2004
Poor way to raise educated people now isn't it? Want to be spoon-fed? Then go back to pre-school. :roll:

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
i think colleges should take more time to work with students to figure out what type of jobs really suit them.

i was able to get a job, but i feel like i wish i had more guidance as to what i really should be doing. ill be going to law school this fall, but to tell you the truth, i don't find myself incredibly passionate about it. on the other hand, maybe there's nothing feasible for me to do that i'm passionate about. perhaps i will develop a love for law. i have no clue. maybe that's the problem right there.....

hahahahah

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Atomicus
Poor way to raise educated people now isn't it? Want to be spoon-fed? Then go back to pre-school. :roll:

I like pre-school. Where is my blanket for nap time?

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I'm not saying that professors should start taking job interviews for you, or writing your resume. I'm talking about offering classes that deal with the transition from college to the "real world." It's quite an adjustment, as many of you surely know. Maybe i'm in the minority on this issue, or maybe I just had a bad career resource center to deal with.

Atomicus

Banned
May 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Triforceofcourage
Originally posted by: Atomicus

I like pre-school. Where is my blanket for nap time?

I never had a blanket.... was I not aware of the neglect? :confused:

Nov 7, 2000
most schools have good resources from what i have seen. but i dont think its really their responsibility to find you a job.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'd rather see colleges operating as every other businesses with real, tangible penalties when they fail to provide the services that they are being paid to provide.

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
I'd rather see colleges operating as every other businesses with real, tangible penalties when they fail to provide the services that they are being paid to provide.

the failures i have seen in college are not due to the institution, but rather the patrons

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero

there's a small segment of the population that can only function in academia. they don't last in the real world. what would they do?! :laugh:

Nov 17, 2004
Don't go to college unless you want to be educated in the field you study. If you don't want to learn it, you probably won't get a good job doing it. If you love what you're being taught, you will have NO problem finding work later to pay for your education. Knowing how to get a job is just one of the adult responsibilities you're expected to be able to do on your own, but you can get help from most any college. Also, if more colleges made employment deals with specific employers, the college system would just roll farther down the road to hell.

May 16, 2000

No. School is 100% about learning.

Wait, let me clarify.

Public school thru 8th grade should be 100% about learning. 9-12 grade public schools should be an option between 100% learning, or 100% job preparation, or MAYBE a 50/50 split...but it should be up to the person to decide (or their families), not the state.

I would like to see the return of jc's (junior colleges) as an institute of pure learning, and see colleges go purely vocational. Then turn higher learning into universities which are 100% learning. In any school today you see schools of vocation: school of education, school of engineering, etc. Seems that by uniting those schools nationwide by function instead of location, you'd achieve better results. I mean, having a masters in business management hardly qualifies you as 'highly educated'...I've seen that course list. It prepares you for a vocation, and that's fine, but let's call a duck a duck. Seperate vocation from education. Any science degree or even most liberal arts degree's have far more rounded paths of learning. I find it offensive to rate masters in business, masters in history, and masters in engineering as anything approaching equivalent educations.

This way, you could choose by 9th grade to prepare for work, or prepare for higher learning, change your mind after high school if you chose to, and still have options to continue on your track.

The most important thing, from my perspective, is to get sports (except in a manner of physical education), politics, social acclimation and job preparation OUT of schools of learning. I see too many people focusing on social aptitude/integration and not enough focus on learning and thinking. If you want to be a social butterfly that's fine, but go be with your own kind to do it...don't take away from my learning environment for it.

Schools are being held far to accountable and parents and individuals not NEARLY enough so.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

Wait, let me clarify.

Public school thru 8th grade should be 100% about learning. 9-12 grade public schools should be an option between 100% learning, or 100% job preparation, or MAYBE a 50/50 split...but it should be up to the person to decide (or their families), not the state.

I would like to see the return of jc's (junior colleges) as an institute of pure learning, and see colleges go purely vocational. Then turn higher learning into universities which are 100% learning. In any school today you see schools of vocation: school of education, school of engineering, etc. Seems that by uniting those schools nationwide by function instead of location, you'd achieve better results. I mean, having a masters in business management hardly qualifies you as 'highly educated'...I've seen that course list. It prepares you for a vocation, and that's fine, but let's call a duck a duck. Seperate vocation from education. Any science degree or even most liberal arts degree's have far more rounded paths of learning. I find it offensive to rate masters in business, masters in history, and masters in engineering as anything approaching equivalent educations.

This way, you could choose by 9th grade to prepare for work, or prepare for higher learning, change your mind after high school if you chose to, and still have options to continue on your track.

The most important thing, from my perspective, is to get sports (except in a manner of physical education), politics, social acclimation and job preparation OUT of schools of learning. I see too many people focusing on social aptitude/integration and not enough focus on learning and thinking. If you want to be a social butterfly that's fine, but go be with your own kind to do it...don't take away from my learning environment for it.

Schools are being held far to accountable and parents and individuals not NEARLY enough so.

^^That sounds a lot like the school system in france(maybe europe?) that my cultures teacher talked about in highschool.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
college was reallyjsut a place to grow up. i dont really think i learned anything there i wouldnt have on my own. then again i was a lazy ass and got bad grades.

college was hard to get motivated for. like work, theres lots of incentives for working hard, its a lot easier to work hard at work.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

i don't think they have any obligation to do so.

college should be a time when students learn how to succeed in life.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: SZLiao214
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

Wait, let me clarify.

^^That sounds a lot like the school system in france(maybe europe?) that my cultures teacher talked about in highschool.

It should, it's based on european education foundations dating back a couple thousand years. We've lost a lot in America by abandoning apprenticeships/fostering I think, and by trying to equate jobs with education.