The Official PS4 Thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The Starbound devs have been doing this for awhile now via Twitch.tv.

It's a great idea. I know some developers love feedback from fans too.

I don't understand that? If you don't Facebook or YouTube, don't sign in to your accounts for that.

I think it was mentioned that it was optional. You can personalize your experience.

The game looks really good, but some of the animations looked a bit off (guy walking down stairs comes to mind) but I realize it's probably far from finalized code.

Last edited:

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
most of the rumors for 720 have all said they plan 8gb which is awesome. the thing i think ms might mess up on is the gpu power. for too long the cpu has taken center stage while in gaming the gpu should be and the one in the ps4 is looking good

8GB GDDR5 (PS4) != rumored 8GB DDR3 (Xbox 720).

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Agree or disagree?

9VwkMou.jpg

It might not seem so stupid if he didn't post if from Twitter :rolleyes:

Graze

Nov 27, 2012
So, how can they use a x86CPU with 8gb of RAM? I understand a x86 CPU can use 8gb of RAM (the 4gb limit was always software based on the PC end), but why didn't they go with a 64bit CPU? If this console is to last another 8 years, I'm a bit confused about them choosing a x86 CPU instead of x64? or am i reading this wrong?

What vendor makes a 32 bit X86 processor for anything but use in a blender :rolleyes:
They just used x86 to generalise on the processor architecture and gave no in dept details.
For anyone to think this is a 32bit processor is just face palm worthy.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
I'm guessing its an x86-64 processor

well i found this which confirms it:

"The PS4 system architecture is distinguished by its high performance and ease of development. PS4 is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art graphics processor."

so yep, 8 cores that are x86-64bit.:) the only problem is its 8GB of shared RAM (between CPU & GPU), so its not 8GB system RAM and say, 2GB of GPU RAM. but with its unified architecture it might not matter as much... we'll just hafta wait and see!

The games they showed so far all look as good as BF3 on Ultra settings on the PC (which is gorgeous), so if that's the baseline for graphics heading into the future it's definitely awesome!

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Honestly, the most exciting feature for me is the suspend/resume functionality. I love that they thought about that and figured out a way to get rid of system boot up and leaving the console on with a game on pause.

I wasn't really even considering adding a PS4 to my gaming collection, but based on the little I've seen now, I'm definitely interested. Price and final features will determine if I get all the way to purchase. That and the upcoming xbox.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Um, yes, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I was expecting at the least a release date.

Having a firm release date for a product that won't ship for 9 months is a sure fire way to make people angry when you announce an inevitable slip of said release date. It is impossible, IMPOSSIBLE, to know the release date this far out, especially when I doubt the console has started full production yet.

If they told us a release date today, I know they would be lying.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
well i found this which confirms it:

"The PS4 system architecture is distinguished by its high performance and ease of development. PS4 is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art graphics processor."

so yep, 8 cores that are x86-64bit.:) the only problem is its 8GB of shared RAM (between CPU & GPU), so its not 8GB system RAM and say, 2GB of GPU RAM. but with its unified architecture it might not matter as much... we'll just hafta wait and see!

The games they showed so far all look as good as BF3 on Ultra settings on the PC (which is gorgeous), so if that's the baseline for graphics heading into the future it's definitely awesome!

Unified is better for the developers. Let's them allocate the memory as they see fit. PS3 ran into lots of texture memory issues since it could only use 256MB for VRAM out of the 512. I used to be a level designer and part of my job was memory management and streaming levels. PS3 was a f***ing nightmare. Whenever something worked on 360 you'd fire it up on PS3 and run out of memory. Also, the PS3 dev tools sucked balls. Microsoft's were about ten thousand times better. Hopefully Sony is fixing this as well.

Last edited:

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Unified is better for the developers. Let's them allocate the memory as they see fit. PS3 ran into lots of texture memory issues since it could only use 256MB for VRAM out of the 512. I used to be a level designer and part of my job was memory management and streaming levels. PS3 was a f***ing nightmare. Whenever something worked on 360 you'd fire it up on PS3 and run out of memory.

At this point, I'd also think it's too late for Microsoft to just say "Ok, we're switching to GDDR5 from DDR3" without also blowing their budget.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
At this point, I'd also think it's too late for Microsoft to just say "Ok, we're switching to GDDR5 from DDR3" without also blowing their budget.

I think they plan to undercut the PS4 price anyway, but if it ends up making the games run or look worse as a result, it could backfire down the road.

It might not seem so stupid if he didn't post if from Twitter :rolleyes:

I think it would still stupid. As they said in the presentation, the days of you playing a game and then turning it off to go about your life is over. You have connectivity everywhere and they want to utilize some of that connectivity to bring gaming outside the living room while keeping the PS4 the centerpiece of it all. Games are social now. It is acceptable to tell people you play games. We aren't nerds or loners living in a basement anymore. It's something almost everyone does.

Last edited:

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Honestly, the most exciting feature for me is the suspend/resume functionality. I love that they thought about that and figured out a way to get rid of system boot up and leaving the console on with a game on pause.

I wasn't really even considering adding a PS4 to my gaming collection, but based on the little I've seen now, I'm definitely interested. Price and final features will determine if I get all the way to purchase. That and the upcoming xbox.

I saw something like $429 for the cheaper model and $500+ for the other. Hopefully it's not that high, but we'll see. I also hope Microsoft shoots for $399 or better. I don't expect prices like we currently have because they're pretty much at this level because the consoles have been out so long.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I saw something like $429 for the cheaper model and $500+ for the other. Hopefully it's not that high, but we'll see. I also hope Microsoft shoots for $399 or better. I don't expect prices like we currently have because they're pretty much at this level because the consoles have been out so long.

That's the going rumor. No official announcement yet but either way I think I'll be in. I just need a few details like whether I can play PS3 games or if I need to keep my PS3 (I bet it will play PS3 game downloads only or something like that), and what titles will be available at launch.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's the going rumor. No official announcement yet but either way I think I'll be in. I just need a few details like whether I can play PS3 games or if I need to keep my PS3 (I bet it will play PS3 game downloads only or something like that), and what titles will be available at launch.

Actually they confirmed NO PS3 backward compatibility. The PS3 stuff they talked about was cloud gaming.

Cell architecture is just massively uncompatible with this. They'd need to include a Cell chip in every console. Hello price bump. That's part of the reason the PS3 launched at $599 (PS2 chip inside early models).

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

What would separate the two models and be worth $100 in cost? Unless you go the 360 route and charge insane amounts for hard drive upgrades, I don't see the two model system being well received.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What would separate the two models and be worth $100 in cost? Unless you go the 360 route and charge insane amounts for hard drive upgrades, I don't see the two model system being well received.

Hard drive sizes will be one of the differentiating factors. I just hope they keep it like PS3 where you can use any 2.5in hard drive. Maybe some extra accessories will be the other difference, along with a bundled game and different color console perhaps. All just guesses.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005

I just hope they look at their PS3 launch and the WiiU launch, and say "that doesn't work." Pick one model and go with it. Less confusion, less headaches for everyone. Make it simple for the customer to just say "I want a PS4" at the store. Done.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
PlayStation 4 tech specs revealed: AMD 'Jaguar' CPU, faster Blu-ray, 720p 3D camera http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4...s-revealed-amd-jaguar-cpu-faster-blu-ray-720p

We still have absolutely no idea what the PlayStation 4 looks like, but we're getting a better picture of what's within: Sony's just released a list of tech specs for the console. Confirming months of rumors, the PS4 will primarily have AMD silicon inside, in the form of a "single-chip custom processor" with eight AMD Jaguar CPU cores, and a next-gen Radeon graphics engine capable of 1.84 teraflops of performance.

Here's the full spec sheet:

Single-chip custom processor, with eight x86-64 AMD Jaguar CPU cores and 1.84 TFLOPS next-gen AMD Radeon based graphics engine
8GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in hard drive
6x Blu-Ray and 8x DVD drive
USB 3.0 and auxiliary ports
Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.1
HDMI, analog AV-out, and optical S/PDIF audio output
DualShock 4 controller, with two-point capacitive touchpad, three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer, vibration, light bar with three color LEDs, mono speaker, micro USB port, stereo headset port, extension port, 1000mAh battery
PlayStation 4 Eye camera, with two 1280 x 800 cameras, f/2.0 fixed focus lenses, 85-degree field of view, 30cm minimum focusing distance, four-channel microphone array

At launch, critics slammed Sony for charging upwards of $500 for the PS3, arguing that it had too many features. HDMI, Wi-Fi and optical audio didn't come standard on the Xbox 360 at launch, but they all proved important over the years. Meanwhile, the fast XDR memory of the PlayStation 3 came in handy, but there was far too little at 256MB. Here, Sony's seeking to maintain the speed with GDDR5, but ups the capacity to a generous 8GB. Similarly, gamers ended up appreciating the PS3's built-in hard drive when they started downloading games or installing them, but the first-generation 2x Blu-ray drive made that a painfully slow process.

The Microsoft Kinect took the world by storm at its debut, and not just because of the 3D depth camera: the always-on microphone array allowed a Kinect-equipped Xbox 360 to recognize voice commands. Now, with the PlayStation 4 Eye, Sony will have both motion tracking and voice recognition hardware at its disposal, but also higher resolution and a much larger field of view. While the Kinect can only fit two people in its sweet spot, and has difficulty tracking them at times, the PlayStation 4 Eye could do more... theoretically, anyhow.

Last but not least, there's that custom AMD processor to discuss, and here's where we need to be extremely careful about jumping to conclusions: with a custom design, there's no telling exactly how powerful the processor might be, or how much developers might get out of it. Still, we can draw a few parallels: we actually saw a quad-core Jaguar processor at CES, inside AMD's Temash reference design. Contrary to what you might believe, Jaguar actually isn't a beefy CPU; AMD's selling the tiny cores in chips designed for low-end laptops and tablets. And yet, with floating-point performance of 1.84 teraflops and a next-gen Radeon architecture, the GPU will likely have more power than a 1.76 teraflop AMD Radeon HD 7850, a mid-range graphics card for gaming computers.

Last edited:

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I don't give a rats ass about the social stuff. I like single player campaigns, by myself. SC2 is good multi for me.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Questions for anyone that's been following this stuff: are the specs pretty much what was rumored? How do they look compared to the 'rumored' xbox specs?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Questions for anyone that's been following this stuff: are the specs pretty much what was rumored? How do they look compared to the 'rumored' xbox specs?

Leaks have pretty much been spot on. The days of anything being secret are long gone.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
A radeon 7850 is about 1.7 tflops IIRC.

OF course direct comparison is not much use but those specs look pretty decent.

Pity they don't give more CPU information. "8 cores" means little.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

2x RAM as previously "reliably" rumored. PS4 has same amount but faster RAM than 720. PS4 will have approx 50% more GPU/compute power than 720.

Basically, if you read between the lines, the PS4 will likely heavily be favored for multiplatform titles in terms of which looks the "prettiest". And it's not like the supposed hardware advantage the PS3 had over the 360, it's just faster clocks and more functional GPU units. I don't expect any developers to say "OMG programming for the PS4 is SO HARD".

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
A little side note, AMD being at the heart of these next gen consoles is going to save them from being killed by Nvidia and is probably the reason why Nvidia created their Project Shield.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
2x RAM as previously "reliably" rumored. PS4 has same amount but faster RAM than 720. PS4 will have approx 50% more GPU/compute power than 720.

Basically, if you read between the lines, the PS4 will likely heavily be favored for multiplatform titles in terms of which looks the "prettiest". And it's not like the supposed hardware advantage the PS3 had over the 360, it's just faster clocks and more functional GPU units. I don't expect any developers to say "OMG programming for the PS4 is SO HARD".
It's x86, I would hope it's not hard. The compilers are second to none and the architecture is extremely well understood. Plus these guys get to stay in long mode, so they avoid all the only real ugliness in x86, which are the old instructions and operating modes.