The overclocking potential of a Haswell chip.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Im asking this question cuz it seems like 10 years were stuck on 4Ghz with Sandy and Ivy overclocks. I have never seen someone on Anand with a Ivy OC of 5Ghz.

My wonders are, with a smaller fab and enhancements, will the hexacore Haswell or even quad core be able to overclock to 5Ghz + at appropriate cpu voltage. gl

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
There are several members on here with 5ghz+ overclocks, with Ivy, and it was even more common with Sandy.

As for Haswell, your guess is as good as mine.

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
Im asking this question cuz it seems like 10 years were stuck on 4Ghz with Sandy and Ivy overclocks. I have never seen someone on Anand with a Ivy OC of 5Ghz.

My wonders are, with a smaller fab and enhancements, will the hexacore Haswell or even quad core be able to overclock to 5Ghz +

LN2.

hokies83

Oct 3, 2010
1.55v for 90 days now 24/7 never cut my comp off unless i need to reboot for something.

200+ hrs of gaming 30hrs of stress testing 20 hrs of benching and runs like a charm Ivy love the volts.

nforce4max

Oct 5, 2012
5ghz+ is common place for De lidded Ivy Bridge Chips.

Far from it, most of those that did were already pumping over 1.5v on their samples (doubt they will last anymore than a few months to maybe a year) and had to remove the ihs. Lucky me I bought some of the last tubes of that liquid metal alloy compound. :cool:

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Well for one Haswell will be produced on tweaked 22nm process node as intel learned quite a few things by now(on how to optimize it with IB series). On the other hand Haswell is touted as energy efficient chip with better perf./watt so this might mean it's not targeted for high frequency (one can say that 3.5Ghz/3.9Ghz stock IB is high frequency already). Also Haswell core will be more complex product than SB/IB core with added logic (new ISA extensions,more execution ports,more logic in IMC and other areas) so this in turn could mean a bit lower clocks initially.

But who knows,with intel's process superiority I wouldn't be surprised we see 3.6/4Ghz stock QC/8T Haswell next year.

nforce4max

Oct 5, 2012
Well for one Haswell will be produced on tweaked 22nm process node as intel learned quite a few things by now(on how to optimize it with IB series). On the other hand Haswell is touted as energy efficient chip with better perf./watt so this might mean it's not targeted for high frequency (one can say that 3.5Ghz/3.9Ghz stock IB is high frequency already). Also Haswell core will be more complex product than SB/IB core with added logic (new ISA extensions,more execution ports,more logic in IMC and other areas) so this in turn could mean a bit lower clocks initially.

But who knows,with intel's process superiority I wouldn't be surprised we see 3.6/4Ghz stock QC/8T Haswell next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up with only 3ghz clock only for them to advertise that the new platform is more efficient than anything before. I also expect it to be expensive than with 1156 and 1155 at least for a while. Overclocking wise I doubt that people will be hitting 5ghz with them as clocks might be more synchronized with other parts of the soc than people are used too so there might be not much overclocking at all especially if the ratios are locked or have limited dividers. There is likely to be K editions that are likely to be more flexible in some part but the whole soc will have to be taken into consideration.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up with only 3ghz clock only for them to advertise that the new platform is more efficient than anything before. I also expect it to be expensive than with 1156 and 1155 at least for a while. Overclocking wise I doubt that people will be hitting 5ghz with them as clocks might be more synchronized with other parts of the soc than people are used too so there might be not much overclocking at all especially if the ratios are locked or have limited dividers. There is likely to be K editions that are likely to be more flexible in some part but the whole soc will have to be taken into consideration.
Good points but I doubt 3Ghz will be top clock. According to intel's leaked documents, top Haswell should be 10-15% faster than top IB (3770K?) at the day it launches. This is average IPC jump+ average clock gain I suspect.So with zero clock gain the IPC may be up to ~15% on legacy code(non AVX2/FMA) which is in line with execution ports upgrades intel had done in Haswell core. So if it's at IB's clock level(~3.5Ghz stock with ~4Ghz Turbo) it should still be 10-15% faster than 3770K.

SammichPG

Aug 16, 2012
I just want cheap overclockable processors from haswell.

Their K series market segmentation pushed me away from them and amd sold an apu instead.

I guess that my old e2160@3.2ghz spoiled me. :)

nforce4max

Oct 5, 2012
I just want cheap overclockable processors from haswell.

Their K series market segmentation pushed me away from them and amd sold an apu instead.

I guess that my old e2160@3.2ghz spoiled me. :)

LoL I know how you feel, I got so much vintage stuff beginning with my DX-33 all the way up to my i5-760 all which have been easy overclocking.:thumbsup:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i just want Haswell chips to have a bigger die area so they dont heat up so quickly under OC like Ivy-Bridge chips do.

so basically i want Haswell to be Sandy-Bridge :p

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
i just want Haswell chips to have a bigger die area so they dont heat up so quickly under OC like Ivy-Bridge chips do.

The die size is fine, Intel cutting corners like they did with Ivy is whats sofa king lame.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
The die size is fine, Intel cutting corners like they did with Ivy is whats sofa king lame.

Except that Ivy still runs hotter than Sandy Bridge when mounted bare-die with liquid metal and at a lower voltage.

It's inherent.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i'm googling for a graph that shows Xtors/mm2 vs. max frequency. i bet i wont find one, but my guess is that for now, frequency and density increase but at a decreasing rate.
(i.e. the second derivative of frequency in regards to density is a negative function or negative constant, pardon my Maths)

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011

Well, since Haswell was designed for 22nm, I would expect the die-size to be larger (higher transistor budget), and then lower again for broadwell. This of course is ignoring any optimizations they do to increase transistor density.