The most expensive liquor you ever tried?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
the most expensive liquor I buy is a 26oz Mount Gay Extra Old for about $46.00 CDN.

That will last me about a year.

Nov 8, 2012
Some six pack of like 18% beer I bought without knowing it. It doesn't take very much at all to get me drunk and I drank two bottles before I knew what happened. I think it was like $30 for six.

Must have been a dogfish head I'm guessing....

Very few would sell an 18% beer in a 6-pack - it would either come in a 4-pack or single bottle

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, I'm already a fan of Founder's Breakfast Stout, but alas, have not sighted the KBS anywhere yet.
I only find KBS by waiting for the tickets to go on sale in March, and then buying tickets within the first 1 minute the tickets are available, and then driving to founders and waiting in line to claim my bottles.

Of course during KBS week, like 50 barrels of KBS are opened at various bars around town too ....

It's good, but I don't think it's really worth the hassle. It's mostly just for the novelty of it, and for a fun "beercation" in Grand Rapids :)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Must have been a dogfish head I'm guessing....

Very few would sell an 18% beer in a 6-pack - it would either come in a 4-pack or single bottle
The 120 min IPA and the Worldwide stout were both reduced to 18% ABV a few years back, but, usually I've only seen them sold individually

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
Glenfiddich 40 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Had a small glass full. Not a drinker so cant compare it to anything. I did feel obligated to drink it all though...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Reduced to 18%? Holy cow.
I know back when I first started to really get into beers (before I had a house and a mortgage) 120 min IPA & worldwide stout were were around 20 or 21 percent abv. (this was during the Dubya era)

They may not have been reduced intentionally, for both 120 min IPA and also for Worldwide stout, it might just be "whatever it is" when they measure the gravity at the end of the brew. So, it could vary by a few percent year over year.

Anything higher than about 15% or so will be very hard on the yeast, even if they use Champagne yeast. So, things tend to be unpredictable beyond that.

Personally, I find the 120 min IPA is a bit on the bitter side. The worldwide stout tastes a bit boozy. I prefer stouts to be less yeasty and boozy usually.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I know back when I first started to really get into beers (before I had a house and a mortgage) 120 min IPA & worldwide stout were were around 20 or 21 percent abv. (this was during the Dubya era)

They may not have been reduced intentionally, for both 120 min IPA and also for Worldwide stout, it might just be "whatever it is" when they measure the gravity at the end of the brew. So, it could vary by a few percent year over year.

Anything higher than about 15% or so will be very hard on the yeast, even if they use Champagne yeast. So, things tend to be unpredictable beyond that.

Personally, I find the 120 min IPA is a bit on the bitter side. The worldwide stout tastes a bit boozy. I prefer stouts to be less yeasty and boozy usually.
I didn't like the 60 min IPA when I tried it, way too malty/sweet for my tastes.
My preferred stout is New Holland Dragon's Milk, so maybe the Worldwise Stout would suit me.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm a plebe. My favorite stout is Guinness. It actually isn't my favorite, but that's what I buy. I'm not into beer that much, and I've had some spendy mediocre craft beers, so I play it safe and get Guinness. I would like to get some Sam Smiths oatmeal and imperial stouts. They were my goto treat beers back when the pickings were slimmer.

Back in the early 90s, a local pub had Murphys draught that I /think/ was a rogue batch. It has the flavor or burnt currants. I loved that beer, but it quit tasting like that after awhile, and hasn't been like that since.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
My Pappy 20 lasted a few years almost done, didn't realize what it's selling for now.