The Oscar Nominations 2007 are in.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
The Academy can suck it!

I luckily have the opportunity here in DC to view all sorts of NEW foreign films...made by no-name directors with no-name actors...all of which speak more beautifully about the human condition than 95% of the crap that Hollywood puts out. It is so refreshing to see non-Hollywood-industrial-machine movies!

I mean, take a recent foreign film that many people here know about: Downfall (Der Untergang). Bruno Ganz' portrayal of Hitler is what made that movie. And why was he not nominated for an Oscar? Because the Academy is nothing but a club of stuck-up, snobby, rich Americans who have no taste and who are too full of themselves to consider real works of art from elsewhere.

Not exactly a recent movie, it's been on DVD for quite some time now. And Ganz's performance is second-rate compared to Whitaker's. (yes, I loved his performance in that movie :p) Ganz did a good job, yes, but I felt that he could have given more depth to the role...granted, I saw it a while back.

edit: if you look at the year it was nom'ed for the Oscars, the winner of foreign film's star, Javier Bardem, deserved to win an acting Oscar more than Ganz did, even...the man had more expression than 80% of today's actors, and he was immobile, laying in bed the entire movie :p

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
useless catagory to win an oscar in

Achievement in makeup
?Apocalypto? (Buena Vista) Aldo Signoretti and Vittorio Sodano
?Click? (Sony Pictures Releasing) Kazuhiro Tsuji and Bill Corso
?Pan?s Labyrinth? (Picturehouse) David Marti and Montse Ribe

a ton of man hours, creativity, and money is put into makeup. I'm surprised Pirates didn't get nominated, as the makeup on the crew of davey jones' ship was great. But I think Apopcalypto should win out this one. They used insane prostetics to make those scars, large piercings, earlobes..etc. Looked really authentic.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think O'Toole is going to get his Oscar finally, either life time achievement or best actor. Long overdue.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The only one I saw from the best actor catagory is Blood Diamond.
Leo did a flat-out great job. I was suprised.
He's come a long way as an actor since Titanic.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
useless catagory to win an oscar in

Achievement in makeup
?Apocalypto? (Buena Vista) Aldo Signoretti and Vittorio Sodano
?Click? (Sony Pictures Releasing) Kazuhiro Tsuji and Bill Corso
?Pan?s Labyrinth? (Picturehouse) David Marti and Montse Ribe

:confused:

A lot of time, effort and skill goes into what those people do.