The prettiest FPS games out today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Installing new meshes, 4k textures and ENB will only get you halfway there. It is not just a matter of pushing the graphic sliders to the max: you usually have to dig enb config files and change settings 1 by 1. It is time consuming and tedious. Those types of screenshots are taken with graphics settings pushed to the max that usually render the game unplayable (<30fps on titan class gpus).

they gotta make it more accessible, even if it does make it unplayable lol. 10 years ago, digging through config files would have been fine, today i don't have that time.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Doom and the Metro games are my picks. Crysis 3 gets a nod too.

crysis, while I dont know much about the latest one.(spoilers) I just remember looking out over the valley with the space ship mountain in background, the enemy tanks rolling in below you, impressive, then the Mountain started crumbleing, that HUGE azz Mountain is falling apart, impressive.. now they all do that stuff, but that was a Huge WOW for me. Any game where you can go if you can see it impresses the heck out of me.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
pretty: bioshock infinite.

breath taking: doom 2016

Disappointing: The Division.... that game was so neutered down like watch dogs compared to E3, i have no more expectations for Ubisoft and there trailers.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
never did I think doom16 looked anything special. -_-

Infinite is good but showing its age.

I still have a soft spot for gta5 but thats just me admiring how much work the mappers put in to make so much unique square footage.

Uncharted 4 prolly has some stunning stuff in it but no ps4 so haven't personally played it.

Overwatch is actually pretty awesome if you like the mirrors edge aesthetic. Still lacks the nature touch though as many trees are static.

Last edited:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Yeah, I agree with JeffMD. Doom 2016 doesn't look like anything special. In fact, I had to go back and check out Doom 3 just to make sure the graphics are better. In the end, I think Doom 3 (2006) vs. Doom (2016) graphics might be a wash for me...

so far, Uncharted 4 has been the best in terms of graphics and Art Direction. Countless times I found myself gawking at the graphics.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Yeah, I agree with JeffMD. Doom 2016 doesn't look like anything special. In fact, I had to go back and check out Doom 3 just to make sure the graphics are better. In the end, I think Doom 3 (2006) vs. Doom (2016) graphics might be a wash for me...

so far, Uncharted 4 has been the best in terms of graphics and Art Direction. Countless times I found myself gawking at the graphics.
I've done that with Fallout 4, Crysis, and Far Cry 2 & 3. Although of those four, Fallout 4 often has muddy, unappealing textures when seen up close.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Graphic intensity and prettiest don't always go hand in hand. Art direction is a big part of it for me.

I think my favorite game for art direction currently and prettiness goes to Bioshock Infinite. I've played a bit of Ethan Carter, but I don't really care for the aesthetics.

Alien: Isolation beats out Doom IMO, even though it may not be as advanced technically or be overbearingly intensive as Doom or Cyrsis and such.

Neither of those games require mods or anything other than just turning up the graphics.

If you are just looking for something that will kill your system to look nice, then yes, Skyrim modded out until it is unplayable is the go to.

Yeah,i loved the look of bioshock infinite too.damn i feel like firing it up again.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Yeah,i loved the look of bioshock infinite too.damn i feel like firing it up again.
Just bought on Steam sale including Season Pass for 12.00. Looking forward to playing.
Unfortunately, Bioshock on DVD was unplayable due to game bug, and it appears the Steam version is suffering from the same bug (unable to progress to next map after a certain point in the game). Unfortunately, the issue was never resoled.Thanks for letting me air an old gripe.

The Wife

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
ARMA 3

If you can crank everything up it is one of if not the best looking fps.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Just bought on Steam sale including Season Pass for 12.00. Looking forward to playing.
Unfortunately, Bioshock on DVD was unplayable due to game bug, and it appears the Steam version is suffering from the same bug (unable to progress to next map after a certain point in the game). Unfortunately, the issue was never resoled.Thanks for letting me air an old gripe.

The Wife

What is this bug that is so consistant with you? never had an issue myself, and clearly most people.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
What is this bug that is so consistant with you? never had an issue myself, and clearly most people.
It's possible it's the "Scrounger Tonic vs Langford's Safe" one which I ran into on my first playthrough or the "immediately backtrack from Fort Frolic upon starting it" (which I've never done):-
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock#Gameplay_breaking_issues

However, both are avoidable (unequip scrounger before opening safe), plus the last time I checked Bioshock 1-2 games create a series of auto-saves in different slots upon starting a level (on top of quick & manual saves), so if you already know about either of them then less than 5 seconds of gameplay is lost if you save just before opening the safe / backtracking from the level you just started. (Example #731 of how older games with multiple quick-save slots are far less fragile & annoying vs bugs than modern "evolved" single-slot checkpoint-only stuff).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nice try but no. It's not a shooter. At best it's a first person adventure game with rpg elements.

Skyrim is 3rd person! :colbert:

Witcher 3 is tops for me. (also not an FPS....but I don't really play FPS and yet I demand that I be allowed to contribute anyway. :D)

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002

Somewhere in the middle of the game...Fort Frolic? Been so long, I can't remember exactly where. I finished level and had to access train station. I could not, so game could not progress. I tried all workarounds such as reloading level, deleting save game...even reinstalled game to play from beginning. Same place, stuck, game would not progress. At the time, several other people had same problem, though in different maps (areas).
I liked the game, but could never finish it. :(

The Wife

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It's possible it's the "Scrounger Tonic vs Langford's Safe" one which I ran into on my first playthrough or the "immediately backtrack from Fort Frolic upon starting it" (which I've never done):-
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock#Gameplay_breaking_issues

However, both are avoidable (unequip scrounger before opening safe), plus the last time I checked Bioshock 1-2 games create a series of auto-saves in different slots upon starting a level (on top of quick & manual saves), so if you already know about either of them then less than 5 seconds of gameplay is lost if you save just before opening the safe / backtracking from the level you just started. (Example #731 of how older games with multiple quick-save slots are far less fragile & annoying vs bugs than modern "evolved" single-slot checkpoint-only stuff).
I never had this issue ever and I bought the DVD for Bioshock 1 & 2.

Install Bioshock 1 and let it do a small update. Then download and install the 1.1 patch for the game.

I completed this game last week and I am still as impressed with it as I was the first time I played it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Somewhere in the middle of the game...Fort Frolic? Been so long, I can't remember exactly where. I finished level and had to access train station. I could not, so game could not progress. I tried all workarounds such as reloading level, deleting save game...even reinstalled game to play from beginning. Same place, stuck, game would not progress. At the time, several other people had same problem, though in different maps (areas).
I liked the game, but could never finish it. :(

The Wife
There are no train stations in Bioshock 1. There are a few abandoned street cars in Olympus Heights/Apollo Square. There are personal bathyspheres.

Bioshock 2 has train stations due to the Atlantic Express.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
There are no train stations in Bioshock 1. There are a few abandoned street cars in Olympus Heights/Apollo Square. There are personal bathyspheres.
You're correct. Played the game 8 yrs ago, so didn't remember exact locale...Olympus Hts sounds right. Anyway, might give the game another go on current laptop, because I did like the game.

The Wife

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
You're correct. Played the game 8 yrs ago, so didn't remember exact locale...Olympus Hts sounds right. Anyway, might give the game another go on current laptop, because I did like the game.

The Wife
plays great on win10.

I am now starting Bioshock 2 again. I did the free steam update because I had bought the game first. It's nice having all the DLC for free. Minerva's Den is fantastic.

should play great on my I5 system.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
crysis 3 gets my vote. damn that game was pretty - and the music was good too.