The Rise and Fall of AMD.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I swear, the stock ticker for AMD should be labeled DUH.

Now that AMD has failed in tackling Intel on the x86 CPU front, they feel they need to take on the SSD world against the likes of OCZ, Crucial, Sandisk to name a few.

Seems legit and well thought out.

I guess at this point though, they'll try to throw crap on a wall and see what sticks best.

I will just leave this here.

From Intel ITC 2012 Athens Greece

intelitc2012ssd1a.jpg

acx

Jan 26, 2001
WTF! This is just azz backwards. You're based out of California, home of the most over taxed and over regulated companies in America. People are leaving California for a state with less taxes, to places - first and foremost - like Texas and Florida even. Companies are more likely to profit in other states than California, where the fiscal strain is very high. So, why in the heell would you shut down in Texas, to stay in California? Who's brainchild was that?

Please read the article. They are selling the real estate and leasing it back to free up capital. They are not selling the real estate and moving all employees out of the Austin campus.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
AMD branded SSDs, AMD branded RAM, and soon, AMD branded cases, keyboards, mice, and monitors!
They are on a roll.

For whatever reason, they think the AMD brand has value, problem is, they have no product to back it up. All their products are either lesser than what the competition has, or slightly better (Their GPUs are still fairly good).

Depressing.

pablo87

Nov 5, 2012
AMD never ceases to amaze with their brilliant ideas - AMD branded SSD's, are u kidding me?

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
lol ya you would have figured they would have jumped on the SSD bandwagon before its hit 1/gb ratio.

Now there is so much competition they would never sell enough volume to make decent profits.

And I think we will see a Sandforce based AMD SSD first might aswell start with the BSODin controllers lol.

This is so sad like watching a wounded animal slowly dying...

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I swear, the stock ticker for AMD should be labeled DUH.

Now that AMD has failed in tackling Intel on the x86 CPU front, they feel they need to take on the SSD world against the likes of OCZ, Crucial, Sandisk to name a few.

Seems legit and well thought out.

I guess at this point though, they'll try to throw crap on a wall and see what sticks best.

Fanboys will eat it up...They can have an AMD CPU, SSD, RAM, video, case.

ShadowVVL

May 1, 2010
I like the amd logo,I wouldn't mind amd and intel branded everything including t-shirt,lab coat, coffee mug and posters.Hell then I could even have intel and amd decorated computer rooms.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I will just leave this here.

From Intel ITC 2012 Athens Greece

intelitc2012ssd1a.jpg

One difference - Intel makes their drives and are considered one of the best brands available. AMD just re-badges another company's devices.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
One difference - Intel makes their drives and are considered one of the best brands available. AMD just re-badges another company's devices.

Another would be that Intel and Micron got a joint venture for NAND production (IMFT).

This is just another product that AMD buys from someone else and slap on a sticker and hope people will pay a premium for it.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

If the product is working as advertized, i fail to see why RADEON SSDs will not fare well in the market.

If the price/performance is good then people will buy it, no matter who make it.

MisterMac

Sep 16, 2011
If the product is working as advertized, i fail to see why RADEON SSDs will not fare well in the market.

If the price/performance is good then people will buy it, no matter who make it.

You are right.
Because any SSD OEM is dying to sell their drives EVEN cheaper to AMD - so AMD can actually make money of SSD's - so AMD in turn can release the same products ALREADY ON THE MARKET cheaper?

Yes, everyone wants a bit of that RADEON action.

Not to mention the costs for AMD - they're gonna cost-manage it to hell with bad decisions.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
You are right.
Because any SSD OEM is dying to sell their drives EVEN cheaper to AMD - so AMD can actually make money of SSD's - so AMD in turn can release the same products ALREADY ON THE MARKET cheaper?

Yes, everyone wants a bit of that RADEON action.

Not to mention the costs for AMD - they're gonna cost-manage it to hell with bad decisions.

As a consumer i dont give a flying fart how much AMD will make selling me the SSD (or any other product) at the same price the other company sell it.

Obviously they(AMD) believe they will make a profit selling SSDs manufactured by someone else. If they will give me a better price/performance, then i would buy their SSD.

It is simple as that ;)

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012

Do you see people lining up to buy AMD "performance" or AMD "Radeon" memories? Do you see people asking AMD for an AMD "Intel" Edition? No? Exactly. Because AMD is a nobody in the memory market selling a "me too" product. There is no way to notice AMD memory unless you open your case and look at the memory. I doubt that they are making any significant amount of money with it otherwise there would be a lot of press releases out there or at least mentioned it at the EC.

For their SSD, the small time frame suggests an already designed product, they are just going to stick their logo there, so same was memory: no software advantage, no performance advantage (probably it won't be a top performance part either),no price advantage, no reliability advantage, just their brand, which isn't big thing either. AMD will be a nobody in the SSD market selling a "me too" product.

Just another erratic move from an erratic management. It is incredible how their main business is sinking and they still divert their energy to accessories markets.

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
As a consumer i dont give a flying fart how much AMD will make selling me the SSD (or any other product) at the same price the other company sell it.

Obviously they(AMD) believe they will make a profit selling SSDs manufactured by someone else. If they will give me a better price/performance, then i would buy their SSD.

It is simple as that ;)

AMD entering the SSD market with another company's SSD doesn't make any sense...

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Yes, we know. That didn't make sense either. This move is a death throw, AtenRa. Probably one of many because this is going to be a slow process to watch. And a sad one. Please stop ignoring logic here and understand why this is an unusually dumb move, even for AMD.

well, SSDs are one of the most lucrative markets today, it's a no brainer to go there...
but the ddr3 is really weird

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
well, SSDs are one of the most lucrative markets today, it's a no brainer to go there...
but the ddr3 is really weird

No. Enterprise SSD are one of the most lucrative markets today, and to be even considered there you must bring not only a lot of performance but also a lot of reliability. Consumer SSD is already a race to the bottom, there isn't that much money to make there.

But even if your assumption was correct, and there was indeed a lot of money on the SSD market, what is AMD really bringing to the table here?

Will it design a custom controller? Will they test their firmware as much as Intel tests them? Will they field better NAND than Micron? Does AMD have the economy of scale that Samsung has? Are they designing something different like Apple's hybrid drives or a thinner form factor?

That's right, they bring nothing. Just the same SSD you can buy cheaper in some other store and it won't be the cheapest thing on the market as it would infuriate their manufacturer partner. The only difference is the AMD logo, which not worth a flying fart.

AMD isn't really getting into the SSD business, but in the repackaging and rebranding business. Maybe it's a test for more aggressive ventures, like rebrand and repackage Intel and Qualcomm chips.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
No. Enterprise SSD are one of the most lucrative markets today, and to be even considered there you must bring not only a lot of performance but also a lot of reliability. Consumer SSD is already a race to the bottom, there isn't that much money to make there.

But even if your assumption was correct, and there was indeed a lot of money on the SSD market, what is AMD really bringing to the table here?

i just said it isn't a dumb move for amd go there... unlike the ddr3

if they have a good product, or it just sucks... is another story :colbert:

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
i just said it isn't a dumb move for amd go there... unlikely the ddr3

Why not? With memory they rebranded and repackaged a patriot memory and it was considered a dumb move. Now they are rebranding and repackaging someone else' SSD (Patriot again?) and suddenly it isn't a dumb move? o_O

In any case, here's another example of how clueless AMD management really is. Their fundamental problem isn't to be like Intel and field a SSD, but that SSD performance on AMD systems is inferior when compared to Intel systems. As soon as those disks reach the market we'll see reviews where AMD SSDs perform slower on AMD systems than on Intel systems.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Why not? With memory they rebranded and repackaged a patriot memory and it was considered a dumb move. Now they are rebranding and repackaging someone else' SSD (Patriot again?) and suddenly it isn't a dumb move? o_O

In any case, here's another example of how clueless AMD management really is. Their fundamental problem isn't to be like Intel and field a SSD, but that SSD performance on AMD systems is inferior when compared to Intel systems. As soon as those disks reach the market we'll see reviews where AMD SSDs perform slower on AMD systems than on Intel systems.

Difference is, now it just HAS to be a good move. It just HAS to. No other negative information can be handled at this time. Please leave a message at the barely audible tone and we'll get back to you maybe. -Carly

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
It's a great move for AMD. Since it appears they are getting out of the business of engineering anything, re-branding is their new strategy. Good luck to them!

/sarcasm