Not open for further replies.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-7-2013

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/way-tax-car-owners-pay-164657091.html

The New Way to Tax Car Owners: Pay Per Mile Driven

Starting in February the state of Washington will tax electric vehicle owners $100 per year. It's estimated there are a little more than 1,500 electric cars in Washington.

Meanwhile, lawmakers in Oregon are kicking around the idea of taxing high mileage vehicles starting in 2015. The Oregon tax could be a flat annual fee and/or a tax per mile driven.

Big Brother Tracking Where You Drive?

As more states look to VMT or per-mile driven taxes, they will wrestle with the tricky issue of calculating how many miles people drive.

There is also the idea of monitoring how many miles are driven using transponders on all cars and trucks. This idea pits benefit of having a more accurate read on the mileage of each vehicle against concerns the state will be able to monitor where you have driven your car.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Look at the comments section

More and more people are talking REVOLUTION

343 comments

• 38136c0365033a49014a20aeb1968200_48.jpeg

61users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
    Tax Religion • 1 hour 34 minutes ago Report Abuse
    This tax seems like it would hurt the middle class commuter the most.​
    16 Replies More

• profile_48c.png

78users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down2users disliked this comment
    Keith • 1 hour 51 minutes ago Report Abuse
    Yet another 'smart' and sneaky way to get more money from the middle class. Everyone who drives to work, prepare to pay more! How will they monitor how many miles you drive anyway? Shall we give up even more liberty so the gov't can know exactly where we are, how many miles we drive, where to and... More
    14 Replies
  • profile_48a.png

84users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down3users disliked this comment
    curious • 2 hours 12 minutes ago Report Abuse
    what the hell? is this government going stark raving crazy? i hope people will take to the streets,enough is enough already.​
  • 1kkg3m-riAAMCQAE_cAi9cxFTJw==.medium.png

36users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down2users disliked this comment
    d f • 2 hours 1 minute ago Report Abuse
    I will ride my horses to freakin' work. I will alternate between them to keep them "fresh". This is insane. Some people have to drive more than 2 miles to work. I am not working to feed my gas tax tank, I am working to feed my household/pay bills. This idea is completely insane. This idea... More
    12 Replies
  • profile_48a.png

16users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment
    Steve • 1 hour 13 minutes ago Report Abuse
    States and municipalities use all kinds of scams to fleece motorists, like short cycling the yellow light at intersection with photo cameras and right turn on red with photo cameras. If you mae a legal right on red where there is a camera, yes you get a ticket for running a red light.​
    4 Replies
  • profile_48b.png

4users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
    steve • 1 hour 22 minutes ago Report Abuse
    So what about my vehicles that have broken odometers?​
    2 Replies
  • profile_48a.png

11users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment
    PhxAries • 1 hour 30 minutes ago Report Abuse
    Abolish the right of government to tax the people !​
    5 Replies
  • profile_48c.png

3users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
    Thaddeus • 23 minutes ago Report Abuse
    Who wants to bet they will TAX US FOR BOTH FUEL AND VMT!​
  • profile_48a.png

3users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
    ROBERT • 24 minutes ago Report Abuse
    Time for revolution I am tired of working to pay out to lying cheating beaurocrats and their god-damned ways of cheating the worker.​

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Problem is doing it that way would not be fair to smaller cars.

Large cars and esp trucks put more wear on roads than smaller cars yet you would charge them the same as a volt/prius/etc... that weighs less and has smaller tires.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Nothing new, they've been talking about this type of legislation for years now. It gives the government more revenue as they lose old revenue from more efficient vehicles and the addition of alternative fuel vehicles. It gives the government more power to monitor where, when and how people travel and gives them more information that can be used against them if needed.

The fact that you're driving a little eco-clown car doesn't really matter, they just want more money out of you and better tracking of you.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Nothing new, they've been talking about this type of legislation for years now. It gives the government more revenue as they lose old revenue from more efficient vehicles and the addition of alternative fuel vehicles. It gives the government more power to monitor where, when and how people travel and gives them more information that can be used against them if needed.

The fact that you're driving a little eco-clown car doesn't really matter, they just want more money out of you and better tracking of you.

Fuel taxes have also lagged far behind inflation along with increases in MPG. The end result is that we haven't been collecting enough money to maintain the road network for a long time.

I'd probably support raising fuel taxes first gradually over several years then pegging them to the rate of inflation. Congestion pricing for major cities also needs to be implemented. Eventually we might need the per mile charge but not yet.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I am suprised dmcowen has not called for a mileage tax, after all the poors likely take public transportation paid for by everyone else.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Starting in February the state of Washington will tax electric vehicle owners $100 per year. It's estimated there are a little more than 1,500 electric cars in Washington.
That's when you know your government is run by cunts. I've posted the calculation on our car forum many times before; you can calculate whether or not buying a hybrid makes financial sense. It makes sense if you drive more than X number of miles per year because thats when the cost of fuel for a conventional car would exceed the added cost of the hybrid system. The government looks at the equation and says "Fuck you Shawn. We're going to make it so buying an electric or hybrid car NEVER makes financial sense!"
I bet Al Gore is spinning in his grave. Actually, I never understood that expression. Was there a time in history when people expressed frustration by spinning around like retards?
The positive side: the Toyota Prius will finally die. No more pretentious asshole Prius drivers to cut you off while driving slower than the posted speed limit.

I am suprised dmcowen has not called for a mileage tax, after all the poors likely take public transportation paid for by everyone else.
Are you retarded? Public transportation is self sustaining. That's why my bus pass is $86 per month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.