The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
For a chocolate bar, it might be 'processed crap', but I still like the little-known U-NO bar from a small company near me. They also make the nostalgia bar "Abba-Zabba", and perhaps the worst bar I know, "Big Hunk", as well as what I guess might be their biggest seller, Rocky Road.

20131010-u-no-bar-innards-thumb-610x354-358003.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Reese's Peanut Butter Lovers:

They have a Chocolate Lover's version (more chocolate, haven't tried it yet) & a Peanut Butter Lover's version (this is the one I tried). It was...okay. Reese's makes a jar of peanut butter & it tastes like you're eating a spoonful of that, dipped in chocolate. The OG Reese's cup is where it's at for me...it has just the right balance of PB vs. chocolate. The only exception is the mini cups filled with Reese's Pieces. Those are pretty dope & I would say in my top 10 candies list.

View attachment 21179

Tried the Chocolate Lover's version today. Waaaaaaaaay better! They have the same amount of chocolate-y-ness that the mini ones do. A+ would buy again.

Tried the Reese's Sticks. They kind of taste like Nutty Buddies, only smaller & softer. Meh. Nutty Buddies are waaaaay better!

Also tried the mega Pieces-stuffed Reese's cups. Meh. It's just like eating a bar of softness. Not too excited. I will say that the Mini Reese's Pieces-stuffed Cups are one of my top favorite candies ever tho!

reeeeeeee.jpg

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm deciding what to put on popcorn, currently using butter, say 'amish contry popcorn buttery topping' on Amazon. It's made of oils, have to think it's bad for you. But was considering. Overnight they change the price from 22.99 to 24.99. One more bad thing Amazon does. Hell, same thing happened on the popcorn popper I'm using.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm deciding what to put on popcorn, currently using butter, say 'amish contry popcorn buttery topping' on Amazon. It's made of oils, have to think it's bad for you. But was considering. Overnight they change the price from 22.99 to 24.99. One more bad thing Amazon does. Hell, same thing happened on the popcorn popper I'm using.

Why not just microwave some butter?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Quick-shot reviews:

McDonald's triple cheeseburger:
under four bucks. The pickles are always too chewy so I skip them. Not a fan of their ketchup (prefer Heinz), but am too lazy to bring my own bottle with me. Pretty good for a quick shot of protein. Macros are 32g protein, 35g carbs, 28g fat. I don't know if these are fresh-grilled like the quarter-pounders, but it's decent for a quick hit.

Taco Bell grilled cheese burrito: decent. It starts out really good & then morphs into just OK. I miss the Power menu burrito with 2x steak tho.

McDonald's frozen Minute Made pink lemonade: it's OK. Not bad. Nice on a cold day, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it like I do with Chick-fil-a's frozen lemonades (and their frozen limeade, oh man!).

Taco Bell frozen pineapple & pineapple whip: Tried both. Meh. Plus their ice machine gives me a brain freeze. Every single one of their frozen drinks gives me a brain freeze. Would be curious to know the science behind the ice ratio

Premier Protein crunch nut bars: Meh. Sort of like a protein Kind Bar. But Kind Bars are better.

Arby's Root Beer float: I don't know how it's possible to screw up a root beer float, but this was pathetic. I didn't even finish mine. Just sad.

Arby's Sweet Potato Waffle fries: Pretty good! Tastes like food from the fair. They are a lot thinner than Chick-fil-a's waffle fries. The only thing they're missing is a maple dipping sauce. They would be really good with that!

Gatorade Zero: This is actually pretty good. Regular gatorade gives me acid reflux, dunno why. And I'm not a fan of the Powerade flavors. But Gatorade Zero is pretty decent! I sometimes get a very mild headache from just drinking water all day long, so the extra salt & flavoring in this drink helps even that out. I'm not a big fan of fake sugars, but the flavor doesn't bother me (unlike stevia) & it doesn't taste like flavored water (which to me tastes like how it feels when you eat Skittles & then drink water after, bleh). Like, the grape flavor reminds me a bit of an Otter Pop, but isn't an in-your-face sweetness, just something to take the edge off. I like this product, they did a good job on it.

Polar Diet Half & Half: My MIL got me hooked on Fresca. Normally I hate anything grapefruit-related, but a cold Fresca hits the spot for me. Polar's version is the same idea, but sweeter, which is more up my alley. Again, not a big fan of the fake sugars in diet sodas, but this one doesn't have a funky aftertaste & lets me conserve my carbs for dessert & whatnot.

Polar Diet Orange Dry: Because the half & half was so good, I gave this one a shot, and it's pretty decent! I'm on the hypoglycemic side, so taking a big hit of OJ in the morning doesn't always end well for me; this is kind of a combination of orange juice, Tang, and carbonation. Sweet enough to be good, but also light enough to go with breakfast. Basically that's the excuse I give myself to drink soda in the morning hahaha.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I tried the "new recipe" remix of Hazelnut M&M's. Somehow, inexplicably, they made them worse. I can't quite explain the taste...it's sort of like how sugary store-brand cake icing is. They didn't nail the Nutella flavor in the first iteration & they made it worse with the updated recipe. I don't want to throw them away but I don't know what to do with them, since the M&M size is pretty large. Maybe bake them into blondies? I dunno.

I'd like to see a straight-up legitimate Nutella flavor. And also a crunchy Ferro Rocher variation!

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Haribo Watermelon gummies

AWESOME. These are now in my Top 10 Gummies. I don't know why, but I got strangely into gummies last year (non-THC, I just like sugar lol). These watermelon versions (with the rind & all, not particularly appetizing to look at, but a surprising depth of flavor!) have a good chew & great flavor. I was surprised because Haribos are usually pretty mediocre, but these are really tasty! Will definitely add these to my regular snack pack rotation:

gummy.JPG

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I found a site, goldbelly.com, that looks like a pretty remarkable resources, selling food items from 'classic' places all around the US. The issue is high prices. E.g., Stan's in Los Angeles is famous for their doughnuts; $60 for 12. But hard to find items you love from just that one place in New Orleans or somewhere else, you can possibly get from them.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Reese's Meta Review:

I think I've tried every Reese's PB cup product on the market at this point. My rankings for the best Reese's peanut butter cups are:

1. Original. Full-sized, 2-pack or 4-pack. These are magic.
2. Mini cups filled with Reese's Pieces. These are stellar.
3. Peanut Butter Lover's. Pretty dang good.

Everything else is meh. Crunchy bars, crispy bars, tiny ones, thin ones, big thick ones, etc. The OG version captures the magic that makes a Reese's a Reese's. The mini cups build on that in a smaller size with the crunchy Pieces, but oddly enough I don't like the full-size cups with the Pieces in them, it throws the ratio off. I thought they thins would be great (because the Oreo Things are fantastic), but nope. Also not a fan of the new chocolate lover's version. So that's my lineup above: OG, minis with Pieces, and PB lover's.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So it's not often that a company is able to come up with a new candy bar, because at this point nearly every ingredient on earth has been discovered & nearly every flavor combination has been discovered (sounds dismal, but it's not - there are well over a million recipes available worldwide & even if you did 6 unique meals a day for the rest of your life, you could only achieve about 1/4 of that), but Kinder managed to make a new one that is super freakin' awesome. Well, technically it was made in the early 80's according to Wikipedia & only recently mass-marketed in the United States, BUT STILL!

Kinder Bueno bar:

* Chocolate-coated
* Crispy, thin wafer structure
* Hazelnut filling
* Very light to eat
* VERY delicious

The closest thing I could compare it to is a Ferrero Rocher, but it's like a light & airy very & without the harder crunch. It's in the same vein as say Nutella but more like a distant cousin, as it's a light, air crispy bar with a slight crunch & not so much in-your-face chocolate-hazelnut. The wafer is very light, much more so than a Kit-Kat, with just the right amount of snap. It's almost like eating air because you can go through a bar so quickly. If you want a quick & easy pick-me-up, it's great! It's like the opposite of a thick, chewy Snickers bar; you could easily kill a 4-pack of these bars within minutes if you aren't paying attention (totally not speaking from experience, or anything...).

10/10, this is a great bar, would recommend

1597355186948.png

Reactions: lxskllr

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I found a site, goldbelly.com, that looks like a pretty remarkable resources, selling food items from 'classic' places all around the US. The issue is high prices. E.g., Stan's in Los Angeles is famous for their doughnuts; $60 for 12. But hard to find items you love from just that one place in New Orleans or somewhere else, you can possibly get from them.

I've seen that advertised a lot online, seems like it would be fun to do for a birthday or something. I just wonder how well things would hold up to shipping, quality-wise...stuff like donuts are kind of meh the next day usually.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh man, I've never heard of Rax. That looks awesome (except for Exterous' semen deposit, of course)