The only thing Super about Super Glue is how weak it is.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I have a 3 square inch plastic surface which needs to bind to another one. I put a proper amount of glue on last night, kept them bound together until today, and the binding was only strong enough for about one pound of pull, and then it broke. Is Krazy Glue any better? Cause this stuff is crap.

BiB

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Used some crazy glue on an 80 mm fan blade a couple of months ago and it is still holding today. The glue I got was from radio shack and I think it was called instant bonding adhesive. I've got to learn to keep my paws out of those fan blades.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I had a bowling ball case on which the handle broke. Two drops of super glue and it lasted a few more years. It depends on the type of plastic that you are gluing and how clean the parts are.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Well in the end I ended up melting two plastic pen-tops, one for each side. It seems to be holding well, not pretty but it works!

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
It also depends on how smooth the plastic is. Really smooth plastics usually reqiure an epoxy.

Chelm

Oct 11, 1999
I don't think super-glue is made for supporting weight like that, its super because it bonds so quickly and you don't have to bind it over night. Try epoxy like everyone has suggested, you'll need to let it set at least overnight, but its much stronger.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Yeah I think I went too much by the name, epoxy would have been the shiznit :)

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
did ya hear of the crazy wife who super glued her hubby's umm u know what...together. heh

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Cyanoacrolate (CA, or super glue) requires a *lack* of oxygen to create a bond. If air can get to toe glue, it likely won't bond properly. Also, your best bet would be to go to a hobby store and get medium or thick CA (Zap is a good brand) This stuff can support much more than 1 lb. if applied properly. The surfaces must be clean, as any grease (even fingerprints) can cause serious problems such as those you describe. Also, while at the hobby store, ask if they have any "kicker" or accellerant. It helps the glue dry much faster, reducing many headaches :)

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
More or less it was the plastic you were using. It was either dirty, or it might have been weak anyways due to UV radiation.