The price tag for rebuilding Iraq.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: tcsenter
Can you offer any evidence -- i.e., a link or other verifiable source -- that the U.N. sanctions were "fueling hatred for the West among Muslim populations" and served as a "rallying cry for terrorist recruiters" to a significant extent, and more importantly, to a greater extent than our invasion? Yes, I understand you claim this is true. Please document this claim with evidence.
Bowfinger takes issue with my claim that the 'suffering of Iraqi children due to UN sanctions' was hardening opposition and fueling hatred for the United States and Britain among Muslim populations, enthusiastically assisted by all US-haters alike (be they radical Islamic Clerics or M.I.T. Linguists). Questioning its validity, Bowfinger wants "proof".
Do you think it's a good idea to start your rant with more lies given your credibility is already in question? You claim Bush did not cite terrorist connections as justification for invading Iraq. I proved this was untrue, using a letter from Bush himself on whitehouse.gov. You continue to dodge this in message after message. Do you have the integrity to acknowledge your mistake or not?

Moving on to your diatribe, once again you neatly ignore my key question, high-lighted above. No one questions that U.N. sanctions had an effect on Muslim feelings towards the West. The important question, the one that matters is whether our invasion of Iraq made this better or worse. I contend that it's much, much, worse, and I believe most people agree. You offered many interesting quotes, but none address this fundamental issue.

You also did not attempt to address my second, related question. (To your credit, you acknowledge this near the end of your reply.) Most of the U.N. countries opposed our invasion even though they are just as savvy about terrorism as we are. Why is that? If you were correct, they should have supported the invasion.

Finally, let's be clear about the context of this discussion. You floated a "rationale" that we invaded Iraq because the U.N. sanctions had to go. You made the grandiose claim that your rationale "completely subverts all criticisms of the Bush Administration's stated justification for war with Iraq and ties-up all seeming contradictions" (emphasis yours). Frankly, the claim is pompous nonsense. All criticisms? All contradictions? Please.

Re. you examples - I'll skip them to save space, but I agree you provided a lot of interesting information. Unfortunately, none address the key question of whether the invasion improved the situation compared to sanctions. I also note that most of the quotes don't even link sanctions to terrorism, though they do reinforce that sanctions were hurting the Iraqi people. Even those that do link sanctions with terrorism usually point to Israel and other U.S. activities in the region in addition to sanctions, thus supporting a contention of my first post.

In short, I still invite you to offer evidence that the U.N. sanctions were worse than our invasion with respect to "fueling hatred for the West among Muslim populations" and serving as a "rallying cry for terrorist recruiters."

And the next time you attempt to carry this discussion into another thread, I make you this promise: After I am through completely humiliating you here, I will created a new thread in every forum entitled "Bowfinger's total humiliation at the hands of tcsenter" with the aim of attracting an additional 10,000 AT Forum members to witness the spectacle of your obscene ignorance and humiliation who otherwise wouldn't have been following along. Bet on it.
rolleye.gif
Yes dear, whatever you say. I'd suggest you give your ego a rest before your head pops. I thought my comment was on-topic for that thread. Sorry if it bothered you.

(For those that missed it, there is a true confessions thread over in OT. In that thread, tcsenter confessed that he is 32 years old and still lives with his parents.)

Oh, and you still haven't acknowledged that your claim re. Bush, 9/11, and the invasion is untrue.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BOBDN
So what does any of that have to do with the price tag for rebuilding Iraq?
Good point. It's easy to lose sight of the original topic of the thread.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

I bring it up because no one has been able to explain how we're going to pay for this mess Bush got us into or why for that matter the mess was created in the first place.

But obviously it's economically feasible to throw away money for some since they don't have to worry about their living arrangements.

That would also help explain their careless attitude and support for an unnecessary war that will cost the US taxpayers billions of dollars. :)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I bring it up because no one has been able to explain how we're going to pay for this mess Bush got us into or why for that matter the mess was created in the first place.

But obviously it's economically feasible to throw away money for some since they don't have to worry about their living arrangements.

That would also help explain their careless attitude and support for an unnecessary war that will cost the US taxpayers billions of dollars. :)

Hope you both had a nice little laugh:disgust:

The war wasn't "unnecessary" IMO and in the opinion of quite a large group of people. Are you so careless that you want to cost the taxpayers billions and billion of dollars in SCAMS like SS and UHC? Oh, right....BOBDN - the public spending watchdog and the judge of good/evil
rolleye.gif
;)

Nobody can answer the question about how much it will cost. This is a very dynamic situation we are dealing with here. The sooner the Iraqis can govern and police themselves the sooner we can leave and the sooner we can quit pumping billions of taxpayer dollars per month over there. It isn't that hard of a concept...well maybe for some people.

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

The war wasn't "unnecessary" IMO and in the opinion of quite a large group of people. Are you so careless that you want to cost the taxpayers billions and billion of dollars in SCAMS like SS and UHC? Oh, right....BOBDN - the public spending watchdog and the judge of good/evil
rolleye.gif
;)

Nobody can answer the question about how much it will cost. This is a very dynamic situation we are dealing with here. The sooner the Iraqis can govern and police themselves the sooner we can leave and the sooner we can quit pumping billions of taxpayer dollars per month over there. It isn't that hard of a concept...well maybe for some people.

CkG

SS and UHC aren't the topic of this thread. If you'd like to discuss those issues please start a thread to discuss them.

As for judging good and evil everyone has their opinions. Ask Bush. He'll tell you all about the "Axis of Evil."

The concept of Iraqis regaining control of their own nation isn't very hard for me. IMO the US shouldn't have taken control of their nation to begin with. Particularly on false grounds.

As for the cost the Bush administration has refused to give even an estimate. Rumsfeld said when asked he couldn't estimate the cost because he wouldn't want to give the wrong figure.
rolleye.gif
Go figure.

Unfortunately now that we've invaded and destroyed Iraq and are now responsible for fixing it we can't just leave. We have to spend whatever it takes to fix what Bush and Co. decided to screw up.

It's time for the Bush administration to level with the American people about the cost of their invasion.

Pressure is increasing for the Bush administration to tell the American people just what they've gotten us into even if they can't be honest as to why they got us into it.

Senators Press Bush to Outline Iraq Costs

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

About what? I thought tcsenter's threats were funny in a pathetic sort of way, but I suspect that's not what you meant.

The war wasn't "unnecessary" IMO and in the opinion of quite a large group of people.
Unfortunately, several billion others disagree.

Are you so careless that you want to cost the taxpayers billions and billion of dollars in SCAMS like SS and UHC? Oh, right....BOBDN - the public spending watchdog and the judge of good/evil
Give it a rest. Only the most strident right-wing extremists consider Social Secuirty a "scam". Yes, it has problems. The only "scam" is the politicians who want to kill it for their own political gain.

CkG
That's a cop-out. Every businessperson knows how to make reasonable cost projections based on the data one has coupled with intelligent assumptions. Worst case, you develop a set of cost scenarios based on different assumptions about the future. Perhaps Bush lacks the (successful) business experience to develop budget projections, but you know he has plenty of people who can, starting with Cheney.

The Bush administration refuses to reveal their projections because they will be damaging. If they give honest numbers, people will be horrified by the cost. If they offer a Pollyanna projection based on absurd assumptions, it will be ripped to shreds. Either way, they lose. They're opting for their tried and true Plan 1: dig in, deny, distort, distract, and wait for the public to lose interest. We'll see how that flies in 2004.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Tabb
Anyone want to take a wild guess of how much oil in USD is in Iraq?

There is certainly enough oil in Iraq to pay for whatever Iraq needs. However it is Iraq's oil.

If you'll read the links above you'll see part of the problem is the oil isn't flowing, it will take years to bring about a profitable oil industry in Iraq, and L. Paul Bremer is saying there is a need for tens of billions of dollars immediately.

Now the oil in Iraq may be as good as money in the bank but the money belongs to the Iraqi people and it's not available for several years.

Are the US taxpayers supposed to pick up the tab in the meantime? Do you think the majority of Americans will mind sending tens of billions of dollars to Iraq while the economy languishes here?

I find it interesting that they keep saying 10's of Billions of Dollars 'immediately' then they say it will take Year(s) to rebuild and get the oil flowing. Let's see... If it only took two years and my best guess is probably around five.

Well, let's see. 4 billion a month. 48 billion a year... 2 years 100 billion... Hmmmm... Is it just me or is this just another Sick Bush Joke?

I sure hope we can get someone else in charge that may know how to add. I hope no one around here is planning on retirement... I am thinking since we will have to raise the ceiling on the deficit once again there won't be much hope for the new guy in office. But I guess Bill did get the Black Ink flowing maybe someone else can do it again?

Here ...Who gives a F**K about Iraq... Check this out.

As long a A-Hole bush is in charge this will keep going up like a rocket....

Hey Buddy... Can you spare 25K? Thanks Bush....

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
You claim Bush did not cite terrorist connections as justification for invading Iraq. I proved this was untrue, using a letter from Bush himself on whitehouse.gov. You continue to dodge this in message after message. Do you have the integrity to acknowledge your mistake or not?
I will address this question in due time.
Moving on to your diatribe, once again you neatly ignore my key question, high-lighted above. No one questions that U.N. sanctions had an effect on Muslim feelings towards the West.
Nice try. Let's look at this "key question, highlighted above":
Can you offer any evidence -- i.e., a link or other verifiable source -- that the U.N. sanctions were "fueling hatred for the West among Muslim populations" and served as a "rallying cry for terrorist recruiters" to a significant extent,<-- comma
That forms the basis of your "key question" as you have written it. You then make an additional request, as implied by your placement of a comma after "extent":
and more importantly, to a greater extent than our invasion?
Had you meant the latter phrase to be a condition of the first, it would have been written like this:
...served as a "rallying cry for terrorist recruiters" to a significant extent and, more importantly, to a greater extent than our invasion?
Skipped your High School English courses on those days the comma was taught?

A second way would have been to entirely eliminate the phrase 'to a significant extent,' and replace it with 'to a greater extent...'.

Further, you apparently didn't read any of the citations I've provided. There are no less than three which imply that our policy of containment as a way to address the Hussein regime was the true source of discontent over the Iraq situation:

"Explaining Arab Anger", BBC News (September 2001):

- While Gulf Arabs might have applauded the US-led war against Iraq, the subsequent sanctions regime has punished the Iraqi people while Saddam continues to build palaces. There is a widespread feeling that the Americans have never been serious about unseating Saddam.

"The Roots of Rage", Newsweek (October 2001):

- Elsewhere, they look at American policy in the region as cynically geared to US oil interests, supporting thugs and tyrants without any hesitation. Finally, the bombing and isolation of Iraq have become fodder for daily attacks on the United States. While many in the Arab world do not like Saddam Hussein, they believe that the United States has chosen a particularly inhuman method of fighting him - a method that is starving an entire nation.

"Roots of Rage", Time Magazine:

- America's detractors complain that the U.S. is impervious not only to Arab rights but also to Arab suffering. If the Palestinians are Exhibit A, the Iraqis are Exhibit B. While most Arabs detest Saddam for his own brand of brutality and arrogance, they don't understand why the U.S. continues to insist, 10 years after the Iraqis were forced out of Kuwait, on worldwide sanctions that are devastating the Iraqi people.

---------------------------------------

This underscores a palpable theme running through sentiments of a significant portion of the Arab/Muslim world, which says (in essence): 'We support actions that target the Hussein regime, but the way this has been pursued is unconscionable because it doesn't hurt the Hussein regime at all, it is hurting the Iraqi people. If you're going to target the Hussein regime, then target the Hussein regime in a way that doesn't wreak devastation upon an entire population as a consequence.'

Had you actually been following World Affairs instead of only gleaning 'tidbits' which support your agenda to cast the Bush Administration as villians, you would know this has been the unavoidable message we have heard consistently from the Arab/Muslim world.
The important question, the one that matters is whether our invasion of Iraq made this better or worse. I contend that it's much, much, worse, and I believe most people agree. You offered many interesting quotes, but none address this fundamental issue.
So then ask questions, don't frame them in the context of your misrepresentation (or misreading) of my position.

Our former policy was to continue doing indefinitely what we had been doing. This became unacceptable for the reasons I've repeatedly cited and you repeatedly ignore. The sanctions had to go, our military presence on the Arabian peninsula had to go, two of the three grievances cited by Bin Laden. These are concrete conclusions which few would dispute (except perhaps you). Before either of those things could be addressed, the reason for their existance had to be addressed - Hussein.

What is particularly instructive, is that terrorism authorities and academics who study Islamic terrorism unanimously reason that Bin Laden cites three particular grievances precisely because he knows these are the issues that resonate most effectively within those populations Bin Laden is attempting to recruit. Yet you actually attempt to dismiss the validity of one grievance and its relationship to terrorism by advancing some wholly peripheral grievances that Bin Laden doesn't cite:
I also note that most of the quotes don't even link sanctions to terrorism, though they do reinforce that sanctions were hurting the Iraqi people. Even those that do link sanctions with terrorism usually point to Israel and other U.S. activities in the region in addition to sanctions, thus supporting a contention of my first post.
There isn't a single article, report, position paper, essay, or scholarly paper which has been published on the face of the planet which resembles this opinion. You're pretty much it.

This would suggest your intent is to entertain any desperate argumentative tactic, going as far as to dismiss or discount even the most unimpeachable facts that no one but you is willing to challenge, in order to wage a campaign of belligerent harassment of my argument.

That's ok, I'm very familiar with belligerent argumentative methods and am quite adept at exposing them as I just did above. I don't do this in hopes of accomplishing the impossible - convincing someone who belligerently refuses to acknowledge even the most irrefutable of facts. I do it for the benefit of those who are following along and are always willing to consider a sound argument, even if they don't like its implications.

I have provided support for the belief that, within the greater Muslim world, an effort to depose Hussein, provided it targets Hussein and lifts the sanctions, will not serve to fuel hatred for the West in any significant way as to - in the long term - cause greater support for terrorist organizations than if we continued enforcing the sanctions against Iraq and maintaining a military presence on the Arabian peninsula indefinitely.

What the hell is Bin Laden going to cite as a grievance three years from now, "Because the Infidel liberated the people of Iraq from a brutal dictator and restored hope that all people of Iraq will once again have freedom and prosperity, it is the duty of all Muslims to kill Americans and their allies - civilian and military."

Yeah, that would infuriate me, if I were a Muslim.

Furthermore, in three years (or less), we should be able to finish the withdraw of our military presence from the Arabian peninsula, which has already begun, eliminating a second of Bin Laden's main grievances.

You have not provided a stitch of support, other than your personal conjecture and an empty 'most people would agree', for your assertion that the effort to depose Hussein will serve to fuel hatred for the West in any significant way as to - in the long term - cause greater support for terrorist organizations than if we continued enforcing the sanctions against Iraq and keeping a military presence in the Arabian peninsula indefinitely.

You do understand the concept of shouldering a near-term but not insignificant cost for long-term benefit, right? You do also understand that in such a case, the long-term benefit may not be (and usually isn't) readily as apparent as the not insignificant near-term cost which it requires, right?

It is a lot to ask of a lot of people, particularly Americans, to 'see' a benefit which won't be realized for a number of years when they're bearing the costs necessary to produce that benefit today. Its called myopia or short-sightedness.
You also did not attempt to address my second, related question. (To your credit, you acknowledge this near the end of your reply.) Most of the U.N. countries opposed our invasion even though they are just as savvy about terrorism as we are. Why is that? If you were correct, they should have supported the invasion.
lol! Another 'prove the earth is round' question that could not possibly be asked by anyone who has followed World Affairs.

The UN has rejected the proposition of forced regime change in Iraq since Gulf War I. The UN has never accepted the proposition that its role should include 'regime changing' except in compelling circumstances. It has been particularly resistant to 'regime changing' when the degree of difficulty is high even though the circumstances are compelling.

The Clinton Administration and Senator John Kerry, among many other Democrats (when their party held the White House), had the vision to see there would come a time in the not-so-distant future when our policy of containment would no longer be acceptable, in sponsoring the Iraq Liberation Act, which called for the ouster of the Hussein regime.

Though some were openly advocating forced regime change, and many others alluding to it, the Clinton Administration knew there was neither the international nor domestic support for deposing the Hussein regime by direct military action, due in no small part to France, Russia, and Germany's financial stake in the Hussein regime, but also because they were rather enjoying the successful political game they were playing within the UN and international sphere which would have the US and Britain cast as the villian - not them.

Russia and France were the largest beneficiaries of the UN's Oil-For-Food program. They were the largest economic partners with Hussein's Iraq. They were not being blamed for the 'suffering of the Iraqi people' under the sanctions, since their sympathies lay with the Hussein regime...err...I mean the Iraqi people (wink wink). There was not a single reason France, Russia, and Germany would want to support a regime change in Iraq and every reason to oppose it.

Afghanistan, on the other hand, was entirely different. Not only did no UNSC member have any meaningful financial stake in the Taliban, but the Afghanistan problem was not one which threatened only the United States and Britain. Afghanistan served as a training ground, network hub, and safe harbor for many different terrorist groups, including those that have conducted terrorist attacks in Russia, Italy, Spain, India, and at least a half-dozen other countries. It was in their own security interests to support our action in Afghanistan, because Afghanistan was exporting terror to their own backyards.

Not so with Iraq. The Iraq problem threatened to inflame only anti-US sentiment and hatred. When you read the accusation that the US is deposing the Hussein regime for 'American reasons and interests', that accusation is exactly correct. No other country, except Britain and Israel, has an interest in deposing the Hussein regime because no other country is the subject of increasing backlash and hatred over the Iraq sanctions and military presence on the Arabian Peninsula.

How could anyone purporting to understand World Affairs need to have these irrefutable realities explained to them? Amazing!
Finally, let's be clear about the context of this discussion. You floated a "rationale" that we invaded Iraq because the U.N. sanctions had to go. You made the grandiose claim that your rationale "completely subverts all criticisms of the Bush Administration's stated justification for war with Iraq and ties-up all seeming contradictions" (emphasis yours). Frankly, the claim is pompous nonsense. All criticisms? All contradictions? Please.
I'm clear about the context, and my statement stands. Let's recap the desperate lengths to which you have already went in an attempt to discredit my argument:

- All terrorism authorities know less than you. Bin Laden's reference to Iraqi sanctions and US military presence on the Arabian Peninsula - two of three main grievances cited by Bin Laden - really aren't linked in any significant way to those central issues that motivate thousands of young Arabs to join terrorist groups

- Bin Laden knows less than you about what issues most effectively resonate with those disgruntled populations and circles he is trying to reach

- Inflating without substantiation the impact of the Iraq war within the Muslim world while discounting clear evidence that continued sanctions and military presence on the Arabian penninsula are substantially greater threats in the long run

- Feigning ignorance (maybe you're not feigning?) of well-known issues in World Affairs

- Feigning ignorance (maybe you're not feigning?) of well-known political wrangling that has been going-on in the United Nations for years now

Am I missing any?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Am I missing any?

Just the one at the top of the page.

Estimated at $100 BILLION and possibly many times higher according to who you ask.

So, your world record longest post aside, who do you think will end up paying for Bush's unnecessary invasion and where will we get that kind of money?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
rolleye.gif
Yes dear, whatever you say. I'd suggest you give your ego a rest before your head pops. I thought my comment was on-topic for that thread. Sorry if it bothered you.

(For those that missed it, there is a true confessions thread over in OT. In that thread, tcsenter confessed that he is 32 years old and still lives with his parents.)

Oh, and you still haven't acknowledged that your claim re. Bush, 9/11, and the invasion is untrue.

Bwaaa HA HA HA! Good one. :D I even found the OT thread. tcsenter's got a big, bloated head -- someone needs to pop it and let the air out a bit.

Wow, that is bad. Ok, I'll make you feel better.

I still live with my parents. What's so bad about that you say?

I'm 32!

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey <

Bwaaa HA HA HA! Good one. :D I even found the OT thread. tcsenter's got a big, bloated head -- someone needs to pop it and let the air out a bit.

There is no air in a vacuum.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Bwaaa HA HA HA! Good one. I even found the OT thread. tcsenter's got a big, bloated head -- someone needs to pop it and let the air out a bit.
Hey, good job. You can now add immaturity to your long list of character flaws for making fun of people who are disabled and cannot support themselves. Give yourself a pat on the back! ;)

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Bwaaa HA HA HA! Good one. I even found the OT thread. tcsenter's got a big, bloated head -- someone needs to pop it and let the air out a bit.
Hey, good job. You can now add immaturity to your long list of character flaws...

Hey, now ain't that a coincidence? That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this...
<<And the next time you attempt to carry this discussion into another thread, I make you this promise: After I am through completely humiliating you here, I will created a new thread in every forum entitled "Bowfinger's total humiliation at the hands of tcsenter" with the aim of attracting an additional 10,000 AT Forum members to witness the spectacle of your obscene ignorance and humiliation who otherwise wouldn't have been following along. Bet on it.>>

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Hey, now ain't that a coincidence? That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this...
It is profoundly bad form bordering on childish harassment to pursue people into other threads and carry a different discussion there out of some belligerent attempt to force someone back into discussion they may only temporarily have left and haven't had an opportunity to rejoin. I'll respond when I'm ready to respond, not when he wants me to respond.

That you're either too dumb to know this or think there's nothing wrong with it doesn't make my proposed remedy to this childish harassment immature. I can't make him stop being childish, but I can make him a promise he won't want to see fulfilled if he doesn't stop.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It is profoundly bad form bordering on childish harassment to pursue people into other threads and carry a different discussion there out of some belligerent attempt to force someone back into discussion they may only temporarily have left and haven't had an opportunity to rejoin. I'll respond when I'm ready to respond, not when he wants me to respond.

That you're either too dumb to know this or think there's nothing wrong with it doesn't make my proposed remedy to this childish harassment immature. I can't make him stop being childish, but I can make him a promise he won't want to see fulfilled if he doesn't stop.

Why do you assume that I'm either too dumb to know this or think there's nothing wrong with it? Because I think you're so-called 'proposed remedy' is immature? Is everyone who thinks that you're so-called 'proposed remedy' is immature either dumb or ignorant?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Why do you assume that I'm either too dumb to know this or think there's nothing wrong with it? Because I think you're so-called 'proposed remedy' is immature? Is everyone who thinks that you're so-called 'proposed remedy' is immature either dumb or ignorant?
Because my proposed remedy is wholly appropriate for the situation, unless you do not agree that "It is profoundly bad form bordering on childish harassment to pursue people into other threads and carry a different discussion there out of some belligerent attempt to force someone back into discussion they may only temporarily have left and haven't had an opportunity to rejoin."

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Because my proposed remedy is wholly appropriate for the situation, unless you do not agree that "It is profoundly bad form bordering on childish harassment to pursue people into other threads and carry a different discussion there out of some belligerent attempt to force someone back into discussion they may only temporarily have left and haven't had an opportunity to rejoin."

So if you think it is wholly appropiate and I think it is immature, I'm either dumb or ignorant? Gotcha.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
So how about that estimated $100 BILLION to fix what Bush broke in Iraq?

Seems quite a high price for bringing freedom to the Iraqi people.

Even though that's not what we were told we were going there to do in the beginning.

It seems to be quite a high price even for protecting ourselves from the imminent threat
rolleye.gif
we were going there to combat.

Hell, that's 4000 US dollars for every man, woman and child in Iraq!

More money than most of them see in a lifetime.

Hell, we could have just paid them to do the job themselves!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Hey, good job. You can now add immaturity to your long list of character flaws for making fun of people who are disabled and cannot support themselves. Give yourself a pat on the back! ;)

Your lies and condescending attitude will get you absolutely nowhere around here.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001

Estimated at $100 BILLION and possibly many times higher according to who you ask.

So, your world record longest post aside, who do you think will end up paying for Bush's unnecessary invasion and where will we get that kind of money?
I'll answer yours, if you answer mine:

Who do you think will end up paying the price of maintaining sanctions against Iraq and a US military presence on the Arabian peninsula indefinitely and where are we going to get the money to pay for a couple more 9/11's?
Your lies and condescending attitude will get you absolutely nowhere around here.
Its no secret that I'm disabled, the fact that I live with my parents was hardly a 'confession'. I've stated these facts a dozen times in other threads over many months.

Give yourself a pat on the back for making fun of disabled people!

povertystruck

Aug 19, 2003
Why not split Iraq up between the kurds,sunni, and shia; making sure they all agree to the split? Wouldn't that lower
fighting between these groups?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Who do you think will end up paying the consequences of maintaining sanctions against Iraq and a US military presence on the Arabian peninsula indefinitely and where are we going to get the money to pay for a couple more 9/11's?
To me it seems the invasion guarantees a permanent presence in the region, in multiple spots, and with it a perpetual taxpayer obligation to fund that presence. And I really wonder if it doesn't insure those future 9/11s?

As we're seeing, containment was cheap compared to conquest, reconstruction and dominance. :(

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Who do you think will end up paying the consequences of maintaining sanctions against Iraq and a US military presence on the Arabian peninsula indefinitely and where are we going to get the money to pay for a couple more 9/11's?

Another fortune teller.

The two year anniversary of 9/11 is just 9 days away. There hasn't been another terrorist attack. Even though the Bush administration hasn't taken the necessary steps to avoid another one. Too costly what with the $500 BILLION deficit and the cost of the unnecessary invasion of Iraq. So we haven't really paid for the first one, have we? Let's not worry about "a couple more" until we've at least made a down payment on the first.

The only worry I have about another 9/11 is that Bush and Co. will need something to take the focus off the mess they've made in Iraq. And another reason to advance their sick agenda. And they probably wouldn't mind another 9/11 as long as it happened in a state that didn't vote for them anyway. Like the first one.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
To me it seems the invasion guarantees a permanent presence in the region, in multiple spots, and with it a perpetual taxpayer obligation to fund that presence. And I really wonder if it doesn't insure those future 9/11s?

As we're seeing, containment was cheap compared to conquest, reconstruction and dominance. :(

Of course we are safer. Now instead of just having our Saudi "friends," we have our Iraqi "friends." With friends like these, why would we need to worry about another 9/11?