The Red Violin - wtf ending?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
The movie was great, but I just couldn't connect Samuel L. Jackson's role to the whole movie. And the ending was somewhat a letdown and confusing. So, he stole the violin? Then what? What's his connection? I thought he was going to give it back to the monks so they can bury it, but no.

Le sighs...

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Lol come to think of it I didn't even remember what the ending was anymore, I only remember snippets of that weird movie.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Yeah I can't remember the ending either. I think he steals it so he can have it for himself? Anyway I DO remember liking the film a lot!

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
nice with the spoilers :p that being said, yes the ending is that Jackson's character takes the violin from the auction to give to his daughter, probably as a birthday present?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
He is just the conduit through which the story flows. I did like the ending, instruments are meant to be played.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
nice with the spoilers :p that being said, yes the ending is that Jackson's character takes the violin from the auction to give to his daughter, probably as a birthday present?

Yep, this is what I gathered. He stole it so that his daughter could start the 'legacy' all over again.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
It made sense for him to give it to his daughter if you look at the movie as a historical review of music in a few key contexts. I don't know how to describe it, but there's something just so fitting for a parent to give their kid a multi-million dollar instrument knowing that they will probably play it for a few years, abandon it, and move on with their life. Musical instruments are like Soccer here... for the most part, a fleeting moment in a child's life.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Forgot about this movie, it's great. I think I've watched everything past the mid-point at least 5 times, but only seen the first half-an-hour to an hour once. Always miss it when it's on TV.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006

Damn it, how did I miss that he's having a daughter? Makes sense now.

Sep 12, 2004
This is one of my favorite movies but I don't understand why he would want to give the violin to his daughter. Despite the beautiful sound it could produce it was inherently evil at its core and eventually killed anyone who possessed it.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
This is one of my favorite movies but I don't understand why he would want to give the violin to his daughter. Despite the beautiful sound it could produce it was inherently evil at its core and eventually killed anyone who possessed it.

I think evil is taking things a bit far here. One COULD see it as a cursed violin, destined to ruin the lives of those who come to poses it but even then I wouldn't say there's any concious force at work here so evil isn't the right term. But I think a much more accurate way to look at it is metaphorically. Pain builds character and strength and talent. In the case of the violin its storied and sad past could be said to have built the character of the violin. One doesn't have to attribute some malevolent force to it.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
His daughter was a violin prodigy that's why he gave it to her. So she could be great. BTW I don't think the violin was cursed it jut brought out the worst in people. It was an object of desire greed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the problem with casting Samuel L Jackson in this film was that there were no snakes involved in the plot.

perhaps that is why it is confusing?

don't feel stupid, audiences around the world were baffled by this oversight.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
the problem with casting Samuel L Jackson in this film was that there were no snakes involved in the plot.

perhaps that is why it is confusing?

don't feel stupid, audiences around the world were baffled by this oversight.

lulz red violin was 1998 and snakes on a plane 2006. Apparently there was a snakes on the train in 2006 too straight to video. working title was snakes on a plane 2

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
SLJ's character steals the violin, and the instrument will end up in the hands of an appreciative, talented child, and will continue to be used for many more years, instead of just being shut in a glass cage and never be touched again (except by snobs and antique dealers).

Like someone else said, the instruments are meant to be played, not gather dust in curiosity shops. That's why real sweat and blood were poured into its making.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lulz red violin was 1998 and snakes on a plane 2006. Apparently there was a snakes on the train in 2006 too straight to video. working title was snakes on a plane 2

I know--just making a funny.

I think Snakes on a Train was made by those people--or that guy--that makes all of those ridiculous knockoffs of popularly bad movies--like Transmorphers--and they are all straight to video, generally while the original film is still in the theater, to try and capitalize on name confusion. lol.

Timothy Verret

Jun 8, 2018
The movie was great, but I just couldn't connect Samuel L. Jackson's role to the whole movie. And the ending was somewhat a letdown and confusing. So, he stole the violin? Then what? What's his connection? I thought he was going to give it back to the monks so they can bury it, but no.

Le sighs...

I must have missed something? I thought he actually gave the real violin to the seller. You see, he made that guy supply a duplicate so he could have the original but in the end when he gets that message about the organic compound of the real red violin, he goes to Duval to switch out the real one for the duplicate. Did anybody else catch that?

Timothy Verret

Jun 8, 2018
I must have missed something? I thought he actually gave the real violin to the seller. You see, he made that guy supply a duplicate so he could have the original but in the end when he gets that message about the organic compound of the real red violin, he goes to Duval to switch out the real one for the duplicate. Did anybody else catch that?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

Totally backwards and also necro.

He switches the real one which is at the auction house for the copy, and tells his daughter he has a present for her (the real red violin).

Timothy Verret

Jun 8, 2018
Totally backwards and also necro.

He switches the real one which is at the auction house for the copy, and tells his daughter he has a present for her (the real red violin).

What's "necro" mean here?
I missed this movie but damn now I know the ending grrrrrrr

Sorry about that? It's really not a great film. It could have been. It's gorgeous to look at and music is great but the substance of it is really not great at all. Just my opinion.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
What's "necro" mean here?

Sorry about that? It's really not a great film. It could have been. It's gorgeous to look at and music is great but the substance of it is really not great at all. Just my opinion.

No biggie., necro means an old thread brought back to life that one was from 2011. IMO if its relevant which to me it was I don't have a problem but I'm just a pleb.