Info The QD-OLED Era begins. TVs and Gaming monitors announced.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
New QD-OLED TV, and Gaming Monitors based on Samsung panels have been announced at CES:

https://www.ces.tech/Innovation-Awa...-Odyssey-G8QNB-34”-Gaming-Monitor-(2022).aspx
Samsung Odyssey G8QNB 34” Gaming Monitor will be the world’s first Quantum Dot OLED (QD-OLED) gaming monitor, offering the best of both QLED and OLED screen technology. With high-performance features like a 175Hz refresh rate and 0.1ms

Same Panel in Alienware:

Sony QD-OLED TVs:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
From my understanding, the biggest difference between the current OLED and the new QD-OLED has to do with the color primaries.
LG uses WRGB subpixel layout (white, red, green, blue). With more than 50% of the luminance being provided by the white subpixel and less than half of the luminance being provided by the R/G/B subpixels.
Samsung's QD-OLED uses blue OLEDs, then uses a quantum dot filter layer to filter that blue light into red and green subpixels (and a clear scattering filter for the blue subpixel). This means 100% of your luminance is being provided by your color primaries (RGB).
This allows for much more saturated (and accurate) colors.

Reactions: Elfear

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I almost bought an LG C1 65" for $1500 when I had a chance, but I'm glad I waited.

I probably won't be glad I waited when I see the prices for the Samsung first party (or the Sony beefed up) QD-OLED TVs.

I have zero interest in ultra wide or 3440x1440 monitors due to using them for work and gaming so I will be waiting to see if any 4k/16:9/16:10 models end up announced. I have no doubt even the already announced model will be $3000 range.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I probably won't be glad I waited when I see the prices for the Samsung first party (or the Sony beefed up) QD-OLED TVs.
I'm honestly not sure if Samsung Electronics will use the QD-OLED panel. Samsung Electronics was rumored to have been a bit ticked off when Samsung Display announced they were moving production over to QD-OLED.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I'm honestly not sure if Samsung Electronics will use the QD-OLED panel. Samsung Electronics was rumored to have been a bit ticked off when Samsung Display announced they were moving production over to QD-OLED.

That doesn't necessarily mean they will refuse to make TVs with their own new flagship display technology, that seems a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Also Samsung is who flew Linus to their test room to demonstrate their new QD-OLED against LG OLED, so they clearly have test TVs at the very least.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
That doesn't necessarily mean they will refuse to make TVs with their own new flagship display technology, that seems a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Also Samsung is who flew Linus to their test room to demonstrate their new QD-OLED against LG OLED, so they clearly have test TVs at the very least.
Seems like they'll have at least 1 model, but no details currently, I couldn't even find anything put out about it from samsung, just this CES award.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It sounds like a nice advancement in OLED technology, but the hyperbole in that LTT video is a little much. Not like a C1 or C2 is going to be garbage once this hits. Heck, most people are gaming on poor HDR implementation today and don't care.

Reactions: Leeea

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I almost bought an LG C1 65" for $1500 when I had a chance, but I'm glad I waited.

I have zero interest in ultra wide or 3440x1440 monitors due to using them for work and gaming so I will be waiting to see if any 4k/16:9/16:10 models end up announced. I have no doubt even the already announced model will be $3000 range.

I was thinking the same, especially with those PC monitors. The few OLED monitors released have been way overpriced compared to the TVs. The tech looks impressive though, especially if it improves uniformity across the panel.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I was thinking the same, especially with those PC monitors. The few OLED monitors released have been way overpriced compared to the TVs. The tech looks impressive though, especially if it improves uniformity across the panel.
That's because the few monitor-sized OLED panels are all made by JOLED, and they're all much more catered to color-accurate work, not general monitor usage. They also use pure RGB subpixel layout, compared to LG's WRGB.

JOLED makes 3 panels, a 22", 28", and a 32", all 4k, and I think all at least $4,000.

Reactions: Leeea

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
QD-OLED sounds real nice, but I don't want to sell a kidney to get one.
So I'll wave at them for a few years, minimum. Until mass production cuts the cost.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The QD filters allow a much brighter display.
still not gonna be able to compete with a higher-end QLED at the moment, at least when it comes to full panel brightness. The new QD-OLEDs are getting like 20-30% brighter, but that means it's going from ~150 nits full screen to about 200 nits full screen.
QLEDs on the other hand can do 700+ nits full screen.

QD-OLED, at least for now, will still be best when used in a dark viewing environment.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
still not gonna be able to compete with a higher-end QLED at the moment, at least when it comes to full panel brightness. The new QD-OLEDs are getting like 20-30% brighter, but that means it's going from ~150 nits full screen to about 200 nits full screen.

QD-OLED, at least for now, will still be best when used in a dark viewing environment.

Don't care about brightness. Hardly anyone did until OLED TVs started to steal the show and Samsung started marketing brightness, since it was the only thing they could do better with LCD.

Reactions: Mopetar

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Don't care about brightness. Hardly anyone did until OLED TVs started to steal the show and Samsung started marketing brightness, since it was the only thing they could do better with LCD.
i mean, it's a pretty objective reality, you simply don't want an OLED in a room with a lot of light, it looks like crap

pic related is when linus tried to use an OLED outside for a hot tub setup.
2022-01-07 21_01_57-Samsung just made everything else OBSOLETE - YouTube - Personal - Microsof...png

They just can't get bright enough in well-lit environments, which is another reason why QLEDs look better to many consumers when comparing panels in a well lit box store like bestbuy, walmart, etc.

Here is a side by side comparison just to drive the point home
2022-01-07 21_07_38-LG OLED vs Samsung Neo QLED Mini LED TV Comparison - YouTube - Personal - ...png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mopetar and Ajay

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Drapes are pretty cheap.

I'm quite happy with my Panasonic 65" OLED TV except for its size. Been looking at LG's 83" C1 display. To me, the size is far more important than a marginal increase in brightness, especially if it's associated with a big bump in price.

Reactions: Heartbreaker

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999

say whut? Samsung claims the QD-OLED has a peak brightness of 1500 nits

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
i mean, it's a pretty objective reality, you simply don't want an OLED in a room with a lot of light, it looks like crap

pic related is when linus tried to use an OLED outside for a hot tub setup.
View attachment 55626

They just can't get bright enough in well-lit environments, which is another reason why QLEDs look better to many consumers when comparing panels in a well lit box store like bestbuy, walmart, etc.

Here is a side by side comparison just to drive the point home
View attachment 55627

Right because it's normal to put your TV outside. :rolleyes:

Indoors, I have curtains and blinds.

You know, the solution we used for many decades before the "brightness wars" started in an attempt to have an LCD win over OLED. That's if I watched daytime TV, which I don't anyway.

But sure, if you feel the need to open all the curtains and watch TV in the middle the day and want a TV to compete with the brightness of THE SUN, then an LCD is for you.

For everyone else an OLED is better.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Right because it's normal to put your TV outside. :rolleyes:

Indoors, I have curtains and blinds.

You know, the solution we used for many decades before the "brightness wars" started in an attempt to have an LCD win over OLED. That's if I watched daytime TV, which I don't anyway.

But sure, if you feel the need to open all the curtains and watch TV in the middle the day and want a TV to compete with the brightness of THE SUN, then an LCD is for you.

For everyone else an OLED is better.
Like I said, OLEDs are best suited for dark environments, if you can provide that dark environment, enjoy your OLED. Pretending everyone can just throw up blackout blinds is just stupid though, sure, it's great if you can do it, but some houses are just built with big windows and open spaces that let in lots of ambient lighting making an OLED TV unreasonable for some people as they'd need a LOT of window coverage to get acceptable ambient light levels during daytime hours.