The most extreme mini-ITX gaming rig you've ever seen - MAX11Lv3

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
I just finished a build I've been working on for a customer. He requested a system to fulfill these requirements.
  • small
  • lightweight
  • very powerful
  • unique
  • cutting edge gaming performance

If you like what you see here, be sure to check out the full build log for details :)

This is what the layout looks like prior to putting in the optical drive tray....it's a really tight squeeze!

MAX11Lv3122.jpg

And here are the final shots of the system. The customer is planning to replace the feet with something a bit more athetically pleasing once he finds something he likes.

MAX11Lv3129.jpg

MAX11Lv3128.jpg

MAX11Lv3127.jpg

MAX11Lv3126.jpg

MAX11Lv3125.jpg

I welcome your comments and criticisms :)

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I like it
the feet actually look good to me
I also like the slim optical drive

Feb 19, 2009
That's an awesome build, grats.

I've just built a Sugo 05 mITX myself. Thinking of putting in an Antec Kuhler 620 in it, but i like the slim DVD drive and it just won't fit with the drive in place.

Your water loop in effect makes the CPU temp around the same as GPU temp under load, right?

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
the feet actually look good to me

That's an awesome build, grats.

I've just built a Sugo 05 mITX myself. Thinking of putting in an Antec Kuhler 620 in it, but i like the slim DVD drive and it just won't fit with the drive in place.

Your water loop in effect makes the CPU temp around the same as GPU temp under load, right?
They both reach around the same temps, but they do not maintain the same temp all the time.

Make sure you check out the OP of my build log for ideas on your SG05 build. This is the 3rd SG05/06 I've built, part one or two might be helpful to you.

Feb 19, 2009
I prefer cards which push hot air outside the case for such a small box. Ambient temps where I am are quite high about half the year.

I'm thinking the slim DVD R/W can fit underneath the 120mm fan/H70, sitting on bottom of the case. Just need to cut a front port for it. I can't really do without the dvd drive, getting an external is good and all, but you have to lug extra stuff around.. plus, a PC doesn't feel "complete" without it. :)

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
I prefer cards which push hot air outside the case for such a small box. Ambient temps where I am are quite high about half the year.

I'm thinking the slim DVD R/W can fit underneath the 120mm fan/H70, sitting on bottom of the case. Just need to cut a front port for it. I can't really do without the dvd drive, getting an external is good and all, but you have to lug extra stuff around.. plus, a PC doesn't feel "complete" without it. :)

In the 1st version, I was using air cooling and had an optical drive included ;)

Placing it at the bottom wouldn't work due to the length of the optical drive obstructing the motherboard mount :(

Feb 19, 2009
Ive just measured it and looks like the slim optical will fit underneath the MB, theres just enough clearance (with sata extension cables routed back outside the MB).. but the water coolers have a bulge which block drives being above or below it anyway.

Turning the radiator on its sides means you can't have video cards longer than 8.5'

Looks like its impossible to have a slim drive with those water coolers.

Im currently using the Scythe Shuriken rev B. Temps under prime95 hangs around 60C. BF3 loads the CPU to 59C :) That's at stock.

Eventually i plan to OC it to around 4.2ghz... so definitely need better cooling.

Last edited:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Very nice work!

Don't get your hopes up too high on mini ITX 1155 motherboards that overclock really well. The Zotac does better in this regard, but apparently has a high failure rate. The ASRock throttles. The throttling may be alleviated a bit by cooling the VRMs (heatsinks + airflow) and using Throttlestop, based on what I've read by others who have used this board.

What did you do for the optical drive connectors? Did you use an adapter and just wire it into the PSU? Did you cut down a normal SATA power connector?

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Okay, so basically a normal adapter but modded with sleeving and shrink. Thanks.

Feb 19, 2009
Don't get your hopes up too high on mini ITX 1155 motherboards that overclock really well. The Zotac does better in this regard, but apparently has a high failure rate. The ASRock throttles. The throttling may be alleviated a bit by cooling the VRMs (heatsinks + airflow) and using Throttlestop, based on what I've read by others who have used this board.

I've got an Asrock Z68 and just added some copper heatsinks over the VRMs, with the shuriken blowing down on them. It needs decent airflow over the heatsinks, something the H20 coolers lack.

Tested OC at 4.3ghz and it ran stable with prime95, not throttling. BUT, cpu temps were too high @ 75-78C.

I just leave it on stock now until I get a better cooler (and mod a small 40mm fan over the VRM heatsinks).