The origin of the F word...

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
In ancient England, people could not have sex without consent from the King.

When people wanted to have a child, they had to solicit a permission to the monarchy, in turn they would supply a plaque to hang on their door when they had sexual relations.

The plaque read ? "Fornication Under Consent of the King" (F.U.C.K.).

This is the origin of the word.

P.S- if this is a repost, you can go "Fornication Under Consent of the King" yourself. :p

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
Here's another one:

During historic civil wars, when troops returned without any casualties, a writing was put up so all can see which read
"0 Killed".

From here we get the expression "O.K." which means all is good.

Dualist

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2005
I thought that word existed before the Civil War period. Guess that was wrong.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: narcotic
Here's another one:

During historic civil wars, when troops returned without any casualties, a writing was put up so all can see which read
"0 Killed".

Straight Dope

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Middle finger:

Some say it derived from the English Longbowmen. When they went to war with the French, the french were so afraid of them they cut off their middle fingers so they could no longer pluck their bows.

So one battle with the English outnumbered 100:1 by the French , the longbowmen at seige held off the french and won. They raised their middle fingers at the retreating french.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. A few hundred years ago someone's horse stepped on Chuck Norris' foot and right before Chuck knocked the horse out and disemboweled the rider he coined the f-bomb.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: narcotic
Here's another one:

"0 Killed".

Straight Dope

Which is funny because i posted a thread about the origin of the word "O.K." here and i think i used the same link :eek: