The old-style Steam flash sales may be returning

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
https://twitter.com/ValveNewsNetwor/status/1025215264164597762
No idea how reliable this guy is, but flash sales may be returning to Steam. How they'll handle refunds should be interesting if they do return.

The post:
Tyler McVicker @ValveNewsNetwor

I've just been informed that @steam_games Flash Sales are returning, with a twist. Devs can chose for the sales to last 6, 8, 10 or 12 hours, shaking up sales almost every hour, and making sales feel more like an event again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjpLjxbUcAAFfye.jpg

Reactions: OCNewbie

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If we get better deals out of it, seems like a win. If we're just going to get the sales we've been getting but for a very limited time, then this is no good.

I just add games I'm interested in to my wish list and anytime they go on sale I get a notification from the steam app. I can just grab my phone and buy if the price is right.

I confess I have no issues waiting for a game and the "no pressure" sales that steam has now with the "rotating titles" front page manages to squeeze some dollars out of me regardless.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I don't see how that would work with the refund system and doubt it would be possible to do them again.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
The only way I could see it working with the current refund rules is if the games on flash sale are not part of the regular sale so you would have to catch them during that one moment. I am pro flash sale but I do not like that option.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue with returns. Is it that people can potentially make money returning a game after the sale ends for full price?

If people return a game they bought on flash sale, surely steam knows that they paid flash sale prices and refunds the appropriate sum.

Otherwise what's the issue?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue with returns. Is it that people can potentially make money returning a game after the sale ends for full price?

If people return a game they bought on flash sale, surely steam knows that they paid flash sale prices and refunds the appropriate sum.

Otherwise what's the issue?
It's about upsetting your customers by placing a game a person just bought on sale.

Steams refund system that was forced on them because of various legal issues prevents that now as people would refund the game and rebuy it for the sale price and cause a lot of work on steams end because of it if they were ever brought back and it's not something they really can do easily now.

Plus you see a lot of complaints if such short sale times were in place because of people missing them.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist
Feb 4, 2009
I don't see how that would work with the refund system and doubt it would be possible to do them again.

Just handle it like any brick and mortar retailer. Customer buys at $20, within the return period it goes on a flash sale for $10, customer fills out refund info within the flash sale period. Customer gets $10 refund.
I know they’ll be some whiners but whatever.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Just handle it like any brick and mortar retailer. Customer buys at $20, within the return period it goes on a flash sale for $10, customer fills out refund info within the flash sale period. Customer gets $10 refund.
I know they’ll be some whiners but whatever.
The problem is refunds can take multiple days to process as it is and this will only make things take longer and if such short sales happen it will not happen in time unless steam updates it's refund system heavily.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
So what was on sale for 75% off will now be 50% off except for 6-12 hour flash sales at 75% off during a steam sale. The flash sales have never left, they just moved to the " midweek maddness" weekday/weekend deals.