The rest of the world is 220 volts (or thereabouts)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
the US was originally wired this way so it's difficult to change now. On the other hand, if you stick your finger accidently into a socket at 110v, it will give you a jolt but it won't kill you and you'll let go. 220V causes your muscles to tighten which causes higher fatality rates.

astrosfan90

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2005
Originally posted by: BrownTown
there is nothing subjective about the fact that the amount of energy wasted by 220V is half that of 110V, thats is just true. However the US was origionally wired at 110 and its alot easier to just keep it that way so that everything is the same and you don't mess up and fry your stuff. Practically speaking it really isn't that big of a deal just means that you are wasting a little bit mroe power than you would at 220V. But I guess on the other hand it don't hurt as much if you stick you finger in the plug :p.

EDIT: oh yeah, and of course lets not forget that you get 120-240 so in the US the big appliances like the dryer and AC run on 240, not 120.

Actually, from what I understand, 110V is enough voltage that you "stick" to whatever's shocking you, and are exposed for longer, causing serious damage or death. With 220V, the charge is enough to throw you back with a bit of force, and thus causing less damage as you only get a momentary shock.

At least this is what I was told. Could be total hogwash.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Originally posted by: astrosfan90
Originally posted by: BrownTown
there is nothing subjective about the fact that the amount of energy wasted by 220V is half that of 110V, thats is just true. However the US was origionally wired at 110 and its alot easier to just keep it that way so that everything is the same and you don't mess up and fry your stuff. Practically speaking it really isn't that big of a deal just means that you are wasting a little bit mroe power than you would at 220V. But I guess on the other hand it don't hurt as much if you stick you finger in the plug :p.

EDIT: oh yeah, and of course lets not forget that you get 120-240 so in the US the big appliances like the dryer and AC run on 240, not 120.

Actually, from what I understand, 110V is enough voltage that you "stick" to whatever's shocking you, and are exposed for longer, causing serious damage or death. With 220V, the charge is enough to throw you back with a bit of force, and thus causing less damage as you only get a momentary shock.

At least this is what I was told. Could be total hogwash.

You only stick if you actually are able to grab onto the object from your hand muscles contracting. If you jam you're finger into an outlet, you won't magically stick.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
the US was originally wired this way so it's difficult to change now. On the other hand, if you stick your finger accidently into a socket at 110v, it will give you a jolt but it won't kill you and you'll let go. 220V causes your muscles to tighten which causes higher fatality rates.

Uh......... link?
The amps are what kill you..

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I think 120V can cause more problems, since the voltage isn't enough to throw you. From what I've heard, 440V can throw you a good distance and make you crap your pants. They should do a test on Jackass and see what happens.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
In most modern US houses power is supplied to the main breaker panel as two legs of 110v, 220v is achieved by bridging across both legs. Thats how US houses have access to both 110v and 220v.

Are the 220v countries supplied as one leg of 220v?, or is it supplied the same way as the US but all breakers bridge the two legs?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
the USA is not all by itself in using 110V.

Really? :confused: I did not google squat before posting. :p

Americans do have 110 nominal and 240.

1. 110 is much less dangerous. I've been shocked by 110 before and it sucked, but it wasn't death. 220 is death, period.
2. for most applications, there isn't enough line resistance in the house to make the higher current worth it.
3. As said, the world is more like 60/40 on voltages (and you talk about ignorant amercians)
4. I wonder why you guys foolishly use needlessly high voltages and put yourself at risk.

MichaelD, your PSU is a switch mode PSU, there isn't much current diff between the two, except at the very input. It's all in your head.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
I think 120V can cause more problems, since the voltage isn't enough to throw you. From what I've heard, 440V can throw you a good distance and make you crap your pants. They should do a test on Jackass and see what happens.

Urban legend. When people get injured by shocks, they lose muscle control and clamp down. So 240 volts is the same in that respect, since you are just as liable to swamp the signals from your brain to let go. And then it's more deadly, quicker, so 240 is much more dangerous.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ebaycj
Originally posted by: Allanv
Originally posted by: spidey07
Because we invented power.
Therefore we are better.
No you didnt !!!

Sure we did. America > *.

As jingoistic as it sounds, the modern electrical power system was pretty much developed in the US northeast (and Canada), afaik.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: simms
Originally posted by: ForumMaster

Uh......... link?
The amps are what kill you..

He's partially right. Higher voltage -> higher current. Thus 240 is more deadly. But both cause your muscles to clamp up. I think that 120 volts swamps your brain signals too, but you might have a better chance of letting go. That's worth looking up, honestly.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
In most modern US houses power is supplied to the main breaker panel as two legs of 110v, 220v is achieved by bridging across both legs. Thats how US houses have access to both 110v and 220v.

Are the 220v countries supplied as one leg of 220v?, or is it supplied the same way as the US but all breakers bridge the two legs?

Good question. I'd bet that it's the former, but we'd need someone with electrician experience in a 220/240 V nominal country to know.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: So
Therefore we are better.
No you didnt !!!

As jingoistic as it sounds, the modern electrical power system was pretty much developed in the US northeast (and Canada), afaik.

Teh Wiki:

History:

In an AIEE Address, May 16, 1888, Nikola Tesla delivered a lecture entitled A New System of Alternating Current Motors and Transformers, describing the equipment which allowed efficient generation and use of alternating currents. Tesla's disclosures, in the form of patents, lectures and technical articles, are useful for understanding the history of the modern system of power transmission. Ownership of the rights to the Tesla patents was a key commercial advantage to the Westinghouse company in offering a complete alternating current power system for both lighting and power.

The first transmission of three-phase alternating current using high voltage took place in the year 1891 on the occasion of the international electricity exhibition in Frankfurt. In that year, a 25 kV transmission line, approximately 175 kilometres long, was built between Lauffen at the Neckar and Frankfurt.

The rapid industrialization in the 20th century made electrical transmission lines and grids a critical part of the economic infrastructure in most industrialized nations. Initially transmission lines were supported by porcelain pin-and-sleeve insulators similar to those used for telegraph and telephone lines. However, these reached a practical limit of 40 kV. In 1907 the invention of the disc insulator by Harold W. Buck of the Niagara Falls Power Corporation and Edward M. Hewlett of General Electric allowed practical insulators of any length to be constructed, which allowed the use of higher voltages. The first large scale hydroelectric generators in the USA (embodying the patents of Nikola Tesla) were installed at Niagara Falls and provided electricity to Buffalo, New York via power transmission lines. A statue of Tesla stands at Niagara Falls today in tribute to his contributions.

Voltages used for electric power transmission increased throughout the 20th century. The first three-phase alternating current power transmission at 110 kV took place in 1912 between Lauchhammer and Riesa, Germany. On April 17, 1929 the first 220 kV line in Germany was completed, running from Brauweiler near Cologne, over Kelsterbach near Frankfurt, Rheinau near Mannheim, Ludwigsburg-Hoheneck near Austria. The masts of this line were designed for eventual upgrade to 380 kV. However the first transmission at 380 kV in Germany was on October 5, 1957 between the substations in Rommerskirchen and Ludwigsburg-Hoheneck. In 1967 the first extra-high-voltage transmission at 735 kV took place on a Hydro-Québec transmission line. In 1982 the first transmission at 1200 kV took place in the Soviet Union.

That was the first power line built for an actual purpose, and was in Germany.

The article does not specify that any one country developed a 'power grid' before another.

Not that I think it matters where it was developed... I answer only because, given his usual posts, I think Spidey was probably not actually being sarcastic.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Wiki is hardly a source for reliable information. We invented power and electricity. in addition to most of the modern world. Benjamin Franklin.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Atheus
Therefore we are better.
No you didnt !!!

Teh Wiki:

History:

That was the first power line built for an actual purpose, and was in Germany.

The article does not specify that any one country developed a 'power grid' before another.

Not that I think it matters where it was developed... I answer only because, given his usual posts, I think Spidey was probably not actually being sarcastic.

Wikipedia is probably correct about the specific case of the first three phase high voltage AC power transmission application, but:

Edison's Pearl Street Station

By the end of 1880, Edison had formed the Edison Electric Illuminating Company to build central station electric generating plants in New York City. The first central power plant-Pearl Street Station in lower Manhattan-began generating electricity on September 4, 1882. Pearl Street had one generator and it produced power for 800 electric light bulbs. Within 14 months, Pearl Street Station had 508 subscribers and 12,732 bulbs.
from http://www.eei.org/industry_issues/indu...rview_and_statistics/history/index.htm

The first long-distance transmission of alternating current took place in 1891 near Telluride, Colorado, followed a few months later in Germany. Thomas Edison strongly advocated the use of direct current (DC), having many patents in that technology, but eventually alternating current came into general use (see War of Currents).

The first modern commercial power plant using three-phase alternating current was at the Mill Creek hydroelectric plant near Redlands, California in 1893. Its designer was Almirian Decker, a brilliant young engineer. Decker's innovative design incorporated 10,000 volt three phase transmission and established the standards for the complete system of generation, transmission and motors used today. And through the use of alternating current, Charles Proteus Steinmetz of General Electric was able to solve many of the problems associated with electricity generation and transmission.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current#History

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy

No. In most countries that use 220-240 V, home electricity is supplied as a single phase. This means there's only a single voltage available in a home.

Industrial customers can get a 3 phase supply - again, while the US has several different ways of delivering 3 phase - wye, grounded delta, centre-tap grounded delta, etc. (giving a frighteningly long list of possible voltages/configs). In other coutries, you just get wye. This means you can use a single phase and get 230 V, or bridge 2 phases to get 400 V.

Delivering power at higher voltage has a number of advantages - it improves efficiency of power transmission (so lower costs), it provides better voltage regulation (less voltage drop) and allows transformers to be sited further away from customers (Instead of having lots of inefficient small pole mounted transformers - you can have 1 big high-efficiency transformer supplying a 1000 yard radius).

It also allows better flexibility in circuit sizing - in the UK, a standard home circuit has 7200 W of capacity. Problems of circuits overloading because too many PCs or appliances are plugged into it are essentially unheard of.

Some devices are more efficient when run on higher voltage - PC PSUs are a classic example. Running at 110 V instead of 230 can carry a 2-3% efficiency penalty (especially if you have a PFC PSU) - you use less energy, and generate less heat at the higher voltage.

As for safety - yes, 230 V is more dangerous. However, 230 V exposure isn't always fatal (I've had several such shocks) - and 110 V exposure can be fatal. Perhaps more important than the voltage are the circumstances in which the shock occurs. In the case of accidental (brushing) contact with a live wire, you are unlikely to receive a fatal shock - not enough current will flow. The most common situation of a hot-ground shock is easily protected against with an RCD (ELCB) - this is a code requirement in many countries. Dangerous shocks are most likely to occur where water is involved, as the currents that can flow are much, much higher. In the case of water, the 230/110 debate becomes moot as either voltage can result in currents 3-4x greater than needed to deliver a fatal shock.

The number of accidental electrocutions in the UK (230 V) is 0.4 / million / year - in the US, where it is primarily 110 V the rate is 0.63 / million / year.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Wiki is hardly a source for reliable information. We invented power and electricity. in addition to most of the modern world. Benjamin Franklin.

You see, I _knew_ you were serious...

Franklin's kite experiment is either an exaggeration or simply made up. Check it out.

Purely in the field of electricity, Faraday (British) and Tesla (Austrian) dwarf Franklin's contribution!

And most of the modern world? Give me a break! How about the entire industrial age? The internal combustion engine, the steam engine, the electric engine, the jet engine, steel manufacturing, steel ships and planes, a million other things - British my friend.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Purely in the field of electricity, Faraday (British) and Tesla (Austrian) dwarf Franklin's contribution!

And most of the modern world? Give me a break! How about the entire industrial age? The internal combustion engine, the steam engine, the electric engine, the jet engine, steel manufacturing, steel ships and planes, a million other things - British my friend.

Tesla was American/Canadian when he made his major practical breakthroughs. Faraday deserves credit, but the US did do a huge chunk of the work in making modern power systems possible. Many scholars (especially european scientists -- IDK about British ones.) derided an electrical power system as unworkably complex.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

Tesla was American/Canadian when he made his major practical breakthroughs.

He was born in Austria. You might as well claim Einstein was American.

Faraday deserves credit, but the US did do a huge chunk of the work in making modern power systems possible. Many scholars (especially european scientists -- IDK about British ones.) derided an electrical power system as unworkably complex.

Yea, I'm not arguing with that, I'm arguing with Spidey's 'most of the modern world' thing.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
Well, I've used both 110v/60Hz and 220v/50Hz and I must say that the 220v is FAR better.

Every piece of electronics runs cooler b/c it's not drawing as much juice...this is a purely subjective "measurement" mind you.

My PCs power supply is a perfect example. Slide the switch to 220v, plug it in and it just seems to run so much cooler.

It's drawing less current but using roughly the same power (thus heat), ignoring differences in a power supply's efficiency with these different voltage inputs.

I'd think the main advantage would be less power wasted in wiring with 220V, but devices plugged into the wall still use roughly the same amount of power.

No. Why do you think they step voltages up to insane levels when carrying power across transmission lines? It's because resistance across a wire is i^2 * R. You want to minimize the current used so the power wasted is at a minimum.

Using 220V, we'll waste 1/4 of the power as we do at 110 (theoretically).

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Faraday deserves credit, but the US did do a huge chunk of the work in making modern power systems possible. Many scholars (especially European scientists -- IDK about British ones.) derided an electrical power system as unworkably complex.

Yea, I'm not arguing with that, I'm arguing with Spidey's 'most of the modern world' thing.

I guess I shouldn't say Tesla was "American" but that he was an American when he made his breakthroughs. That he was a citizen of the US, he was living in America and working for an American company during that period, and that he lived out his life here.

In many "Americans" world view, anyone who freely immigrates here, gets citizenship and remains here is as American as someone born here. Einstein was an American too, but he made his biggest discoveries when he was still a German.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
Well, I've used both 110v/60Hz and 220v/50Hz and I must say that the 220v is FAR better.

Every piece of electronics runs cooler b/c it's not drawing as much juice...this is a purely subjective "measurement" mind you.

My PCs power supply is a perfect example. Slide the switch to 220v, plug it in and it just seems to run so much cooler.

It's drawing less current but using roughly the same power (thus heat), ignoring differences in a power supply's efficiency with these different voltage inputs.

I'd think the main advantage would be less power wasted in wiring with 220V, but devices plugged into the wall still use roughly the same amount of power.

No. Why do you think they step voltages up to insane levels when carrying power across transmission lines? It's because resistance across a wire is i^2 * R. You want to minimize the current used so the power wasted is at a minimum.

Using 220V, we'll waste 1/4 of the power as we do at 110 (theoretically).

True, but R is so small that at either 110 or 220 it's still a trivial percentage compared to the load.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005

Faraday deserves credit, but the US did do a huge chunk of the work in making modern power systems possible. Many scholars (especially european scientists -- IDK about British ones.) derided an electrical power system as unworkably complex.

But tesla was a serbian From croatia, that was controlled by austria-hungary empire.
He doesn't get nearly enough Credit for what he has done. Its too bad.
Mr. AC himself :(