The new 20th Anniversary 2001 Maxima is SCHWEET!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThurzNite

Nov 15, 1999
Since the 4th gens of 1995 and on, haven't all SE's had Bose and leather standard? Just like the sunroof, spoiler, stiffer suspension, white face guages, less chrome, and a bunch of other goodies?
Anyway, my bro has owned 3 maximas and I just love his 2k SE 5sp. W/the moderate power mods, he's done, I'd say it's time to take it out to the race track (Buttonwillow anybody?)
I know that since Nissan took away the independant suspension starting 1995, I've heard that the rear swings out a lot when cornering. Many suggested the rear (anti)sway bar. If that's not enough, then get the strut tower bar. However, if/when the strut tower bar comes out for the 5th gen (2000+ models) it'll be funky when the rears seats are folded down...cuz it'll partially block the through-way. W/the 1995-1999 models, it's only a ski pass through through the middle armrest so it's not blocked.
And here's my plug for the Nissan recognized national club: Maxima
Jay
ps: anybody selling a 1993+ SE 5sp Maxima? I want one!

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
LOL i think this car is even more of a kick ass car
SWEEET!
Mind you that most of us will be eating tree bark after trying to finance that.

For a sedan I really think that the Nissan Maxima 2001 is an excellent good car for its price. However there is plenty of competition, not to mention the Malibu, Camry the Accord(which is a little bit heftier on the price tag.) Honestly its your personal tastes.

Amazed from the car above? Go for more info here, its brand new btw.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Leather and Bose were/are optional on the SE. You could get a Bose without leather, but not the other way around (for 2000, anyway). We actually sold a few Maxima SEs with everything except leather (and the auto climate control, which was part of the leather pkg. only.)

I hope that made sense. . .

ThurzNite:
I'd bet that a rear STB could be made to not block the pass-through. The pass-through is much smaller than it could be, but I think a compromise was made in favor of a more solid structure. Take a look in your bro's trunk. You'll see what I mean.

I have a '92 SE 5spd, but it's not for sale. . . If I sell it, my Mom has first dibs on it anyhow.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
mad indian

Thats exactly what i noticed!! The thing handled well around corners - but if there were any bumps at all it would skitter like mad!

garfang I'm glad they've fixed these problems a bit... :)

ThurzNite

Nov 15, 1999
Garfang: One of the things we did on his 2k was install eibach springs, which required taking off the struts. The strut towers are, as you said, pretty low. But after seeing Addco and Stillen's bars for the 4th gens, I think it will slighty block maybe 2 inches off the bottom of the pass through. Perhaps this gen they will make the bar w/a dip/bend like the front towers so that the pass through won't be obstructed.
Also, I can't remember any 95+ SE's not having leather and bose, but maybe it's just the people I hang w/ :)
Change that...You're right...you can get it w/o leather. Test driving one in Pasadena, the sales dood wanted us to buy the car but it didn't have leather. He offered $200 to go to a guy down the block to make leather slip covers...we declined and left.
Jay

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the maxima is nice, looks great, is plenty large, has a really nice engine. its too bad it comes with some of the worst audio on the planet. and doesn't the engine take premium? sludge is just fine for me.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
ElFenix: I think the Maxima's stock audio system is very good! (I'm talking about the BOSE one, not the standard audio system). It delivers clean highs, trebles, and lots of bass (considering there's no subwoofer in it). I don't know how the 2000 Maxima BOSE system sounds with its added subwoofer though.

ThurzNite

Nov 15, 1999
The 2k BOSE system is heavy on the bass, even when treble/bass settings are set to 0. Highs are very crisp (I'm sensitive to highs). Lows are slightly muddy. It seems like Bose has a tendency to over-emphasize bass. The previous years (93-99) Bose systems seem to be slightly weighed towards bass production. Or maybe it's cuz I don't listen to classical while driving.
What's cool about the 2k my bro has is that sitting in the rear middle position, I can barely tell the sub is right behind me, but I can tell there is a sub cuz of the over emphasis on bass. The cool part is that voices seem to originate from the front of the car. I think the A-pilar tweeters are very effective, even from the rear seats, any position.
Jay

Harrisment

Aug 29, 2000
Get the Acura 3.2 TL....thats what I drive and I absolutely love it! Alot like the Maxima, just nicer in my opinion. Plus the 220 Hp gets up and goes!

Harrisment

Aug 29, 2000
no it's not, if what he says about the maxima being $29K is true. The sticker price on my TL was $28,800....fully loaded with leather, cd, tape, cruise, sunroof, sport shift, and the bose sound system

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
The Acura 3.2TL are nice..but they feel big. How does the Acura 3.2TL handle? Does it feel like a boat?

Plus..I think the Maxima (any year) 5spd could keep up with the Acura TL if not beat it..but if the Max was auto, it would lose.

Is the BOSE system in the Acura the same as the one in the Maxima, Pontiac GrandPrix, and Mazda Millenia & 626?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
harrisment

Hmm, didn't know they were that cheap - but $29k has gotta be top of the line maxima, as you can buy one for a scratch above 20 if you go for the GXE. And thats with the 5-spd and 6.6 or 6.7 0-60 (since the SE is 6.7 and the GXE is a touch lighter).

Acuras look very "rich" though, 2.3 TLs are a nice vehicle.

mad indian

I'll agree on the performance you stated except for the "any year" part remember some of the older models don't have so many horse power!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Skoorb: The 3rd Gen Maximas had 160hp and 190hp in SE form. You have to remember that those cars were lighter than the 4th and 5th Gen Maximas, so they held their own.

However I dunno much about the 1st Gen Maximas..but I do know they talked!! just like Knight Rider...well ok maybe not *just like* Knight Rider. It's a damn cool feature regardless.

ThurzNite

Nov 15, 1999
yeah, 1st gen and i think 2nd gen maximas talked, like "door ajar" or "lights on".
2k maxima SE top of the line is $29k.
2.3TL is missing a few things. Such as litters. Maxima has larger engine (I'm pretty sure, but somebody check). And Acura doesn't have 5sp.
A friend of mine owns 2k Maxima and 2.3TL. He says the audio in the 2.3 sounds way better. However, it doesn't handle nearly as well as the Maxima. As for start/stop feel, the 2.3 feels faster, but at the end of a block a Maxima would beat it. Translated...it's got major low end torque.
Jay