The PC game of the week is... Homeworld

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you haven't played Homeworld then you're missing out on a truly great game. The game has everything that today?s games don't even dare attempt. It had innovative gameplay mechanics, unique artistic style, and unique musical score. It's not only very challenging, but rewarding at the same time. Here are some videos to help jog your memory:

Game Intro

End Game Credits

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Legendary.

Describes this game to a tee. Its like an emotional rollercoaster while playing an interactive epic space battle.

Homeworld 2 and Cataclysm just added more story to the fire.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't think anyone was going to reply with the slew of new PC games out or about to come out. Ah well, I'll always be playing my old games right along with the new games.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Wicked fun game, I haven't thought about it in a long time though. It just wasn't quite as addicting as other strategy games.

Many people didn't have the patients to learn the controls or have the patients with the slower portions of the game. Difficulty often ramped up very quickly after the slow sections.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
One of my favorite games ever...the pace of the campaign storyline was exceptional...having the ability to salvage your fleet from one mission to the next definitely made the player emotionally invested in keeping ships alive...sound effects and musical score were both amazing...and for the time, the graphics were quite good as well.

Have been waiting and hoping for a Homeworld like RTS since Homeworld 2 came out.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well, I used to love this and it looked reasonable, scaled well. One of the best game engines I have seen with scalability in mind.

I would just die if they released a Homeworld 3 to play on my X2, GF8800 series and 42" HDTV. 1920x1080 is just gorgeous in some games, Titan Quest running flawlessly maxxed out at that resolution.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
This is one of my favorite games of all time. One of the few that really used the Z-axis as well.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Beautiful game. Series went downhill though - fun parts of the game got canned, presumably for balance reasons. The actual sequel 'streamlined' most of the depth from the game too.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: AdamK47
If you haven't played Homeworld then you're missing out on a truly great game. The game has everything that today?s games don't even dare attempt. It had innovative gameplay mechanics, unique artistic style, and unique musical score. It's not only very challenging, but rewarding at the same time. Here are some videos to help jog your memory:

Game Intro

End Game Credits

This game was fucken amazing at its time of release and still is. The story ALONE was just amazing. The music alone was spectacular for its time. Wow....

I have to say, this was by far the greatest strategy type game I ever played. CoH came very close.

I agree, Cataclysm and HW2 made a fine addition to the story....

I should re-install these bad boys, still got the original box and everything :)

danny~!

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Oh Em Eff Gee.

Homeworld. The forgotten classic.

I wonder if it runs on Vista?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Homeworld, fantastic game. :) Never actually beat the campaign though, the difficulty ramped up too fast after the first couple of levels. I ended up using a money cheat to get the story line and finish the game.

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Homeworld, fantastic game. :) Never actually beat the campaign though, the difficulty ramped up too fast after the first couple of levels. I ended up using a money cheat to get the story line and finish the game.

It wasn't too hard at all, if you used the pause function well. When things gets too hectic, tap the pause button and re-issue your orders.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
One of the first GENUINE real time strategy games I ever played. Made me realize what a joke Warcraft and C&C were.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
it is one of my favorite games of all time. Loved every aspect of the game. Played homeworld and cataclysm. Never played homeworld 2. Is that worth it? I dont care about the graphics, i'd play it just for the story alone. But imagine if they came out with a Homeword 3 with today's graphics and an equally good storyline...it would kick ass

Oct 25, 2006
Oh god. I LOVE HW.

HW 2 was an amazing RTS. I loved it. Even if the Difficulty went up exponentially after like, the third level.