The man behind Freelancer is announcing a new project soon

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/11/wing-commander-creator-returns-to-gaming-unveils-new-project-ne/

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

Wing Commander creator returns to gaming, unveils new project next month
by Sinan Kubba on Sep 11th 2012 9:00AM

Chris Roberts, the brain behind Wing Commander and Freelancer, announced his return to game development yesterday with a newly launched website*. The site more than hints at an upcoming high-end space sim, giving users a 'golden ticket' to a private showing of Roberts' 'next creation,' scheduled for 10am JST (7am Pacific) on October 10 at GDC Online. Furthermore, Roberts' updated LinkedIn profile lists him as the boss of Cloud Imperium. According to the site, Cloud Imperium launched last year and is "dedicated to high end gaming and anything involving spaceships."

Although Roberts forged a career in Hollywood over the last decade, producing films like The Punisher and Lord of War, his passion clearly remains in the space sims he made across the 90s. His new website's introductory message reveals he left games development because he was frustrated with its technological limits. Roberts' Wing Commander series mixed space combat with high-end cinematics starring the likes of Mark Hamill and John Rhys Davies, and (in retrospect) the disparity between the graphics and video is stark.

Roberts now feels he has the tools to build a world "more satisfying and richer" than any film he could work on. While things have changed much since Roberts' last worked in the industry back in 2003, the return of the man who made one of gaming's most celebrated series is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Another one to keep an eye on. There were many things I didn't like about Freelancer though; regardless, I enjoyed it existing rather than it not.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/11/wing-commander-creator-returns-to-gaming-unveils-new-project-ne/

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

Another one to keep an eye on. There were many things I didn't like about Freelancer though; regardless, I enjoyed it existing rather than it not.

He should be busy working on the new Punisher that if anyone is smart they'll make (after that awesome 10 minute short), but I do agree, I am anxious to see what this is all about!!

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Wow, that's a seriously NICE looking carrier.

This is going to be some sort of Privateer/Freelancer reboot likely with some sort of persistent MMO-style universe.

Last edited:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Can't wait to see what this one is about. I loved the Wing Commander series. It was incredibly innovative for its time. A full-blown trading/exploring/combat/conquest space sim set in a persistent universe that isn't Eve would be welcome.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Wow, that's a seriously NICE looking carrier.

This is going to be some sort of Privateer/Freelancer reboot likely with some sort of persistent MMO-style universe.

Did you figure out the access code for the website? lol. I assumed it was 101010 like the screen shows but it gives me a hint "answer to the ultimate question". Maybe all my chrome addons are blocking things or I am retarded.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Did you figure out the access code for the website? lol. I assumed it was 101010 like the screen shows but it gives me a hint "answer to the ultimate question". Maybe all my chrome addons are blocking things or I am retarded.

That IS the answer to the ultimate question!!!

Seriously... you're going to facepalm yourself once you figure it out.

Here's another hint: :thumbsup:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I'm stoked. Can't wait until next month for more info. Wanted a good space sim for about ten years now!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
That guy (Chris Roberts) also worked on StarLancer (which precedes FreeLancer), and really wasn't bad at all from what I can remember. A side note, however, I remember playing StarLancer on the Dreamcast (I didn't know it was originally developed for the PC). Classic Game Room's Lord Karnage (I.E. Mark) also reviewed it some time ago. Another side note, I love that guy's reviews.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I hope for:
  1. Cockpits
  2. Joystick Support with strafing and a skew mode. (hold down a button to turn your ship around while continuing in the same direction from inertia
  3. Energy management between battery, shield, thrusters, guns
  4. Radar
  5. Cameras instead of glass cockpits: if camera is destroyed or EMP'd, can use radar to create a virtual image of where enemies should be until you send bots out to repair.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
i really hope this game has a strong single player component as well, and isn't too focused on trading etc. i want something closer to freespace 2 and further from eve/x3

sushicide

Nov 7, 2001
WC3/4 were amazing, but Freelancer was too hyped/ambitious that Roberts himself couldn't even finish (end product was still a great game though, nonetheless)

Hope he does better this time around.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Absolutely loved Freelancer, actually have it sitting in my optical drive right now, high hopes that this comes out to be another classic :)