The Retro PC FPS thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I still enjoy Quake with the Darkplaces HD mod. The graphics are amazing! All most as good as Crysis. I also enjoy Quake II and Hexen II.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Best FPS ever IMO from 2004: Far Cry

I also liked games like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Red-neck Rampage because they were fun. The dialogue was much better than in games like Quake where your guy only says "hugh, hugh, hugh"...

Who want-a some Wang?
Must be American made.
Git off my land!
That is one Doomed space marine...

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
The rig in my sig runs everything, old & new.

What OS? I recently put back together and in service a D875PBZ with a Northwood 3.0 Ghz, 4 Gigs and an X1950 with XP Pro just to run retro games like this. My thinking is this would ensure compatibility with anything 2001 on....., but I'd rather not have another machine if I can get by with okay running them on 7.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
FEAR was great i admit; loved the guns and nades in that game.

A game which i enjoyed a lot, even though it was much maligned, was - wait for it - Invisible War.

Yes, i liked DX2.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I still love playing classic doom on source ports, and also have Quake and Quake 2 on steam. Doom 64 absolution I had a while back as well, it was quite awesome! Pity i got stuck somewhere on like level 26. Also, starcraft BW, FEAR, and all unreal/UT games (the earlier the better)

I love playing as the Nali warcow :D

Also, I am looking for a good source port for dark forces. Anyone know of one? I have it on steam, but I am not good with the old style controls.

Legios

Feb 12, 2013
I play Battletech, Crescent Hawks revenge, about once every year. That game was really hard when I played it as a youngin.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Did anyone play Unreal 2 (The Awakening)? I really enjoyed it, even though it was a huge disappointment in having practically nothing to do with Unreal aside from the presence of the Skaarj. I would have accepted "Unreal: The Awakening", but calling it a sequel to Unreal was folly. It was also far too slow and clunky for an Unreal game.

Nevertheless, I thought it was pretty good as a stand-alone game, and it was certainly something to look at - awesome visuals. And it had the same kind of diversity of environments that the Tournaments had.
I liked Unreal II.

graphics were better and the game play was enjoyable.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Max Payne 2 might not be a First Person Shooter, but it plays like one with it's excellent controls and none of that 'cover' rubbish.

Ya know there is an first person mod for that game. It actually plays very well like that, i loved it. Still have that game and the box, it is definitely one of the best old games i could replay again without the graphics giving me a seizure.

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
Ah, I always find it amusing how the nine year old Doom 3 engine does better lighting and shadows then most "modern" titles.

Another title I can't believe people haven't mentioned yet is Painkiller. That game is pure, fraglicious perfection. Not to mention it has a totally kick ass sound track. And pinning enemies to the wall with the stake gun never gets old.

Last edited:

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I'd love to play NOLF, NOLF 2, or Mechwarrior 3 if they would run on my Win7 64-bit rig, but alas...

tomosrider

Jan 21, 2013
On a P3-850,650mb ram,GF4Ti4200, running XP Pro I have QuakeII and expansions installed. Also SS1, UT, Half Life,Thief 1,Thief2 and a bunch more good old games.
Lots of fun.

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
oh jeez... where do I even start?

I guess a good example of how much retro gaming I do is talking about the computers I have put together to do retro gaming on, and you can guess from there how much I do...

all of these use mostly or entirely era parts and were built by me out of the exact parts I wanted:
386DX40 SCSI system (build log in sig!)
486DX2/66 VLB system
pentium 75MHz system (in progress)
pentium 166 non mmx system (in progress) (have all parts, incl voodoo1)
pentium 233 mmx system (in progress) (have all parts)
pentium II 450 dual voodoo2 system (changing from pata to scsi)
dual pentium III 1GHz system (mothballed for now) (need voodoo3 2000 agp)
dual pentium III tualatin 1.4GHz system (mothballed for now, even have v5 5500 agp)
athlon xp system (in progress)
athlon barton system (in progress)
athlon 64 x2 socket 939 system (mothballed for now)
core2 quad 3GHz system (finally found cpu, finishing build atm)
phenom II x6 system (current gaming box)

I don't even want to begin to try to list all the games I have (and play) on all of them... holy crap that would take forever...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I am replaying Ghost Recon at the moment(PC Gamer and IGN PC game of the year 2001 winner). Runs fine in Win7, and looks surprisingly good for a game of its age. One of the first titles that supported the physX card.

The 360 version was total garbage BTW. Being able to send all 3 of my Ghosts to specific locations so 1 can lay down suppressing fire, 1 can snipe, and the 3rd can watch my back, really helps. You can play very realistic, where 1 or 2 shots and you are dead. Use you drone and the overhead real time map to recon around you, I.D. bad guys, and setup ambushes and assaults. Even dig the micro managing in the load out menu. The ability to tweak everyone's load out, and make compromises based on max carry weight. Decide if you need greater accuracy or stability for full auto from a weapon.

And the physX is impressive for the time too. Depending on how you hit that sniper on the roof and where he was, it will dictate whether or not he falls off the roof or not. And they seem more realistic than most games with the ragdoll stuff. Vehicle explosions are good, and the audio is well done. Nothing like a couple rounds whizzing by your face while you are sprinting for cover, to increase immersion and intensity. Particularly when that 1 round can make you a KIA.

I would like to find some other tactical shooters like it. So suggestions welcomed.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
oh jeez... where do I even start?

I guess a good example of how much retro gaming I do is talking about the computers I have put together to do retro gaming on, and you can guess from there how much I do...

all of these use mostly or entirely era parts and were built by me out of the exact parts I wanted:
386DX40 SCSI system (build log in sig!)
486DX2/66 VLB system
pentium 75MHz system (in progress)
pentium 166 non mmx system (in progress) (have all parts, incl voodoo1)
pentium 233 mmx system (in progress) (have all parts)
pentium II 450 dual voodoo2 system (changing from pata to scsi)
dual pentium III 1GHz system (mothballed for now) (need voodoo3 2000 agp)
dual pentium III tualatin 1.4GHz system (mothballed for now, even have v5 5500 agp)
athlon xp system (in progress)
athlon barton system (in progress)
athlon 64 x2 socket 939 system (mothballed for now)
core2 quad 3GHz system (finally found cpu, finishing build atm)
phenom II x6 system (current gaming box)

I don't even want to begin to try to list all the games I have (and play) on all of them... holy crap that would take forever...
Holy cow. What did you do, rack them all up and use KVM switch?