Discussion The Most Underrated Vegetable Is The Rutabaga

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Most people I know have never eaten it and many don't know what it looks like.

Boiled, steamed, roasted or even "stewed" rutabaga is pretty awesome. Add some grated carrots and it gets even better.

:)

Reactions: lxskllr

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I've had it as chips. It's just root vegetable. I would eat it if it was more widely available.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
food of last resort is an apt name for it, i know the older generations back in Holland have no love for it

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
They are great in pasties I guess.

Otherwise it's a radish for me as they are great in salads for a nice crunchy spice.

Reactions: Captante

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah rutabagas are great and highly underrated. So are purple top turnips and parsnips. If you like rutabagas you should give them a try sometime to.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
In my thirties during a family conversation I said as a kid years ago I quite enjoyed cooked Rutabagas (Turnips), especially mashed with butter, salt and pepper, or gravy. Still do. My mother raised her eyebrows and said, "Oh! You fell for that?"

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I've had it as chips. It's just root vegetable. I would eat it if it was more widely available.

Same here, basically a sweet turnip, which I like. 'Smashed nips' or adding them to a roasting medley or stew was common when I was kid. Still grows veg likes she's feeding several families.

I think my favorite swerve away from potatoes is a cauliflower Parmesan and peppercorn puree. Rutabaga is welcome though.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't like them as well mashed. Not a big fan of mashed taters either. Boiled or baked is just fine though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Most people I know have never eaten it and many don't know what it looks like.

Boiled, steamed, roasted or even "stewed" rutabaga is pretty awesome. Add some grated carrots and it gets even better.

:)
I have never knowingly eaten one in my life but it's going on my shopping list right now, on your recommendation. Thank you.

Reactions: Iron Woode

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They are great in pasties I guess.

Otherwise it's a radish for me as they are great in salads for a nice crunchy spice.
Sliced raw rutabagas in salad? Is that a thing?

Mushrooms are underrated by many. My local indy supermarket features untold varieties, most of which I know nothing about. I put some maybe 15 year old Shiitake mushrooms in my teriyaki and broccoli yesterday, it was a nice touch (wash and then soak the dried mushrooms in boiled water til soft and slice). A Chinese woman turned me onto Shiitakes them decades ago.

I used to forage wild mushrooms with the help of Mushroom's Demystified by David Agora, which focuses on fungi that grow in my region.

I have been making very delicious (and easy) cream of mushroom soup from the Shaggy Parasols that grew at the periphery of my compost pile until about a week ago. They've stopped forcing up mushrooms. :(

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Shreds might work to add some texture, but I've never had it that way. Since you ordered some, you can try it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've had rutabaga but it's been a while. Like many years. And in a mash form. But tonight this girl I met at the Brooklyn botanical gardens on a date picked this restaurant she knows. We shared the duck and the rutabaga entrees, which she said was her favorite here, after some apps. So random as I rarely see that vegetable mentioned. And just days after seeing it on ATOT. The fortune teller forums.

Deliciousness. This was rutabaga elevated.

784cbc69f300ef523f77e041b47d6110.jpg
2d04cc288914186a33c6641ca3e91982.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Sliced raw rutabagas in salad? Is that a thing?

Mushrooms are underrated by many. My local indy supermarket features untold varieties, most of which I know nothing about. I put some maybe 15 year old Shiitake mushrooms in my teriyaki and broccoli yesterday, it was a nice touch (wash and then soak the dried mushrooms in boiled water til soft and slice). A Chinese woman turned me onto Shiitakes them decades ago.

I used to forage wild mushrooms with the help of Mushroom's Demystified by David Agora, which focuses on fungi that grow in my region.

I have been making very delicious (and easy) cream of mushroom soup from the Shaggy Parasols that grew at the periphery of my compost pile until about a week ago. They've stopped forcing up mushrooms. :(

Mushrooms are great (love 'em fried) - but no way would I ever try and forage for 'wild' ones. Heard far too many stories of people getting that wrong and fatally poisoning themselves.