The limits of power

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Just like "ancient" design of the internal combustion engine will have to be replaced by more modern and more efficient technologies, future GPU designs will eventually have to be replaced and manufacturing principles revisited. We cannot continue to rely on die shrinks because eventually we will not be able to go below a certain number (i.e., the length of 1 atom?) I am not a physicist or a chemist, so my knowledge in this area is limited. I am not entirely sure when this physical limitation will occur. http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/07/optical-lithography-can-go-to-12.html

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Just like "ancient" design of the internal combustion engine will have to be replaced by more modern and more efficient technologies, future GPU designs will eventually have to be replaced and manufacturing principles revisited. We cannot continue to rely on die shrinks because eventually we will not be able to go below a certain number (i.e., the length of 1 atom?) I am not a physicists or a chemist, so my knowledge in this area is very limited. I am not entirely sure when this physical limitation will occur.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/artic...-dna-self-assembly-build-faster-cheaper-chips

That sounds pretty cool, huh?

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
I say we no longer care about graphics card power requirements in the future since all the heavy processing will be done via server and all you need is a more minimal system with a very fast internet connection.

blanketyblank got it right. the future is with "outsource rendering". BTW, that will also mean the end of piracy :) you wont have to install any game. you'll just run a client window (or fullscreen) which will render the frames on your screen. and since you log in, maybe a per hour fee can be applied to gaming, or a flatrate plan.

i'm no pirate, but i'm not sure i'm happy with this business model at all.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Yes, having everything rendered onlin(v)e will completely eliminate piracy. No longer will people hack servers, steal credit card accounts, or run red lights. There will be world peace and rainbows raining skittles.

I doubt you can get interleaving turned off on every single DSL connection, and completely eliminate satellite internet. The onlive model may work in thirty years if Tier 1 providers decide to completely reconstruct their infrastructure, but only in major cities. It will take a very very long time for this model to be available to every citizen.