Info The QD-OLED Era begins. TVs and Gaming monitors announced.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
New QD-OLED TV, and Gaming Monitors based on Samsung panels have been announced at CES:

https://www.ces.tech/Innovation-Awa...-Odyssey-G8QNB-34”-Gaming-Monitor-(2022).aspx
Samsung Odyssey G8QNB 34” Gaming Monitor will be the world’s first Quantum Dot OLED (QD-OLED) gaming monitor, offering the best of both QLED and OLED screen technology. With high-performance features like a 175Hz refresh rate and 0.1ms

Same Panel in Alienware:

Sony QD-OLED TVs:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Like I said, OLEDs are best suited for dark environments, if you can provide that dark environment, enjoy your OLED. Pretending everyone can just throw up blackout blinds is just stupid though, sure, it's great if you can do it, but some houses are just built with big windows and open spaces that let in lots of ambient lighting making an OLED TV unreasonable for some people as they'd need a LOT of window coverage to get acceptable ambient light levels during daytime hours.

You don't need blackout blinds, curtains will do. This isn't a projector.

But yeah, some people without curtains, who want to sit around watching Ellen or whatever daytime TV is are better off with LCD.

Reactions: HutchinsonJC

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
You don't need blackout blinds, curtains will do. This isn't a projector.

But yeah, some people without curtains, who want to sit around watching Ellen or whatever daytime TV is are better off with LCD.
Weirdly enough, not everyone lives a carbon copy of your home life ;)

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Unless you have the sun shining directly on the television odds are OLED is gonna be bright enough. Even my plasma is bright enough (OLED is brighter) in a room with all the blinds and curtains open so long as there isn't direct sunlight raining down on the screen. I mean really, someone freaking out needs to get their vision checked out with their eye doctor before being worried about the nits. IMO, YMMV

Reactions: HutchinsonJC

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I am very interested in these, my Asus 34" widescreen getting a little old. I like the rez and the curve. Had it about 5 years now, would like an upgrade.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The ambient light matters, but it also depends on what content you watch. I suspect OLED is better for games and movies (which is 100% of my usage) and QLED is better for news or sports, all else equal. I actually find my OLED too bright at max brightness in some games, and only turn it up all the way in darker games.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Questions of ambient light levels aside....
A brighter OLED is simply a better OLED.

The question becomes, is it bright enough? Does anyone claim it cannot display HDR?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Questions of ambient light levels aside....
A brighter OLED is simply a better OLED.

The question becomes, is it bright enough? Does anyone claim it cannot display HDR?
Depends what you mean, the brightest panels at the moment are about 700 nits full screen and 1600 nits for highlights. So a QD-OLED that can do 200 nits full screen and 1500 nit highlights IS good, it's still not capable of the "full" HDR experience.

Most HDR content is mastered to 1000 nits, but a good amount of Dolby Vision HDR content is mastered to 4000 nits, which no consumer panels can get even close to at the moment.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
These do look quite exciting. I still have a 55" 1080p TV from like 10 years ago, so by the time these have been out for a while and come down in price, it may be worth upgrading and repurposing the old TV for something else. Next TV I get will probably be a 75" though so probably be a little while before I can justify that purchase. :p

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I wonder how well these units handle burn in.

I could care less about brightness, but the burn in issue on current oleds is a deal breaker yet.

Jul 27, 2020
I don't know about other OLED TVs but LG recommends leaving their OLED in standby mode overnight so the panel can be refreshed. This keeps the pixels in good shape. At least, I haven't noticed any burn-in so far (I do try my best to avoid content that has persistent logos). My typical daily usage is around 3 to 4 hours a day and the OLED is serving as a PC monitor with most of the screen time being live action content like movies, youtube videos and TV series.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yup. Better to just get Index VR instead.

I sometimes use the G2 (which has a much higher resolution) with a virtual desktop. You can put up a big screen on a wall in VR. However, none of the LCD headsets look anywhere near as good as OLED TVs, and the OLED headsets have many other issues.

Jul 27, 2020
You can put up a big screen on a wall in VR.
That's one of the things that really sold me on the benefit of VR, especially for people living in limited spaces or on a budget and can't really afford a large television. Even with the PSVR's low resolution, the almost 60-inch virtual screen looked really good. The other thing was 360 degree VR videos. Some youtube VR video about "friendly companion" girls where a girl was sitting right in front of the viewer, and another showing some lions being fed. The girl looked like someone actually sitting in front of me and the lions looked really fearsome, to the point that I don't get how people can go on safaris and have lions be so close to their jeeps and sometimes, on top of their jeeps! In both cases, my brain was sufficiently tricked.

Reactions: CP5670

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wonder how well these units handle burn in.

I could care less about brightness, but the burn in issue on current oleds is a deal breaker yet.

I learned this the hard way with my current 4k monitors. I thought burn in was a thing of the distant past so did not even research that and did not care too much about the underlying tech when I bought my monitors but turned out they are oled. My typical workflow whether working from home or doing hobby stuff at home display lot of static content so it's been a big issue. It seems to clear up after a while though... so I try to move windows around as much as I can. The burn in is mostly noticible on dark gray backgrounds, like the AT dark background.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I learned this the hard way with my current 4k monitors. I thought burn in was a thing of the distant past so did not even research that and did not care too much about the underlying tech when I bought my monitors but turned out they are oled. My typical workflow whether working from home or doing hobby stuff at home display lot of static content so it's been a big issue. It seems to clear up after a while though... so I try to move windows around as much as I can. The burn in is mostly noticible on dark gray backgrounds, like the AT dark background.
Image retention and burn-in are two separate things. From your last post about your monitor issues, you have IPS panels, which don't experience true burn-in.
Image retention is found on multiple display types, burn-in on the other hand is mostly relegated to Plasma and OLED panel types.

Burn-in is permanent, image retention is temporary.

Reactions: Mopetar

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The burn in is not an issue if you keep the brightness down, which you probably want to do anyway for comfortable desktop reading. I've used the LG OLEDs for years now with no burn-in by doing this. I use a low brightness profile for the desktop and a higher brightness profile for games, and have a black screensaver as well.

That's one of the things that really sold me on the benefit of VR, especially for people living in limited spaces or on a budget and can't really afford a large television. Even with the PSVR's low resolution, the almost 60-inch virtual screen looked really good. The other thing was 360 degree VR videos. Some youtube VR video about "friendly companion" girls where a girl was sitting right in front of the viewer, and another showing some lions being fed. The girl looked like someone actually sitting in front of me and the lions looked really fearsome, to the point that I don't get how people can go on safaris and have lions be so close to their jeeps and sometimes, on top of their jeeps! In both cases, my brain was sufficiently tricked.

I like spending time in Google Earth and Space Engine, and just exploring random cities around the world or different planets. It's like a virtual vacation, but you see things that you could never see in a regular vacation.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
The burn in is not an issue if you keep the brightness down, which you probably want to do anyway for comfortable desktop reading. I've used the LG OLEDs for years now with no burn-in by doing this. I use a low brightness profile for the desktop and a higher brightness profile for games, and have a black screensaver as well.

This is really easy to do automatically now in windows 11. I use HDR full time with the windows brightness slider on 10 or so, and then AutoHDR kicks in for non-HDR games. In my limited experience with it it works extremely well. I only switch to SDR mode when I’m editing photos. I know these OLEDs aren’t the best for color work either way but it is acceptable for my amateur photography. Certainly accurate enough to create pleasing results in prints.

The precautions are a compromise for sure but worth it to me and many others. I’ve had it for a year and a half now with no degradation. The new 42” size is tempting, but I need to try wall mounting my current 48” CX first. The extra 10” of viewing distance will likely mean the 48 is the right size.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That is an interesting approach. I keep Windows 10 on SDR and just have the different modes on the TV (like Expert (Dark Room), Game, etc.) set to different brightness (OLED Light) levels, and switch between them manually when I load up games.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Alas the MSRP will be out of reach for many!

I almost bought a 65 inch C1 for $1500 when I had the chance but didn't. For a brief moment, I was glad as this new tech will absolutely make better TVs, but now I fear the price will be double, or worse.

I'll reserve final judgement until MSRP for these models comes out but I kinda regret not getting it now.

Jul 27, 2020
I almost bought a 65 inch C1 for $1500 when I had the chance but didn't. For a brief moment, I was glad as this new tech will absolutely make better TVs, but now I fear the price will be double, or worse.

I'll reserve final judgement until MSRP for these models comes out but I kinda regret not getting it now.

Still not a bad deal with a 4 year premium protection plan. It could get more expensive due to shortage of components.