"The peace candidate always wins"

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
According to a tracking study by Gallup...
http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

... currently 63% of Americans think the invasion of Iraq was a mistake. 56% of Americans would like to withdraw troops from Iraq.

But with the economy not looking so good, it also has become a major factor in the elections as well.

Can McCain actually win the general election with his stance on Iraq? Or will his disagreements on how it was played out make Americans more optimistic in seeing better success there?

The war in Iraq is an important issue to me in the election, and looking at the remaining two candidates (or three if you think Hillary can squeeze in there), Obama seems to be the best choice. However I do plan to vote for the Libertarian candidate to help that party become more popular, and to send a message to Republicans that they cannot act in this manner and keep me as a voter.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
I'm not exactly sure yet. I can't vote for the Democrats or Republicans because they both support big government. Its either the LP, writing in Ron Paul, or I'm not voting.

edit: I talked to my mom who used to be a blind partisan Republican and now she can't vote for either party as well. She's not a big fan of war or lots of government spending.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre
... currently 63% of Americans think the invasion of Iraq was a mistake. 56% of Americans would like to withdraw troops from Iraq.
This will be a major issue come Fall for Johnny "100 More Years" McCain.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: loki8481
The peace candidate always wins

really? how's president kerry doing as he finishes his first term in office?

Hehe I was about to ask.
Kerry went into the election about 18 months after the war started, while we were still making "progress".

Now, 5 years, 4,000 dead, and several hundred billion dollars into making "progress", the landscape has changed dramatically.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Hehe I was about to ask.
Kerry went into the election about 18 months after the war started, while we were still making "progress".

Now, 5 years, 4,000 dead, and several hundred billion dollars into making "progress", the landscape has changed dramatically.

Because the war was so much more popular 4 year ago sparky.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The economy is issue #1 now, you want to make Iraq issue #1 bring back the draft.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

Hehe I was about to ask.

Because the war was so much more popular 4 year ago sparky.
You know it. ;)

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: 1prophet
The economy is issue #1 now, you want to make Iraq issue #1 bring back the draft.

The majority of Americans believe Iraq and the US economy are interconnected issues (that is, the ongoing war is contributing to the worsening economy)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
at least November will bring us two clear and different choices, so Americans can voice their opinion of the war in the voting booth.

will it be Barack "Let's pull them out before we put them back in later" Obama vs John "Let's win this thing the first time" McCain?

or will it be Barack "Withdraw on Day One" vs John "100 more years"?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
According to a tracking study by Gallup...
http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

I think it was a mistake, and based on current incompetent leadership in the military who wish to use our soldiers as policemen on the streets of Iraq instead of for combat operations, I have no choice but to suggest they be removed from that situation. The way we use our soldiers over there is folly.

This election is so screwed up I don?t know who I am going to vote for.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree on the peace candidate always wins hypothesis, Kerry may not be a good test, but I seem to recall a fellow like Mc Govern who did not do well.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Did Kerry promise to end the war quickly, and withdraw troops? I can't remember the details of his stance. :eek:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Did Kerry promise to end the war quickly, and withdraw troops? I can't remember the details of his stance. :eek:

he had so many different positions, a quick end to the war had to have been in there somewhere. :p

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
This is kind of a bad push poll. How about changing the 3rd option to something like -
I'm voting for McCain because we need to stay in Iraq and help repair the damage we've caused.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
I agree on the peace candidate always wins hypothesis, Kerry may not be a good test, but I seem to recall a fellow like Mc Govern who did not do well.

Actually, I don't agree nor disagree with the statement. I'm sure in the long run, it would depend on the situation and the merit of the appropriate war. But in the case of Iraq and today, the statement was made by Paul and I thought it relevant, that's all. Obviously, his statement wasn't true if you are a Republican candidate. :D

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

he had so many different positions, a quick end to the war had to have been in there somewhere. :p

:laugh:

Originally posted by: RY62
This is kind of a bad push poll. How about changing the 3rd option to something like -
I'm voting for McCain because we need to stay in Iraq and help repair the damage we've caused.

I know, it isn't perfect. That's why I asked "which one best fits."

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I like this option.

"Vote for McCain to prevent another rubberstamp congress"?
Vote for McCain to get a lame duck Presidency through 2012?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
The incumbent war president always wins.

Since there won't be one running this time around, the candidate in favor of getting out of an unpopular war more quickly is likely to win. McCain isn't exactly Mr. Enthusiastic. He basically won the Rep nomination by default since he was up against a bunch of mcgoos. Obama, who isn't great without a teleprompter, will still shred the old man in a debate. I think they've scheduled 4 or 5 already.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I like this option.

I'd take a lameduck over a rubberstamp anyday of the week.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I like this option.

I'd take a lameduck over a rubberstamp anyday of the week.
So would I, but it's far more important we hit the 'undo' button on the last 8 years before that.