The microwave at work is messing with my wireless headphones

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I have a nice set of logitech g930 headphones.

They are 2.4ghz rf wireless.

They work great until someone uses the microwave at work. It usually just mildly disrupts the signal (adds some noise and flutter), but sometimes it kills it completely.

Any tips? I'm about 30ft away from the microwave.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I have a nice set of logitech g930 headphones.

They are 2.4ghz rf wireless.

They work great until someone uses the microwave at work. It usually just mildly disrupts the signal (adds some noise and flutter), but sometimes it kills it completely.

Any tips? I'm about 30ft away from the microwave.

use tinfoil to turn your cubicle into a Faraday cage

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
foil tape around the edges.

if that doesn't work, bagged microwave popcorn & open can of sardines for 30 minutes on high.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
As you can see, at 2.4Ghz, transmission in dry air is pretty high:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microw...ve_Transmittance_at_Mauna_Kea_(simulated).svg

I don't know that much about microwave appliances, but I assume they have shielding of some kind...

Can you change the frequency output of the transmitter to your headphones?

I can't, and yes the air is dry here.

I'm tempted to have my step-dad cut a 1/2" thick piece of stainless steel so I can put it by the microwave lol

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I can't, and yes the air is dry here.

I'm tempted to have my step-dad cut a 1/2" thick piece of stainless steel so I can put it by the microwave lol

Darn... I was going to say, just change the frequency to 5Ghz and problem solved (most likely).

Orrrrrrrrrr just go ghetto and wrap the whole microwave in aluminum foil lol.

Other users saying tin foil your head phones... just.... no.

Edit: Is this an old microwave? Just looked up some stuff, and almost all microwaves actually have a faraday cage installed inside them, for the very purpose of blocking EM waves from exiting.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Walk in to your boss' office, whip your dick out, slap it on the table, and demand satisfaction.

Threaten to quit until Microwavegate is resolved!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't think that microwave should be emitting that much EM. I wouldn't stand next to it while in use.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Microwaves shouldn't emit interference, but they sometimes do, especially if they're cheap junk. If you were having a problem with your router you could just change the channel it's using, but since you can't do that all you can do is get rid of the microwave, get rid of yourself, or add shielding to something. The easiest thing would probably be to switch the microwave out for a different one. Switch yours with one from a different break room, or just break the microwave so they replace it with another.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I don't know that much about microwave appliances, but I assume they have shielding of some kind...

Can you change the frequency output of the transmitter to your headphones?

Microwave ovens probably insulate a lot of RF compared to what they put out inside the oven, but they may still leak. I have a RF meter and played with it when my microwave bought 4-ish years ago was on. It picked up RF from about 10' away behind a wall -- probably a lathe and plaster wall on one side, drywall on the other. Readings were way higher, obviously, around the edges of the door. No clue how dangerous any of it was, but something does get out.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2005
16f6202cd402e020b47364d5c1ae9d4b5a7980ee7bf739cc79b92b6e67d5a8b3.jpg

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
You should buy a Keysight spectrum analyzer N9040B model and see what is going on, you could potentially be exposing yourself to high levels of RF.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Panasonic microwave by any chance? My limited experience is that these do interfere with 2.4 GHz band.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
It's pretty common for microwave ovens to interfere with 2.4 GHz wifi. With wifi you many not notice it, because you can't hear it and it usually just causes an overall slowdown in transmission speed.

Get some nice wired headphones and a headphone amp. They're likely to sound a hell of a lot better than some wireless drek produced by Logitech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The same thing's happened to me, and it's been the case with any microwave I've used and had wireless devices near.

- Parents' microwave: Causes distortion on wireless headphones.
- College: Microwave would drastically reduce wifi throughput anywhere in the apartment.
- My own microwave: Reduces wifi throughput and causes distortion on wireless headphones.
- Microwave at work: Corrupts Xbee transceiver data packets.

I don't think that microwave should be emitting that much EM. I wouldn't stand next to it while in use.
Low-level non-ionizing radiation though.
Wireless devices don't transmit with much power to begin with. It doesn't take much to render unusable the information contained in a slight whisper.

Last edited: