The Official MTG Thread - All MTG stuff in here

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Are you saying there is no free press in the US?
No, there really isn't. At least not total freedom of the press. We are lead to believe there is, but it's only what our government wants us to hear. Let me give you an example. On tik tok there is a state legislator who is telling the truth about the tik tok ban. It has nothing to do with national security, data mining, or protecting the US citizens. It has to do with money, government control, and protecting big corporations.

Why don't we hear that stuff on US based Media? All we get to hear is all the stuff that keeps us divided, which is by design.

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I dont like pointing out the obvious cause to me it’s testimony that were not really having a dialogue rather two monologues.
I brought up the Beau piece cause it was a nuanced take that had some of both of our positions.
I didnt, guess I still dont, know how easily obtainable these mass data dumps are and of what quality. It seem though its a bigger problem than I realized. I do not agree with Beau’s take that with a couple more steps they could do a similar influence operation via facebook as they could via tiktok. The data dumps are static. Via your own platform you get data realtime PLUS you control the algorithm.
- Realtime high resolution data
- Controlling the algorithm
- Plug in multiple AI’s
You remember how it was disclosed that Russia was organizing blm and anti-blm protest at the same time up to the 2016 election?
No I dont see the benefit of having an adversary plug in with a supercharged social media platform and abuse the internal mechanics of the democratic principles.

Yea other companies could in principle do the same except for the fact they’re not Chinese or Russian, are subject to domestic regulatory measures, revision and can be shut down with a court order. Fined. Whistleblowers. All kinds of checks and balances. Tiktok? Not so much.
Us companies are doing the same thing. You are sitting here arguing I favor of the tik tok band all based off of what our government has programmed you to believe. Why are you not questioning our government's motives?

Everything you keep saying about Tik Tok is already happening with US companies, it's not that they could do it. They are doing it. Your bring up Russia and the 2016 elections. How did they do that when tik tok wasn't available yet? It's like you are oblivious of what's been going on long before tik tok was even a thing.
Your whole argument is what the government is telling you. Again, without an ounce of supporting hard evidence.

You keep bringing up the algorithm and who controls it. Again China doesn't own it, or control it. There are even US based articles that gives examples that support that not being true.

The checks and balances you claim are there are all controlled by our government and large corporations. The exact same entities who are going after tik tok.

Do you not even understand the laws governing all businesses operating in the US? It doesn't matter if they are us based or foreign based, they all have to abide by the same laws to operate in the US. What that means is Tik Tok can also be shut down by a court order in the US. Tik Tok has all the same checks and balances as any other business operating in the US, except the US government can't dictate or rather censor what is on their platform.

It still baffles me that you have argued about tik tok, but silent about all the Chinese companies and investments in the US, who are in every area of our economy, and more of a threat to this country, all with our government approval.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No, there really isn't. At least not total freedom of the press. We are lead to believe there is, but it's only what our government wants us to hear. Let me give you an example. On tik tok there is a state legislator who is telling the truth about the tik tok ban. It has nothing to do with national security, data mining, or protecting the US citizens. It has to do with money, government control, and protecting big corporations.

Why don't we hear that stuff on US based Media? All we get to hear is all the stuff that keeps us divided, which is by design.
Then we’re not really playing the same game.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Came here for crazy horse lady updates, went away disappointed and wondering if I should get LG for my new dishwasher.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Us companies are doing the same thing. You are sitting here arguing I favor of the tik tok band all based off of what our government has programmed you to believe. Why are you not questioning our government's motives?

Everything you keep saying about Tik Tok is already happening with US companies, it's not that they could do it. They are doing it. Your bring up Russia and the 2016 elections. How did they do that when tik tok wasn't available yet? It's like you are oblivious of what's been going on long before tik tok was even a thing.
Your whole argument is what the government is telling you. Again, without an ounce of supporting hard evidence.

You keep bringing up the algorithm and who controls it. Again China doesn't own it, or control it. There are even US based articles that gives examples that support that not being true.

The checks and balances you claim are there are all controlled by our government and large corporations. The exact same entities who are going after tik tok.

Do you not even understand the laws governing all businesses operating in the US? It doesn't matter if they are us based or foreign based, they all have to abide by the same laws to operate in the US. What that means is Tik Tok can also be shut down by a court order in the US. Tik Tok has all the same checks and balances as any other business operating in the US, except the US government can't dictate or rather censor what is on their platform.

It still baffles me that you have argued about tik tok, but silent about all the Chinese companies and investments in the US, who are in every area of our economy, and more of a threat to this country, all with our government approval.
1. Yes US companies already has the capability. US. In your own backyard. Knock knock. Who is there? Law-enforcement with all the guns. Motive: Capitalism vs State interests. I assume this is why they want it sold to a US company.

2. 2016. Yes. It was proven to be a viable vector. Sharpen the sword? What dude?

3. I assume China controls the algorithm the millisecond they want to. Non debatable fact to my mind.

4. All the other Chinese stuff. Yea thats a problem too for countries potentially heading into battle over Taiwan. The biggest problem by far is the coherency of the US democracy. I firmly believe Russia buttfucked you 2016 not least via social media.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Why do you trust that “legislator” on tiktok over anyone else? And just cause Reuters is not reporting on it doesnt mean that someone was on a phonecall “suppress this story”. Maybe the story doesnt meet journalistic standards, non verifiable, maybe its just standard corporate lobbying in which case I think you should get on coal and oil and citizen united stat. I wholeheartedly agree that money plays a waaaaaay to big a picture in US politics but its standard MO at this point. I’d love for you to rip it out.
But you DO have a functioning democracy, the fact that you got Trump means your vote is counted.
Listen if someone were able to convince me that I didnt have a free press and my democracy was a sham I’d be joining a militia right now. It would mean there had been a silent coup and I didnt even notice it.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
China and it's mouthpieces are going to have a real tough time persuading me Tik Tok is pure and innocent when China (that paragon of free speech) bans it.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
On tik tok there is a state legislator who is telling the truth about the tik tok ban. It has nothing to do with national security, data mining, or protecting the US citizens. It has to do with money, government control, and protecting big corporations.

There is a lot of stuff that comes out about OUR government and large corporations, that is censored and/or removed on US based social media, on many different topics.

He is telling "his" truth which apparently is also "your" truth, but that does not in any way make it "the" truth. There is, however, a conspiracy theory thread https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...at-no-one-agrees-with-without-regrets.2616938 for "those" truths.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Actually yes. There is a lot of stuff that comes out about OUR government and large corporations, that is censored and/or removed on US based social media, on many different topics. What we see on US media is generally what what the government and large corporations wants us to hear.

People talk about th pressure the US government can and does put on US companies, not realizing the extent of that pressure that is directed at preventing the US population from finding things out about our government and large corporations, that they do not want us to know.

This topic is a good example. Why do you think the government wants Tik Tok sold to a US company or banned? So they have the ability to silence those they don't want heard. It has nothing to do with national security, protecting our privacy, data mining. Just about any topic can be used as an example: immigration, politics, economy, energy, inflation, oil/gas, legislation.. you name it. What we get from US companies is what they want us to hear, which is full of half truths and manipulation of facts a lot of the time.

People talk a out mis/dis information. Our government is the largest producer of such.
This is not a particularly substantive post, just sort of...
"The US government is the real oppressor, Tik Tok is the actual bastion of free speech and not in any way controlled by the state!"
giphy.gif

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
"The US government is the real oppressor, Tik Tok is the actual bastion of free speech and not in any way controlled by the state!"
giphy.gif
Yea, like, only on TikTok can the actual truth shine through.... cause it's not controlled by the US government. Ehm. Ok.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
@NWRMidnight but I think I get it dude, you have some feeds on your TikTok that you'd hate to see disappear from your life. Totally understandable. It's not a biggie though, when Twitter went tits up, the people I followed went to Threads and other places. It's still good. Shit changes and we adapt.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
@NWRMidnight but I think I get it dude, you have some feeds on your TikTok that you'd hate to see disappear from your life. Totally understandable. It's not a biggie though, when Twitter went tits up, the people I followed went to Threads and other places. It's still good. Shit changes and we adapt.

How is threads now and can it be used on a desktop?

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
No, you don't get it.. It's way deeper than just losing a few feeds. You are a sheep just following the US government around waiting to be feed.
giphy.gif
Go get on tik tok, learn some things. then get back to us. Because that is the only way you will get the full picture. Keep in mind, what shows up on your feeds is all based on your searches.. so if you see something that you don't like.. look internally because your actions put it there. Oh wait, you think tik tok takes over your devices.. (not factual) Maybe you would be interested to know that the author of the Tik Tok bill bought $1 million shares of Meta end of March beginning of April. Just a small, but kind of important detail that highlights just one of the motives of our government and it's officials, that we have not seen on US based media.. why do you think that is? Why is it that you can say something, or google something and almost immedialy you start getting ads in facebook for what you just said/searched? Yet, that doesn't happen with tik tok.. go figure.. It amazes me, how so out of touch people are with reality.

Again there is no evidence that they are being controlled by the state (china). There is evidence of the opposite actually. Step back and think for a minute.. how often do we find out that our government has lied to us.. usually after it's to late? Pretty often.. Yet, you somehow can't fathum that they would control our media. Anyhow,m Keep being the sheep, see where it leads you.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
No, you don't get it.. It's way deeper than just losing a few feeds. You are a sheep just following the US government around waiting to be feed.

Go get on tik tok, learn some things. then get back to us. Because that is the only way you will get the full picture. Keep in mind, what shows up on your feeds is all based on your searches.. so if you see something that you don't like.. look internally because your actions put it there. Oh wait, you think tik tok takes over your devices.. (not factual) Maybe you would be interested to know that the author of the Tik Tok bill bought $1 million shares of Meta end of March beginning of April. Just a small, but kind of important detail that highlights just one of the motives of our government and it's officials, that we have not seen on US based media.. why do you think that is? Why is it that you can say something, or google something and almost immedialy you start getting ads in facebook for what you just said/searched? Yet, that doesn't happen with tik tok.. go figure.. It amazes me, how so out of touch people are with reality.

Again there is no evidence that they are being controlled by the state (china). There is evidence of the opposite actually. Step back and think for a minute.. how often do we find out that our government has lied to us.. usually after it's to late? Pretty often.. Yet, you somehow can't fathum that they would control our media. Anyhow,m Keep being the sheep, see where it leads you.
multiple things can be simultaneously true.

tiktok can be subject to pressure from CCP (it is owned by bytedance), and data from US users could be used (and very likely is) to influence people, which is a national security risk. edit: china would be stupid NOT to harvest and use information from tiktok for intelligence purposes.
tiktok can have information the US government doesn't "like" because it opposes US Government foreign policy
members of congress can legally trade on insider information

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
multiple things can be simultaneously true.

tiktok can be subject to pressure from CCP (it is owned by bytedance), and data from US users could be used (and very likely is) to influence people, which is a national security risk. edit: china would be stupid NOT to harvest and use information from tiktok for intelligence purposes.
tiktok can have information the US government doesn't "like" because it opposes US Government foreign policy
members of congress can legally trade on insider information
You mean the same data, and more they are already buying from US based companies?

Heck, we have Chinese financial institutes giving out mortgages. Your mortgage company knows more about you than anyone, including your spouse. The disconnect that you guys have is baffling.

Anything that China can get from tik tok they already have access to, and has been long before tik tok.

Edit: anyhow I am done carrying on about this. Time will tell what happens.

Last edited: