** The Other Official Fallen Earth Thread **

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
You guys mentioning bugs... what bugs? No really, I'm curious because I haven't run into any personally, or perhaps I just haven't noticed them.

datalink - as far as questing goes, I go to an MMO for PvE, so the content is appreciated. I couldn't care less about getting every AP just to be "not gimped" when it comes to PvP, since you won't see me in PvP unless I have to be.

Powernick - Polish... heh. IMHO, Fallen Earth is one of the most polished MMO's I've seen in a long time. Can you give me examples of what's lacking polish? (Again, just for reference, since I've been enamored with this game since beta I may be a tad jaded)

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
You guys mentioning bugs... what bugs? No really, I'm curious because I haven't run into any personally, or perhaps I just haven't noticed them.

datalink - as far as questing goes, I go to an MMO for PvE, so the content is appreciated. I couldn't care less about getting every AP just to be "not gimped" when it comes to PvP, since you won't see me in PvP unless I have to be.

Powernick - Polish... heh. IMHO, Fallen Earth is one of the most polished MMO's I've seen in a long time. Can you give me examples of what's lacking polish? (Again, just for reference, since I've been enamored with this game since beta I may be a tad jaded)

No problem at all SunnyD.

I think I am the jaded one! It reminded me of SWG...thats true..and while I've been complaining that I miss SWG..I didn't miss the graphics..the character animations are worse than the Betheseda marionettes...the whole graphical style is akin to SWG when it was first released..sadly..it actually matters to me even though I thought it wouldn't.

So I'm questing..reading up on everything..drop my horse off somewhere...get pwned by some level 1 critters because of the wierd targetting system..then try to resummon my horse.. No go. (For realism I guess it works), but you can't..you have to go find it or find a stable..which when you are a newb exploring its nigh impossible. I spent a half hour looking around..gave up.

Probably in the end my fault but... also stat system is not terribly well explained..and with no respec system..you could F' yourself later for your newb mistakes.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

I think I am the jaded one! It reminded me of SWG...thats true..and while I've been complaining that I miss SWG..I didn't miss the graphics..the character animations are worse than the Betheseda marionettes...the whole graphical style is akin to SWG when it was first released..sadly..it actually matters to me even though I thought it wouldn't.

So I'm questing..reading up on everything..drop my horse off somewhere...get pwned by some level 1 critters because of the wierd targetting system..then try to resummon my horse.. No go. (For realism I guess it works), but you can't..you have to go find it or find a stable..which when you are a newb exploring its nigh impossible. I spent a half hour looking around..gave up.

Probably in the end my fault but... also stat system is not terribly well explained..and with no respec system..you could F' yourself later for your newb mistakes.

Cool! To be honest, the 1st item is exactly what I thought. If you read through my initial beta impressions, I felt the same way as far as the aesthetics of the game. After playing for about 10 hours or so, I remember it was about 10pm at night, and I was alone at home with the kids having gone to bed with all the lights out... I had stopped and stared at the screen for a minute with the ambient music in the background. It was then that it all hit me, I literally felt like I was in the middle of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, all alone, fighting for my very existence. The graphical styling was just perfect - ugly, ruined, low-tech - absolutely perfect for the theme. Don't get me wrong, I agree sometimes the game can get a little clunky and movements get herky-jerky, and I particularly love it when the NPC ragdoll physics get out of hand (occasionally shoot a mob and they go flying end over end). But all in all the art style is wonderful. It's not cartoony like WoW, and it's not hyper-realistic. It just fits in the middle IMHO.

As far as the quest/mount thing... yeah. It can be daunting, makes me glad there isn't more of a death penalty in a way. Your mount location always shows up on your compass and minimap though. It can be a little obscure if you're far enough away - the marker gets pushed as far to the edge of the compass as possible. But in a side note, the fact that you can simply go and explore on your way to somewhere is so nice. And stables/garages are always in or nearby (on the road into/out of) a town. You shouldn't have to go far to find one. :)

Anyhow, thanks for your insight - you sound just like I did when I first tried the beta, which was arguably far more buggy than it is now.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Yeah i had the same issue with the horse, got him stuck in an underground room, could not get him out...so i started a new character....and then i found out how to move it etc (there's even an icon on the minimap showing where he is) The help channel is a great resource , people actually respond to your questions. Also, coming from Aion it's nice to see they actually have GM's in this game. I'm enjoying the crafting/gathering portion, there's just so much to do in the game.

Feb 4, 2009
I keep thinking I should join this game I tried the trial and was ok with it, any places doing cool bonus material for it?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Which server are you guys playing on?

When I quit in November, there was only one server.

Anyone from Europe that complained about lag was shot on sight because there was no lag from Europe :)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Any reason why the atv? How scarce is gas?
Gas and horse feed are both purchasable and craftable. Hell, just about anything in the game is either scavengable or craftable. Feed is relatively cheap, gas is about 5x more expensive. However, with regards to the starting horse vs. ATV, the ATV has 2x the "stamina" (fuel) that the horse has, and I believe it has a better fuel efficiency as well (yes, all mounts have an "efficiency" rating of how far per unit of "stamina" they can go). 1 unit of fuel will fill up your mount regardless of the total amount of stamina it can hold.

Also, the ATV gives you I think 12 or 14 storage slots in it, versus the 2 that the nooby horse gives you. The ATV also has 550 hp versus the 100 the horse has, but that's a non-issue unless you like to go joyriding off cliffs a lot. There's only been one group of mobs I've encountered thus far that had any interest in killing my mount, and you can get repair kits as well.

Honestly, pick whatever you think will suit you the best. IMHO, the ATV is nice, but since you can craft or buy mounts in the game without too much trouble, it isn't terribly necessary.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Speed? I think it also eats through fuel faster than a horse...you can get fuel at any garage i believe
No. It's no faster than a horse. Horses do have the advantage that you can fire rifles/pistols off them. Fuel-wise, as I said, I'm pretty sure it has a higher fuel efficiency than the free nooby horse.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Well, I played it at launch so it's been a while so I can't be too specific.

One bug was I needed to go into an instanced building to fight a bad guy. But every time I went in there he wouldn't appear. I logged out of the game and logged back in and he finally appeared. But this happened with several quests.

Also, I completed a few quests and they wouldn't remove from the quest tracker.

But really what I wanted out of the game was good PvP and some cool exploring/crafting PvE. I wanted it so that if you died someone could steal all your stuff. But also the crafting to be really good so if you developed that you could just make all new stuff for yourself if you got killed and looted.

Also I wanted crafting to matter so everything would degrade as you used it and only good crafters could make good stuff. So even if you stole off of someone you would eventually lose the stuff you stole and not necessarily be able to replace it.

But then guilds could have those who developed fighting personnel and crafting personnel.

Honestly I probably would have stuck with it for a while longer if it wasn't for the AP issue. I joined partly for PvP so it was a bummer to be forced to go around doing all those quests when I really didn't want to. It made a supposedly wide opened world seem constricted to me which really killed the mood.

But like I said there were a lot of cool things about the game and I can see how you like it. Just wasn't what I was looking for. So I went back to LOTRO (which isn't what I described as looking for above but I get something different out of that and expect something different).

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Well, they are fixing the "crafting mattering" part. They're adding in damage condition bonuses to items, and limited repairability as well. But as it stands, there's nothing really stopping people from handling their own crafting.

I personally avoid death-penalty style games that you describe (EVE) simply from the standpoint that I didn't take a couple months to build up a character only to have all that gone with a random glitch/internet outage/wrong turn. Might as well have it so that when a player dies, they die for good. Of course that removes the need for the LifeNet backstory in the game completely. :)

I do agree though, questing for PvP is silly. IMHO, PvP and PvE never belong in the same game together.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
I personally avoid death-penalty style games that you describe (EVE) simply from the standpoint that I didn't take a couple months to build up a character only to have all that gone with a random glitch/internet outage/wrong turn. Might as well have it so that when a player dies, they die for good. Of course that removes the need for the LifeNet backstory in the game completely. :)

And that's precisely why I play Eve. Without a death penalty to level the playing field MMOs become a grind endurance contest. He who plays most wins. No skill necessary, just put in time.

I've lost a couple of ships to falling asleep at the keyboard and other such stupidity. Did it wipe out months of work? Oh hell no, because I never fly anything I'm not willing to lose. Currently it takes me about a week to produce a billion ISK (trading & manufacture), so even if I lose a marauder or other PvE pimpmobile stupidly it stings a bit but isn't fatal.

Without challenge I find MMOs pointless. Death penalties are one such challenge. Avoiding gankers is exciting. Ganking less situationaly aware players is exciting. Blobbing up to do raids until you get the uber drops and watching an XP bar expand, not so much.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Without challenge I find MMOs pointless. Death penalties are one such challenge. Avoiding gankers is exciting. Ganking less situationaly aware players is exciting. Blobbing up to do raids until you get the uber drops and watching an XP bar expand, not so much.
For me the challenge is the world, the story and the exploration. I don't raid, so it's a non-issue. The grind involved is simply a vehicle to facilitate that, and occupy some time along the way.

I play EVE from time to time. However it isn't a game that you can play casually and expect much. There is no story in EVE, just a game universe of more of the same. Some say sandbox, but there really is no real purpose to it other than to blow someone else up, or avoid being blown up yourself. The biggest failing at least for me - there's no where I can go to be alone and enjoy the world without always watching my back. For me, a game needs to be designed around PvE. EVE isn't a bad game, it's just not my cup of tea.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Please stand by, this may simply be a failed test at fixing something with the other thread. If not, all will be updated properly in a few minutes. :)

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
Started a 10 day free trial.... Im level 3 right now... I feel like I have no clue what I am doing in this game its rather...."hey figure it out yourself kind of play"...not that I have a problem with that. But should I only focus on like a couple of skills? Is AP hard to come by as you level higher? Do the weapons get more crazy and are the mutations way better later?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Started a 10 day free trial.... Im level 3 right now... I feel like I have no clue what I am doing in this game its rather...."hey figure it out yourself kind of play"...not that I have a problem with that. But should I only focus on like a couple of skills? Is AP hard to come by as you level higher? Do the weapons get more crazy and are the mutations way better later?

Isn't that the greatest part? It's like actually having a challenge in a game for once!

As far as the skills go, if I remember right they said with level AP, you should be able to max out (I believe, don't quote me on this) TWO stats and TWO skills total. Basically this normally works out to the primary and secondary stats to whatever offensive skill you choose, as well as whatever corresponding defensive skill goes with that offensive (for example, offensive: Rifles, it's defensive skill is Dodge, and the corresponding stats are I think Dexterity and Perception).

There are also missions that give AP as a reward, I think just for sector 1 there's upwards of 200+ AP worth of "free" mission AP as well. Pretty sure this lets you dabble in other stats/skills as well.

Personally, I'm not worried about PvP, so I'm building my character as I see fit. Just hit level 17 with around 350 AP I think, going Rifle/Pistol (max'd), also have Armor Use pretty high along with Dodge for defense. My stats are high dex, perception as well as having put points into intelligence for crafting. My crafting skill caps because of it are currently around 72, which lets me craft pretty much everything I need for my level currently.

There is a character planner at GlobalTech Atlas if you're into such things. There's also some guides and such. A lot of their info is incomplete (their database is missing TONS of stuff). They have maps and descriptions of most of the towns too. I've consulted it primarily for the ATV mission line to make sure I was going to the right towns. Gas is expensive enough in the game to make you want to plan out your steps, even despite at this point me having plenty of disposable chips (never know when I'm going to need em).

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Here's a decent starter guide i found on their forums...

http://forums.fallenearth.com/fallenearth/showthread.php?t=27821

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
For some strange reason i can not get access to that thread...
Also, on the stats/skills panel in-game, there's a pulldown menu at the top right that you can choose "suggested builds" from. All it is is a guide, it doesn't actually set any AP for you. You ultimately make the decision of where to assign your skill points. But what it does do is take the primary and secondary traits for whatever build you're thinking about, and mark on each appropriate stat a tick where they "recommend" you should allocate your points for that stat. Kinda handy.

Again, the pulldown does not assign any AP for you, it just shows you the recommended stats and skills for that particular build.