The North Carolina Legislature

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
. . . Vigorously promoting fact-denying ignorance through legislation!

When North Carolina got bad news about what its coast could look like thanks to climate change, it chose to ignore it.

In 2012, the state now in the path of Hurricane Florence reacted to a prediction by its Coastal Resources Commission that sea levels could rise by 39in over the next century by passing a law that banned policies based on such forecasts.

The legislation drew ridicule, including a mocking segment by comedian Stephen Colbert, who said: “If your science gives you a result you don’t like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved.”

I hear they've got some interesting weather about to hit. Goddamn libruhls are no doubt to blame.
7G3zITG.png

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
"General Assembly passed a law requiring that projected rates of sea level rise be calculated on historical trends and not include accelerated rates of increase".
Suddenly it doesn't seem so absurd.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
To be clear, we are talking about sea level rise being above what they projected. We are talking inches which is nothing when storm surge comes in from a hurricane and is in feet. Their low projections are dumb, but, in net for this storm its not a huge impact right now.

The larger issue is simply their denial of climate change.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
To be clear, we are talking about sea level rise being above what they projected. We are talking inches which is nothing when storm surge comes in from a hurricane and is in feet. Their low projections are dumb, but, in net for this storm its not a huge impact right now.

The larger issue is simply their denial of climate change.

how are inches nothing, when the increasing intensity and frequency of these storms is observably real? The impact of the surges stem from the average increase in sea level. AFAIK, these relationships don't scale linearly.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
how are inches nothing, when the increasing intensity and frequency of these storms is observably real? The impact of the surges stem from the average increase in sea level. AFAIK, these relationships don't scale linearly.

Because a rise in sea level is not really driving this hurricane. Denying climate change will mean they are not ready for more hurricanes, but, hurricanes hitting them is not something totally new. Saying sea level rise will be less is stupid, but, its not what drives current weather. Talking about climate change and the broad effects it will have to me seems more relevant.

People are going to associate sea level rise with causing hurricanes. More ocean surface area will contribute, but, that is a much smaller focus vs what is happening in total.

Jan 25, 2011
Because a rise in sea level is not really driving this hurricane. Denying climate change will mean they are not ready for more hurricanes, but, hurricanes hitting them is not something totally new. Saying sea level rise will be less is stupid, but, its not what drives current weather. Talking about climate change and the broad effects it will have to me seems more relevant.

People are going to associate sea level rise with causing hurricanes. More ocean surface area will contribute, but, that is a much smaller focus vs what is happening in total.
No one is saying sea levels cause hurricanes. They are saying a rise in sea levels increases the amount of people/property/infrastructure that is exposed to risk in the event of a storm surge.

Storms of the same strength, or even lesser strength, will cause more damage if not addressed.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No one is saying sea levels cause hurricanes. They are saying a rise in sea levels increases the amount of people/property/infrastructure that is exposed to risk in the event of a storm surge.

Storms of the same strength, or even lesser strength, will cause more damage if not addressed.

I disagree I guess. The OP said "I hear they've got some interesting weather about to hit. Goddamn libruhls are no doubt to blame." If we are talking about the weather and who is to blame, and then linking to how they are denying the science about the sea level, then he looks to be connecting the two.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
"General Assembly passed a law requiring that projected rates of sea level rise be calculated on historical trends and not include accelerated rates of increase".

I mean if 10,000 people died of overdoses historically and in the last 5 years it's been 100,000 it would be absurd to look at recent events. Right?

Jan 25, 2011
I disagree I guess. The OP said "I hear they've got some interesting weather about to hit. Goddamn libruhls are no doubt to blame." If we are talking about the weather and who is to blame, and then linking to how they are denying the science about the sea level, then he looks to be connecting the two.
Maybe they are talking about blame for all the damage that will occur by failing to address the increased risk of storm surges due to higher sea levels? Is that possible? I mean, everyone else here seems to understand it that way. Except you that is. So are we all misunderstanding or is it possibly you?

Reactions: ivwshane

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Maybe they are talking about blame for all the damage that will occur by failing to address the increased risk of storm surges due to higher sea levels? Is that possible? I mean, everyone else here seems to understand it that way. Except you that is. So are we all misunderstanding or is it possibly you?

Its possible I am misunderstanding sure. That is why I started out with "to be clear" leaving the option open that I might be misunderstanding but that I wanted to see.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That isn't the argument. I stated that higher sea levels result in greater impacts from a Hurricane, not that they cause them.

Maybe it wasn't that clear: the second sentence. :D

Then its a good think that I did not start this thread in response to you eh? Maybe that was not clear, as my post did not quote you in any way.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

The reason why GOP is wrong repeatedly when it comes to its polices. Faith over facts.

Thanks for bringing your idiocy to the forefront and being honest about it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Ignoring new data is not scientific.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006

I think this article is trying to relate two things that are not related. The 2012 decision is more about climate change and an increase in sea levels over 100 years which if you want to be objective, is a really high number. This ruling may have been to protect existing residents from having to deal with insurance policy changes, building codes etc... to protect/prepare from the 39 inch increase in sea levels.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

It's as absurd as you are.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think this article is trying to relate two things that are not related. The 2012 decision is more about climate change and an increase in sea levels over 100 years which if you want to be objective, is a really high number. This ruling may have been to protect existing residents from having to deal with insurance policy changes, building codes etc... to protect/prepare from the 39 inch increase in sea levels.

I think you may misunderstand the article. It was not about updating codes to somehow comply with 100 years of sea level rise in the future, it was saying that the government was prohibited from considering the fact that sea levels are rising much faster now than they were 100 years ago when making regulations.

This is utterly insane and just total denial of reality. If sea levels are rising twice as fast today as they were 100 years ago there is no sane reason why the government should not be allowed to incorporate that knowledge into their decision making.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Me: "Hey this guy just bought a gun, and took out a two page ad in the paper saying he's going to shoot you tomorrow at 8am as you're getting out of your car; you may want to talk to the police or something"
You: "I can only act on expired data and historical trends and evidence about shootings. I've never been shot at before so nothing to do or worry about"

Tomorrow comes and you get shot. Doesn't seem absurd at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie