The Order of Mail Accounts on Mac

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I cannot believe that, in this day and age, one cannot manually sort their e-mail accounts, after they have been entered, in any order they want on the Mac.

I know you can re-order the Accounts in the Mailboxes Pane, and even the Inboxes in the InBox list. However, when I right-click on an e-mail to file it, and select "Move To," the Accounts show up in the list in the order they were entered, and there does not seem to be anything you can do about re-ordering besides re-entering all your accounts (which, because of the number of accounts I have, is an unattractive option, so please do not suggest that).

The old trick of un-enabling and reenabling the accounts, which what not elegant, but worked, no longer works.

Maybe I am just missing something obvious, or my Google-Fu has, once again, failed me.

PLEASE embarrass me and show me the stupid simple way I am missing.

MotionMan

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I might be misunderstanding you, but on my iMac (mojave 10.14.2), the listing order for the "move to" option corresponds to the order in the inbox. So, if you reorder the inbox accounts, the move to order changes automatically changes to match.

-KeithP

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I might be misunderstanding you, but on my iMac (mojave 10.14.2), the listing order for the "move to" option corresponds to the order in the inbox. So, if you reorder the inbox accounts, the move to order changes automatically changes to match.

-KeithP

The move to option is not the same as my inbox order (which I moved to the right order manually after entering all of my accounts).

Try reordering your inboxes and see if the move to options change accordingly.

MotionMan

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I only have two accounts, that being said… when I right click on an email and select the "Move to" option from the pop up menu, the list that comes up shows my inbox at the top, and the order of the accounts listed under inbox in that pop up menu is the same order under the mailboxes panel. If I change the order in the mailboxes panel, the order in the pop up menu changes as well.

I have attached a couple of screen caps for reference. Using the latest version of Mojave (10.14.2) and mail on 2017 iMac 5K.

-KeithP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 8.26.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 8.26.18 AM.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 8.25.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 8.25.59 AM.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 7

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I only have two accounts, that being said… when I right click on an email and select the "Move to" option from the pop up menu, the list that comes up shows my inbox at the top, and the order of the accounts listed under inbox in that pop up menu is the same order under the mailboxes panel. If I change the order in the mailboxes panel, the order in the pop up menu changes as well.

I have attached a couple of screen caps for reference. Using the latest version of Mojave (10.14.2) and mail on 2017 iMac 5K.

-KeithP

I am not talking about re-ordering the inboxes in the move to menu (which does work for me) - I'm talking about reordering the ACCOUNTS in the move to menu.

You only have one account in your move to menu, so you would not see what I am talking about.

And for those who do not think it is a big deal, I have 10 accounts and OCD, so it matters to me.

MotionMan

Last edited: