The next BIG MMO?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I'm excited for EVE going free to play, that will get me back into the game and combined with Elite Dangerous, my space game fix will be sated until Star Citizen is released.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Not a mmorpg maybe but a lot of mmo's are in sci-fi areas like that.
true but what is with the hype? someone said this game cost billions to make like why? im watching the trailer and gameplay and it looks liek your average star wars lol

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Someone said its a FPS you shoot guns and stuff that is not mmo...

someone said this game cost billions to make like why?

*sigh*

Free-fly weeks come up pretty often. If you're actually interested in seeing what's different about it just try it for yourself during the next one.

And quit listening to "someone" to get inaccurate information about the game.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Check out Rift. Good F2P MMO with a big expansion in the fall (though the expansion will cost $40, you can play the current 65 levels for free).

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I am not sure about Star Citizen having the potential to be "the next big MMO".

A "big MMO", *in my opinion*, can only arise when it has an appeal for a very wide audience. Notice how many girls and people of all ages play/played WoW. Star Citizen (I only assume this and can be wrong) can never do this, it will likely stay a game for a niche audience of "geeks", people who are spending "good money" on ships. This audience is not even a typical "gamer audience".

For the same reason (but of course many, many more) I stopped playing E.D., this would never be a game where you can meet "ordinary people" like in WoW which would ultimately fill a virtual MMO world.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I am not sure about Star Citizen having the potential to be "the next big MMO".

A "big MMO", *in my opinion*, can only arise when it has an appeal for a very wide audience. Notice how many girls and people of all ages play/played WoW. Star Citizen (I only assume this and can be wrong) can never do this, it will likely stay a game for a niche audience of "geeks", people who are spending "good money" on ships. This audience is not even a typical "gamer audience".

For the same reason (but of course many, many more) I stopped playing E.D., this would never be a game where you can meet "ordinary people" like in WoW which would ultimately fill a virtual MMO world.

I concur - - and I'm about as big of a Star Citizen fan as can be found. This will not be a mass-appeal game like WoW, and at this point, I'm not sure I would consider it MMO anyway......more like a multi-player space adventure game. Most of the universe is going to be NPCs.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
people who are spending "good money" on ships.

To be fair, once out of Alpha, you'll only pay the sticker price and no monthly subscription. Could be pretty appealing to some (though not all, as I mostly agree with you).

I concur - - and I'm about as big of a Star Citizen fan as can be found. This will not be a mass-appeal game like WoW, and at this point, I'm not sure I would consider it MMO anyway......more like a multi-player space adventure game. Most of the universe is going to be NPCs.

And I'm totally happy with that.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/...w-World-is-a-17th-Century-Paranormal-MMO.html

Carve your own destiny in New World, a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game set in a living, cursed land. Choose how you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against in an evolving world that transforms with the seasons, weather, and time of day. Band together to reclaim monster-haunted wilds and build thriving civilizations, or strike out on your own, surviving in the face of supernatural terrors and murderous player bandits. Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition.

Sounds interesting, a new spin on the same old MMO settings for sure....

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I'm the opposite. I hate PVP in MMOs. If I want PVP, I'll go play an FPS, I don't want a bunch of level 60 losers ganking everyone in zone where level 20 players are trying to level up.

Arena PvP in an MMO is great for me. Rift done it right imo.

Open World PvP is one of worst ideas in an MMO for me and is an instant no-buy/turn off.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Arena PvP in an MMO is great for me. Rift done it right imo.

Open World PvP is one of worst ideas in an MMO for me and is an instant no-buy/turn off.

yeah, open world PvP = bad; dedicated zones for PvP = good. But even servers dedicated to open world PvP is fine for me--I just won't play on those servers. :D

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
lol of course the star citizen religious fanatics show up in thread proselytizing the greatness of their investment...

cGX6Ldh.jpg

It has nothing to do with sunk cost and everything to do with it being amazing...

So back on the topic and not about a space game that maxes out at 16 people.

What is the next big mmo? Black desert looked interesting to me. But it seems like its become pay to win? And its a lot of grind which I dont mind really.

Feb 4, 2009
yeah, open world PvP = bad; dedicated zones for PvP = good. But even servers dedicated to open world PvP is fine for me--I just won't play on those servers. :D

I kind of agree, as much as I want to enjoy open world PvP it always devolves to a bunch of ass clowns running around and tea bagging guys.
Same with MMOs that have nudity I'm not a prude but I also don't want to explain to my fiancee why I'm playing a game with a bunch of naked guys running around in the woods hitting each other with clubs and showing their asses off.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I kind of agree, as much as I want to enjoy open world PvP it always devolves to a bunch of ass clowns running around and tea bagging guys.
Same with MMOs that have nudity I'm not a prude but I also don't want to explain to my fiancee why I'm playing a game with a bunch of naked guys running around in the woods hitting each other with clubs and showing their asses off.

agesilaus.001.png

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
story line. characters age and die, thirst, hunger, ect
things not typically found in mmo's