The matrix. What plot holes?

silent tone

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
A good read.

Glitches in the Matrix & how to fix them This is an article that also appears in the book 'Taking the Red Pill'. Although the book lists Kurzweil as a contributor, and this article is on kurzweilai.net, the article is by Peter Lloyd, which confused me until I noticed the author after reading the article.

Somewhat off-topic from his explanations of the movie, he claims that the agents aren't conscious. He cites the narrative by agent Smith during Morpheus' interrogation. But one of the posters pointed out the irrational actions of the subordinate agents after Neo is resurrected and attacks agent Smith. Would consciousness be required to allow self-preservation to take control despite their responsibilities?

Is there a distinction between sentience and consciousness

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
The units in warcraft 3 act in the interest of self preservation, and they're neither sentient nor conscious.

silent tone

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tyler
The units in warcraft 3 act in the interest of self preservation, and they're neither sentient nor conscious.
I know, but they are also not intelligent. The agents are.

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
A better question would be why can't they just have consequence-free sex with the woman in red?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
An interesting read for someone bored at work (like me)...I found the section on the power plant especially intriguing! Basically Peter says that the rebels got it wrong...they weren't being used for energy power, but rather for processing power. Wouldn't it be ironic that man created the CPU to perform complicated tasks it couldn't perform at blazing speed, and in turn the CPU turned to man's brain in order to perform complicated tasks it couldn't perform at blazing speed (in a massively parallel configuration.)

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
An interesting read for someone bored at work (like me)...I found the section on the power plant especially intriguing! Basically Peter says that the rebels got it wrong...they weren't being used for energy power, but rather for processing power. Wouldn't it be ironic that man created the CPU to perform complicated tasks it couldn't perform at blazing speed, and in turn the CPU turned to man's brain in order to perform complicated tasks it couldn't perform at blazing speed (in a massively parallel configuration.)

Check out the Hyperion series (SF novels) by Dan Simmons.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

My question is this: How do you reproduce in the matrix? If you are only in a virtual world having sex, that means that the machines must monitor who's having sex all willy nilly and then extract an egg from the female body and some sperm from the male and they get a new power source. However, why not selectively breed if you have the capability. They could engineer better people who will provide more power output over time.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: XZeroII

My question is this: How do you reproduce in the matrix? If you are only in a virtual world having sex, that means that the machines must monitor who's having sex all willy nilly and then extract an egg from the female body and some sperm from the male and they get a new power source. However, why not selectively breed if you have the capability. They could engineer better people who will provide more power output over time.
I would imagine that if you were to have sex in the Matrix resulting in orgasm/ejaculation, then the same physical sensations would be present in the real world, the fluids and what not being released into the occupant's pod. The Matrix probably monitors men for the release of semen and women for the release of eggs, and the protective liquid in the pods could serve to keep these cells alive. We can also assume that the Matrix tracks who is fertilizing who in the virtual world and matches things accordingly in the real world (when Neo wakes up, he still looks like Neo--albeit with shaved head, pale skin, weak muscles etc.) Thus, if John and Jane have sex in the Matrix, and John releases semen, the Matrix can track John024324's semen and match it with one of Jane55793's eggs (released during her menstrual cycle?) and build another baby/battery/CPU for the virtual world and the real world. Of course that's just my take on it!

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I would imagine that if you were to have sex in the Matrix resulting in orgasm/ejaculation, then the same physical sensations would be present in the real world, the fluids and what not being released into the occupant's pod. The Matrix probably monitors men for the release of semen and women for the release of eggs, and the protective liquid in the pods could serve to keep these cells alive. We can also assume that the Matrix tracks who is fertilizing who in the virtual world and matches things accordingly in the real world (when Neo wakes up, he still looks like Neo--albeit with shaved head, pale skin, weak muscles etc.) Thus, if John and Jane have sex in the Matrix, and John releases semen, the Matrix can track John024324's semen and match it with one of Jane55793's eggs (released during her menstrual cycle?) and build another baby/battery/CPU for the virtual world and the real world. Of course that's just my take on it!

Women don't "release" eggs. Any ova leaving the female body is already dead.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Tyler

Women don't "release" eggs. Any ova leaving the female body is already dead.
Yeah I figured, but in the interests of science fiction I think we can suppose that they found a way to extract eggs...

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
The machines wouldn't go around scooping up semen and sitting on eggs. They would just clone another human when they needed one. Making Neo look like Neo in the real world was a big mistake. They should have made everybody in the real world look the same.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
The machines wouldn't go around scooping up semen and sitting on eggs. They would just clone another human when they needed one. Making Neo look like Neo in the real world was a big mistake. They should have made everybody in the real world look the same.

Why did they even create the matrix? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for them to just knock us out and let us live like mindless vegetables? Why, knowing the potential for danger (the presence of the agents), would they allow human consciousness to continue to threaten their existence? Were I in their postion, I would just put everybody to sleep and shut the city off, while keeping the people plugged in and alive for their energy, or whatever. Or am I forgetting something important?

Cycad

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2000
They wouldn't have to clone them. They could use selective breeding, and there is no proof that I saw that everyone has to be stuck in the same tubes they could have special apparatus in which they just harvest eggs and semen from humans. Or they could just take a woman's eggs they can get about 1000 from a single woman even if they killed her in the process it would be of no consequence.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
More importantly....who the hell cares?

Amen to that.

Its a fvcking movie! Enjoy it instead of trying to pick it the fvck apart, Fanboy!

~wnied~