• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

The New Way to Tax Car Owners: Pay Per Mile Driven

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-7-2013

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/way-tax-car-owners-pay-164657091.html

The New Way to Tax Car Owners: Pay Per Mile Driven

Starting in February the state of Washington will tax electric vehicle owners $100 per year. It's estimated there are a little more than 1,500 electric cars in Washington.

Meanwhile, lawmakers in Oregon are kicking around the idea of taxing high mileage vehicles starting in 2015. The Oregon tax could be a flat annual fee and/or a tax per mile driven.

Big Brother Tracking Where You Drive?

As more states look to VMT or per-mile driven taxes, they will wrestle with the tricky issue of calculating how many miles people drive.

There is also the idea of monitoring how many miles are driven using transponders on all cars and trucks. This idea pits benefit of having a more accurate read on the mileage of each vehicle against concerns the state will be able to monitor where you have driven your car.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Look at the comments section

More and more people are talking REVOLUTION

343 comments

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Problem is doing it that way would not be fair to smaller cars.

Large cars and esp trucks put more wear on roads than smaller cars yet you would charge them the same as a volt/prius/etc... that weighs less and has smaller tires.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Nothing new, they've been talking about this type of legislation for years now. It gives the government more revenue as they lose old revenue from more efficient vehicles and the addition of alternative fuel vehicles. It gives the government more power to monitor where, when and how people travel and gives them more information that can be used against them if needed.

The fact that you're driving a little eco-clown car doesn't really matter, they just want more money out of you and better tracking of you.

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
Nothing new, they've been talking about this type of legislation for years now. It gives the government more revenue as they lose old revenue from more efficient vehicles and the addition of alternative fuel vehicles. It gives the government more power to monitor where, when and how people travel and gives them more information that can be used against them if needed.

The fact that you're driving a little eco-clown car doesn't really matter, they just want more money out of you and better tracking of you.
Fuel taxes have also lagged far behind inflation along with increases in MPG. The end result is that we haven't been collecting enough money to maintain the road network for a long time.

I'd probably support raising fuel taxes first gradually over several years then pegging them to the rate of inflation. Congestion pricing for major cities also needs to be implemented. Eventually we might need the per mile charge but not yet.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I am suprised dmcowen has not called for a mileage tax, after all the poors likely take public transportation paid for by everyone else.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Starting in February the state of Washington will tax electric vehicle owners $100 per year. It's estimated there are a little more than 1,500 electric cars in Washington.
That's when you know your government is run by cunts. I've posted the calculation on our car forum many times before; you can calculate whether or not buying a hybrid makes financial sense. It makes sense if you drive more than X number of miles per year because thats when the cost of fuel for a conventional car would exceed the added cost of the hybrid system. The government looks at the equation and says "Fuck you Shawn. We're going to make it so buying an electric or hybrid car NEVER makes financial sense!"
I bet Al Gore is spinning in his grave. Actually, I never understood that expression. Was there a time in history when people expressed frustration by spinning around like retards?
The positive side: the Toyota Prius will finally die. No more pretentious asshole Prius drivers to cut you off while driving slower than the posted speed limit.

I am suprised dmcowen has not called for a mileage tax, after all the poors likely take public transportation paid for by everyone else.
Are you retarded? Public transportation is self sustaining. That's why my bus pass is $86 per month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY