**The Official X360 RRoD Thread**

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Welcome to the RRoD thread!
This is the offical RRoD X360 thread here in the ATCF and is a work in progress. But thanks to Google I've begun to complied some information from several other forums/websites to help us decipher and troubleshoot what your X360 error codes (A.K.A "red rings"). This thread will be a compilation of input from the forum goers to help everyone out and determine what might be going on with ones ailing X360. Again, this thread is a work in progress so if you have something to contribute, shoot me an PM or post the correction/addition here.

Getting started - Obtaining the Error Code
There is a error code that will flash once ou hold down the white "Synch" button (located near the memory slots on your console) and the DVD Eject button together. Doing this will illuminate the light rings and each time you press the eject button you will cycle to the next number code until all 4 are displayed. The light flashing codes are:

Four flashing quadrants = 0
One flashing quadrant = 1
Two flashing quadrants = 2
Three flashing quadrants = 3

Example
You power on your faulty 360 and wait for the 3 red lights to appear. Once that has happened, you hold down both the "Synch" and eject buttons until all four lights begin to flash thus representing a 0 (Zero). Now you press the eject button once more to cycle on to the next error code number and you see 1 (one) light. You press the eject button again and all four lights light up (0). Finally, you press one last time and 2 (two) lights appear. Your error code is 0102.

Code Chart (work in progress):
0001 - Power supply problem
0002 - Power supply problem
0003 - (unkown)
0010 - Overheating
0011 - Overheating
0012 - Overheating
0013 - Overheating
0020 - (unkown)
0021 - (unkown)
0022 - GPU Error/GPU Overheating
0101 - (unkown)
0102 - Console unknown error, literally. The console does not know what is wrong.
0110 - Memory Error/Memory Overheating
1003 - Hard Drive Error
1010 - Hard Drive Error
1013 - (unkown)
1020 - (unkown)
1022 - AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. (could also be a problem with the encoder chip)
1030 - (unkown)

=============================
Flashing Quadrants
1, 2, 3, and 4

Possible Cause
The AV cable cannot be detected

Things To Try
Make sure that the AV cable is correctly connected to the Xbox 360 console.
Disconnect the AV cable from the Xbox 360 console, and then reconnect the AV cable to the Xbox 360 console.
If the four flashing red lights continue to flash, try wiping the metal area of the AV pack with a dry cloth. The metal area is the end that plugs into the console. Wipe the metal area thoroughly, and then try the AV Pack again.
If the AV cable is correctly connected but the four red lights are still flashing, substitute a different AV cable if you have one available.

Flashing Quadrants
1, 3, and 4

Possible Cause
General Hardware Failure

Things To Try
Try restarting the console. If restarting the console does not resolve the behavior, follow these steps:
- Turn the console off.
- Unplug all the power and AV cables from the console.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall socket.
- Firmly reconnect all the cables.
- Turn on the console.
- Not resolved? Turn the console off & remove the HDD.
- Turn on the console. If the 3x Red LED error is no longer displayed then turn the console off. Now re-attach the HDD and turn on the console.

Also examine the lights on the power supply. When you turn on the console, the power supply light should illuminate green even if the three lights on the RoL flash red.

Flashing Quadrants
1 and 3

Possible Cause
Overheating

Things To Try
Let the Xbox 360 console cool down. You may have to wait several hours for the console to cool down enough to clear the error. Verify that the console has sufficient ventilation and that the fans are operating.

PREVENTION SUGGESTIONS
To try to prevent this problem, use the following precautions:

Do not block any ventilation openings on the Xbox 360 console.
Do not put the Xbox 360 console on a bed, on a sofa, or on any other soft surface that may block ventilation openings.
Do not put the Xbox 360 console in a confined space, such as a bookcase, a rack, or a stereo cabinet, unless the space is well-ventilated.
Do not put the Xbox 360 console near any heat source, such as a radiator, a heat register, a stove, or an amplifier.

DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR CONSOLE IN THE FREEZER OR OUT IN COLD WEATHER
Some people think that doing this might help "fix" an overheating console, in fact doing so could cause even bigger problems. Electronic devices like your console are made to function at and around room temperature, extreme cold temperatures can often cause just as many problems as extreme warm temperatures (such as overheating). Also if the console is located in a dramatically cold area while running, the difference in temperature between the hot console and cold air can create condensation which in turn will short out your console making the situation far worse. Condensation will happen more quickly if your console is overheating due to the greater difference in temperature. In short... DON'T DO IT.

Flashing Quadrants

Possible Cause
Hardware Failure

The Specific Type of hardware failure can be determined by the error code displayed on the screen, but if the screen is blank or you would like additional information follow the instructions for determining the secondary error code in the section below

E64: (not yet known)

E65: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc.

E67: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E68: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it, This can also be caused by a Hard Drive Eprom Error.

E69: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E71: (not yet known)

E73: (not yet known)

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. (could also be a problem with the encoder chip)

E76: (not yet known)

E79: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

Self Repair - Past Warranty Options
Please proceed with caution here and use your brain! If you machine is currently still within its warrantly period--just send ot off to Microsoft to be fixed. But if you're seeking other avenues, Xbox-scene.com has a couple tutorials for anyone who is feeling ambitious enough to attempt to fix RRoD issues themselves. Performing these actions will void the warranty. But this could be extremely useful for someone who has a 360 that is out of warranty

- x-clamp fix (apparently very successful)
- artic silver replacement

More information to come and good luck! :beer:

Thanks to the following contributors:
fanerman91

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
nice thread, you should copy/paste this into the FAQ at the top of the forum.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: The Green Bean
I fixed mine by applying AS5; 8 months and working as good as gold.

Can you expand on this a little more so that people might have more information to go on?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: fanerman91
xbox-scene has a couple tutorials for fixing RRoD issues. They void the warranty. But they may be useful for people who have (will soon have) run out of the 3 year warranty or have voided their warranty for other reasons.

x-clamp fix (apparently very successful)

artic silver replacement

Proceed with caution! I'd just take advantage of the warranty (assuming you still can).

Cool thanks. I've added the information to the OP.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I may try the xclamp on one of my 360s. It still has 2 yrs on the RROD but when I took off my panels on the box the MS sticker was not full on and I havent pushed the sticker down yet. Apparently when I sent it to be fixed last year the tech didnt fully stick on the sticker. So I can mess around a bit and still have a fully intact sticker.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Good job. I've been getting the 4th quadrant and E68 ever since I got mine back in January last year. It doesn't happen too often, but I never knew why it was happening. I tried to figure out what it was back then but couldn't find any info on it. Nobody knew what E68 was, so I just gave up. Now I know it's my HD. I always thought it was the HD but couldn't prove it. It doesn't happen often enough to really bother me.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
My 360 just RRoDed and I didn't want to make a new thread. I was playing a game and then it crashed. I turned it off and turned it back on and RRoDed. Then I turned it on and it didn't RRoD. What should I do? Should I just keep playing it until it RRoDs and then send it in?

What are people getting back these days? Jaspers? My 360 is a Falcon and about 2 years old.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
My 360 just RRoDed and I didn't want to make a new thread. I was playing a game and then it crashed. I turned it off and turned it back on and RRoDed. Then I turned it on and it didn't RRoD. What should I do? Should I just keep playing it until it RRoDs and then send it in?

What are people getting back these days? Jaspers? My 360 is a Falcon and about 2 years old.

My brother's did that recently. It RROD again the next time he tried to play it, so just do that.

I haven't heard of people getting anything back that wouldn't match their powersupply they already had. Which means I don't think you'll be getting a Jasper if you have a Falcon, as they still can give you a refurb of the Falcon. I'm not sure though.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
When my 360 got the RROD, I tried the x-clamp fix. This was back when they hadn't extended the warranties. While everything was open, after doing the fix, everything worked fine. When I put it all back together, it wouldn't even power up anymore. Irritated at all that work and having it just not work at all, I threw it away. I've never put that much effort into fixing a product that died after just one year. I haven't missed it either.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Quick question for RRoD... when sending it back to Microsoft, there's no packing slip right? It's just the shipping label?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
We've started repairing Xbox 360's at my work and have been successfull on all of them so far. We replace the x-clamps with the bolt through system and use artic silver 5 as well.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
My 360 was hit with a surge and RR on me BUT it worked after I shut it down. I returned it when the extended warranty was 75% used up and got a new one. The second one had a really really loud fan so I replaced it the next day. The third one is fine.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i had a very strange rrod i fixed this weekend. it had secondary error code e08.

i did the normal xclamp fix via llama.com method, and when i turned it on to overheat it the rrod was gone. i still let it overheat though.

then after that i turned it on and it didnt rrod, but it would freeze as i navigate in the dash. i then turned it off then back on and didnt move in the dash, and it didnt freeze.

i plugged in a controller, and again, after i moved a few times it would freeze or turn black screen, and few times it even started flashing red, green, blue, etc. i tried w/wired and wireless controllers.

so i then put a game in and let it just stay in game but not use any controls. gears of war and burnout paradise were both fine, but once i started messing with the controller, again, it jacked up.

i then tried heat gunning the ANA and Southbridge chip for a long time, and since this was a 360 given to me i didnt really care if it broke.

after doing that, i played a few games and all seemed to be fine lol.

been playing mw2 and sf4 a bunch yesterday and didnt get one lockup.

/me knocks on wood.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
I finally got my 360 back from Microsoft. Sent it out on November 14th. Took nearly 4 weeks to get back. Oh well. They at least gave me a 1 month XBL gold card. I'll be keeping the packaging just in case I need to send it again.

ZeroCypher

Jul 10, 2010
Hi guys,

Not sure how old this thread is but thought i'd try and see if any of you can offer up any suggestions.

I bought a preowned XBox 360 which lasted about 2 years then I got a problem where the system powered up and gave all the sounds that it was working, but would not give any image other than a load of 'stars' bouncing across the scene. Although there was no particular 'red ring' error warning, after checking about on the net for a bit I found that this could be fixed with the same repair as the RROD. I carried out this repair about 18 month ago and all has been working fine up until 3 nights ago, when I got 3 red lights in quadrants 1, 3 and 4.

Acting on this, I have stripped the console down again, thoroughly cleaning any compound from the GPU, CPU and coolers, and reapplied a fresh dose of thermal compound, overheating for about half an hour but this has not rectified the problem. When firing the console up, it seems to fire up in the normal manner, kicking in the fans and then I hear a loud grind from the DVD drive as you would expect, but no other noise.

Does anybody know if a failed DVD drive would give 3 red lights, or would the system still fire up but not allow reading from disks? The reason I think it is the DVD drive is because I have always had an issue where the DVD drawer sticks on ejection (DVD drawer still ejecting now, but takes some 'coaxing', however the fault occured when I was playing a game, reading from the DVD drive.

Any suggestions welcome as I know I can replace the DVD drive in the machine, but don't particularly want to pay the £30 for the DVD drive just to find this wouldn't have caused the 3 red lights in the first place and won't be at fault.

Cheers

Zero

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
dvd drive failing will not give you 3 red lights ever.

your original issue sounds like the same exact issue i had which i posted above last year. and on a bad note, that 360 is now doing the same thing - not RRoD'ing but it will boot up and just freeze or lose the screen when it feels like it. because of that i just went and bought a new 360, didnt wanna deal w/the hassle.

i've also seen this dvd issue you are talking about where it would get 'stuck' when pressing eject. the only way to fix it was to smack the front of the 360 and it would pop open. i tried fixing it by opening the dvd tray and putting some tape inside of it and that seems to not work every time. i'm not sure the exact name of the fix i did but if you google you can find it out.