The OC

CybDude

Aug 8, 2002
First of all, I want to kick whoever came up with the idea for this show (assuming they portray Orange County, CA as they have in the commercials). I personally live in Newport Beach, Orange County; the exact city they have chosen for the show. It is very much unlike what they have shown. Believe it or not we really don?t mess people up on the beach, as show in the commercial, followed by spitting, ?This is how we do it in Orange County?. Even the city Newport Beach itself is incredibly diverse and does not merely consist of rich white kids. Take for example Newport Harbor High School (which I currently attend), white kids make up 72% of the population followed by the Latinos who consist of 23%. I was able to withstand the movie Orange County seeing as it was a comedy and didn?t negatively shade the members of my community in an extreme manner. To top it off, they?re not even filming it here, but in Malibu. And in case you didn?t know, no one here calls it ?The OC?.

Figures provided by:
http://api.cde.ca.gov/api2002base/2002Base_sch.asp?SchCode=3035045&DistCode=66597&AllCds=30665973035045
Fox Link:
http://www.fox.com/oc/

Thank You,
-CybDude

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
yeah, i lived in garbage grove... i was upset at the movie orange county... this is worse...

Pilsnerpete

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2002
They should've called it "The Crazy OC" and made it a documentary about how to overclock a PC.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
It is hollywood's idea of entertainment. No one should ever confuse what Hollywood considers to be entertaining with reality.

lukatmyshu

Aug 22, 2001
You should all go see "Better Luck Tomorrow" ... real life stories about Orange County. I'm from Fullerton, LOVE Orange County and honestly don't care how anyone portrays it on television.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
they seriously need to drop the "the" from the title. calling it "the oc" is the same as calling los angeles "the la" or new york "the ny."

i've heard of better luck tomorrow, but i missed it while it was in theaters. i'll try to catch it when it comes to dvd

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
hey dude, at least they're trying to do something "cool" with your city : P

try living in ohio and being the butt of every state joke.

iotone

Dec 1, 2000
haha i can't even believe that show...

i heard the people who made/thought of that show don't even live in orange county...

too many damn stereotypes about orange county... but, living in Irvine for the past 4 years (for school), i can see some of where the stereotypes come from (at least in Irvine)

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
That show was ridiculous. I live in newport also. What a horrible stereotype they must have of us :(

SuepaFly

Jun 3, 2001
The show itself isn't bad, if such a place existed. And yeah, thats definitely Malibu. They should have just made it Malibu, but then again its been done before.

And is it just be or does that main guy look like he could be 18 or 36 (depending on the shot)?

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
Who says the OC anyways? I've never heard anyone call it "the" before, and I was born and raised here.

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
it's because you socal people say "the 880" for a freeway...haha

norcal people just say "880"...

:D i'm just kidding, i have no idea why they called it "the OC", i just thought about how you guys add "the" before saying the freeway and played on that...

djplayx714

Feb 20, 2003
i live in garbage grove too and i was wondering, where are all the asians and latinos? i think this is just another shot at a beverly hills 90210 fad.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why does anyone care what a TV show says? People are morons if they believe a TV show to be reality.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why does anyone care what a TV show says? People are morons if they believe a TV show to be reality.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium

You have a bit of bottled-up hostility, dontcha?

;)