The older i get, the more i like the taste of food

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Also as you get older:
340019457_176714271921207_2102939451466235517_n.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Also as you get older:
340019457_176714271921207_2102939451466235517_n.jpg
As a kid my idea of a terrific store to roam around in and check out the merchandise was a toy store.

When full grown it became a sporting goods store.

After a few decades of full physical maturity it became a hardware store (I own a house that was built in 1910, had "issues" when I bought it and has issues still! )!

Costco? I've been a member since the last century. Most of the stuff in there isn't for me. Usually, I go every other week. I seldom roam around the place checking things out. 90+% of the time I bring a printed report with the things I want TODAY (more often than not, just untaxed food including produce), grab them, go straight to checkout. A hardware store I could could easily roam around in for an hour or two and not get too bored.

Reactions: Pohemi

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I think the older I get, the more I miss my parents cooking. Both parents cooked different things well, but I absolutely cannot replicate it. And my parents don't measure crap so everything's eyeballing. Just never comes out the same. But I def do like trying new things.
I hear ya. Both sets of my Grandparents were from extremely different backgrounds, my mothers parents were Puerto Rican and German, and my fathers parents were Ukrainian and Indonesian. All 4 were fantastic cooks! One day it would be Stuffed cabbage and the next is would me beef curry, and the other would be rice and black beans with kielbasa!

Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
thestrangebrew1 said:
I think the older I get, the more I miss my parents cooking. Both parents cooked different things well, but I absolutely cannot replicate it. And my parents don't measure crap so everything's eyeballing. Just never comes out the same. But I def do like trying new things.
- - - -
My parents were not good cooks. My father didn't (except everyone helped with Sunday brunch) and my mother didn't enjoy cooking which guarantees not good cooking.

Even before leaving their nest I had to figure out how to cook for myself if I wanted to enjoy my food.

After leaving, I approached cooking the way I approached chemistry lab: Follow the directions with precision.

I'm not so fastidious now unless it's a recipe that calls for it, and I have some, some of which I have developed myself. In order to get superb results with some recipes, precision is required.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My company's main tech guy, has high blood pressure and a waist that just keeps on increasing. Yesterday, he was complaining about his zipper not closing easily. I've told him several times. Cut back on your eating. Skipping a meal or eating something light for dinner isn't going to destroy you or harm you permanently. Few weeks back, his blood pressure shot to 220 on eating pizza from Pizza Hut. His excuse is that high blood pressure runs in his family.

It's not possible to help these people if they refuse to help themselves. Yesterday, my pants were feeling pretty tight. Last night, I jogged in place for several minutes until my feet started to ache a bit. I also did a fair number of squats at least three different times. Today, I was surprised to see that I could hook my pants much more easily. So the exercise may not have burned off a lot of calories during the act of doing it but it revved up my metabolism enough to force it to go into overdrive, burning more calories than usual even during my sleep.

Exercise not only burns calories that would otherwise be stored as fat or converted straight to sugar, it also helps "keep things moving" if you follow me which IMO is one of the best things you can possibly do for your overall health.

I decided to ditch the tortilla and just eat my taco from a bowl, since the tortilla was mostly there to hold everything together.

Better yet have it over the top of a spinach salad IN said bowl! ;)

Taco-night absolutely can be a healthy meal! :D

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Eating most food is basically mainlining white powder of some kind(flour or sugar)....which then leads to fattening....

Even I have cracked these past few weeks and HAVEN'T stopped eatting OVER 75g of carbohydrates a day....despite all my knowledge telling me to not do so...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Eating most food is basically mainlining white powder of some kind(flour or sugar)....which then leads to fattening....

Even I have cracked these past few weeks and HAVEN'T stopped eatting OVER 75g of carbohydrates a day....despite all my knowledge telling me to not do so...

And you wonder why I/other members ignore your dietary/health advice! ;)

All I'll add here is maybe most of the food that YOU eat!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I never encourage people to eat carbohydrates like well...captured regulatory authorities.

Now, allow me to dine on some Papa John's brownies(I'm still sub 130, but I'm taking time off my life;)).

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The older I get, the more I hate everything.
Except for peace and quiet.
I've gotten more and more irritable over noise and disturbances from neighbors as time goes on.

As far as food goes, I was a lot more courageous and brave in my younger years, especially my 20s. Now I mostly stick to what I know.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

He has a weird metabolism, I think it's genetic. I think he's way outside the norm. What he eats or professes at least for himself should have no bearing on what anyone here chooses for themselves. That's not a knock on him, it's just my reaction from having read some of his posts about his food trips.

I also don't have the impression that he's giving "dietary/health advice." Usually he's just stating his thinking on dietary subjects, often at length, not professing what others should do.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Might want to read back into the old posting history more carefully there pardner. (we're talking loads of utter nonsense)

;)

Reactions: nakedfrog

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Might want to read back into the old posting history more carefully there pardner. (we're talking loads of utter nonsense)

;)
I don't read all of that stuff. I also don't normally avail myself of anyone's posting history.

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

;)
I ate
3 pizzas slices(2 one meat w/o cheese and 1 cheese)
2 small clementines
1 container udon noodle
3 brownie squares
2 Japanese sweet potatoes.
(The reasons pizzas are in the house is because mom dumpster dives for them)
I would not call that food for health but it's sweet and starchy. The visceral preference for DELICIOUS WHITE POWDERS(glucose sources) at work, for the most part.
;)