The next BIG MMO?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Enough SC stuff....enough.....

Here's mine
Conan Exiles, don't know much about it other than survival, building and semi mmo stuff. Plus funcom which makes me say it will be a disappointment
Of Kings and Men, mount & blade like combat and building, just not a massive world but big enough

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
mount and blade 2 will be amazing. I will probably get my fill of pointy poke poke from that.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Pantheon is being made in the same vein of the original Everquest, with forced grouping, etc. If you prefer the solo MMO style like WoW then it's not for you, but if you like group-oriented playing, you may want to check it out.

Everquest is still my favorite experience in a MMORPG, but it was more a right time, right thing then it being a "great game", as it was flawed as hell, but fun. I cant see a FORCED group game working in none asian countries (FF is group based is it not?). I just don't think enough people have the time it takes to work that out like we did 10+ years ago. Attention spans are blink and you missed them nowadays (run an pug instance, not done in 30 seconds you are a noob and group will fall apart). I keep saying it, we all want that first great MMORPG feeling we had on our first loved one (EQ for me) but it wont happen again, just cant. That's not saying something great can come out, AoC is pretty good now that's its been worked on and everybody left it (or it was a year or so ago), and a few other forgotten ones are not to bad either with the fixes put in, but nobody cares.

i guess time will tell.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Everquest is still my favorite experience in a MMORPG, but it was more a right time, right thing then it being a "great game", as it was flawed as hell, but fun. I cant see a FORCED group game working in none asian countries (FF is group based is it not?). I just don't think enough people have the time it takes to work that out like we did 10+ years ago. Attention spans are blink and you missed them nowadays (run an pug instance, not done in 30 seconds you are a noob and group will fall apart). I keep saying it, we all want that first great MMORPG feeling we had on our first loved one (EQ for me) but it wont happen again, just cant. That's not saying something great can come out, AoC is pretty good now that's its been worked on and everybody left it (or it was a year or so ago), and a few other forgotten ones are not to bad either with the fixes put in, but nobody cares.

i guess time will tell.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I played EQ1 a bit ago in one of the classic style servers (legacy or whatever they call it), and had a blast like I hadn't had for many years. The gameplay still rocks. People who like that type of MMO will be there, those who don't will still play WoW. As long as they keep costs down, they won't need 10 million subscribers to be successful.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
d'oh - yea I mean't Camelot Unchained.

Does anyone know much about the MMO-ness of Star Citizen? Is it going to be a real, EVE-style massively multiplayer universe?

What I heard is that it would be compartmentalized; that is, there might be lots of players total across the universe, but any specific section (whatever those are called) would have some kind of limit. Maybe someone who knows more could weigh in? Either way I think there is some kind of limit on how many players you can see at once.

Actually, I even heard that in the main game, you might find it hard to tell whether an enemy is even a PC or NPC character. Again, due to the long lead time on it coming out, I haven't followed closely, maybe someone else knows this detail.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

i guess time will tell.

Yea, EQ was good. And TLP servers bring it back a bit, but in my opinion the developers now run them with a pinch of incompetence here and a pinch of greed there; especially when it comes to their decisions on allowing third party input cloning programs, and that special server they released that alone of all servers doesn't allow them.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
This does look interesting, hope it delivers

https://www.pantheonmmo.com

Game Tenets

• An awareness that content is king.
  • A requirement that classes have identities. No single player should be able to do everything on their own.
  • A belief that game economies should be predicated on delaying and minimizing item value deflation.
  • A commitment to a style of play that focuses on immersive combat, and engaging group mechanics.
  • An understanding that a truly challenging game is truly rewarding.
  • An expectation that with greater risk will come greater reward.
  • An understanding that player involvement is required for progression. All actions (or lack thereof) should have consequences. Positive actions should be rewarded. Apathy or lack of action should not be rewarded with bonuses.
  • A belief that meaningful character progression will always involve a player increasing in both power and prestige.
  • A mindset that some degree of downtime should be part of a game, ensuring players have time to form important social bonds.
  • A belief that an immersive world requires intelligent inhabitants.
  • An understanding that faction and alignment should be an integral part of interacting with the world and its citizens.
  • A sincere commitment to creating a world where a focus on cooperative play will attract those seeking a challenge.
  • A belief that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared - and earned.
  • An agreement that player levels should be both meaningful and memorable.
  • An assertion that player vs. environment should involve more than NPCs -- Engage the World!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This does look interesting, hope it delivers

https://www.pantheonmmo.com

Game Tenets

• An awareness that content is king.
  • A requirement that classes have identities. No single player should be able to do everything on their own.
  • A belief that game economies should be predicated on delaying and minimizing item value deflation.
  • A commitment to a style of play that focuses on immersive combat, and engaging group mechanics.
  • An understanding that a truly challenging game is truly rewarding.
  • An expectation that with greater risk will come greater reward.
  • An understanding that player involvement is required for progression. All actions (or lack thereof) should have consequences. Positive actions should be rewarded. Apathy or lack of action should not be rewarded with bonuses.
  • A belief that meaningful character progression will always involve a player increasing in both power and prestige.
  • A mindset that some degree of downtime should be part of a game, ensuring players have time to form important social bonds.
  • A belief that an immersive world requires intelligent inhabitants.
  • An understanding that faction and alignment should be an integral part of interacting with the world and its citizens.
  • A sincere commitment to creating a world where a focus on cooperative play will attract those seeking a challenge.
  • A belief that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared - and earned.
  • An agreement that player levels should be both meaningful and memorable.
  • An assertion that player vs. environment should involve more than NPCs -- Engage the World!

i want a game where the ugly scary looking creatures are the nice ones and the good looking ones are evil. like real life ;)

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
i want a game where the ugly scary looking creatures are the nice ones and the good looking ones are evil. like real life ;)

I think that could work as long as you had the option to choose which side you were on. Maybe if you choose dark the scary monsters wont attack you and the light will, and vice vs.