The left's despicable rule: Criticisms of Obama are racist

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
No. I'm demonstrating that your thread title is dishonest. I'm giving you the definition of "RULE" that you say you want. But I'm holding you to your own definition. The fact that we've relaxed "RULE" to mean "usually" from "100%" doesn't get you off the hook. According to you, liberals USUALLY respond to criticism of Obama by calling the criticism racist.

Now, I've racked my brain and here are four major, recent criticisms of Obama made by Romney:

• "You didn't build that" criticism
  • Obama apologized for American values after embassy attack.
  • Didn't keep his promise about keeping auto plant open.
  • Americans are worse off now than when Obama took office.

Please show us responses to these criticisms where liberals say they're racist.

Here is Chris Matthews saying if you oppose what Obama is doing to the Welfare Reform Act, then you are Racist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzc404PPWa0

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How many pundits and people speak fondly of Bill Clinton..but think Barak "Hussein" Obama is trying to destroy America ?

They are both doing the same things for the same reasons, as a long time Democrat I can assure you that's the case. Both are middle of the road moderate Democrats.

Why the different reaction ?

Those same pundits who speak fondly now were all in on impeachent back then

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
There's more, but the point of the article was made that in some cases the whole racial "code words" are over blown and over used. Sometimes a criticism of Obama playing too much golf or being angry or being a politician from Chicago is nothing but a valid criticism that can be made against any politician regardless of race or party. It's not a racist attack, it's a slam on a partisan politician.
I sure as hell am not saying that there isn't racism in this country or in this world, anyone that has their eyes open sees it, but not everything is a racist attack.

So you're saying I'm right; most of the cries of being called racist coming from the right are just hot air.
So while there are occasional actual racist remarks made the right wing pundits, and occasional left wing pundits calling right wingers racist, neither are the norm and as Shira points out definitively not the 'rule'.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So if I can find a left wing pundit or a Democrat politician that says that "golf" or "dead" or "angry" is a racist term you'll admit i'm right and you're wrong ?

You know just to get what you want in terms of proof out of the way so you don't move the goalposts later.

Yes, nothing you have presented so far has shown that.
Just some right wing pundits being pissy at left wing pundits over nothing.

I found the quotes and I'm right, now you want to move the goalposts. It's what I figured you'd do.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I found the quotes and I'm right, now you want to move the goalposts. It's what I figured you'd do.

You're "right" in the fact that you actually found a pundit who called Romney racist (albeit still indirectly).
Lets look at your other post.

There's more, but the point of the article was made that in some cases the whole racial "code words" are over blown and over used. Sometimes a criticism of Obama playing too much golf or being angry or being a politician from Chicago is nothing but a valid criticism that can be made against any politician regardless of race or party.It's not a racist attack, it's a slam on a partisan politician.
I sure as hell am not saying that there isn't racism in this country or in this world, anyone that has their eyes open sees it, but not everything is a racist attack.

I've gone and bolded the important parts since you seemed to have forgotten about it the moment you posted it.
Some cases != the Rule as Shira pointed out rather well already.

That last sentence is where you agree with me, that racism exists, some people use it, others think it exists where it doesn't. But neither of those two things are the majority.

If you can't handle that I'm going to have to start treating you like I do Incorruptible and his garbage posts.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You're "right" in the fact that you actually found a pundit who called Romney racist (albeit still indirectly).
Lets look at your other post.

I've gone and bolded the important parts since you seemed to have forgotten about it the moment you posted it.
Some cases != the Rule as Shira pointed out rather well already.

That last sentence is where you agree with me, that racism exists, some people use it, others think it exists where it doesn't. But neither of those two things are the majority.

If you can't handle that I'm going to have to start treating you like I do Incorruptible and his garbage posts.

Of course I agree with you about the existence of racism. I said it and meant it, but my problem with what shira said (100%) and anyone claiming that the vast majority, preponderance, etc. of criticisms aimed at Obama is racist is something I disagree with.

Racism is and continues to be a problem in every single country of the world including the U.S. and the fact that my avatar is Lincoln holding the emancipation proclamation is one of my gestures to that fact.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The title of your thread is "The left's despicable RULE: Criticisms of Obama are racist." "Rule" means 100%. It means this is what the left ALWAYS says. But now you're telling us that you can find EXAMPLES of the left characterizing criticism as racism. How does one or a few examples prove that this is a RULE? Either prove that this is what liberals always do, or change the thread title to an honest one. Edit: Here's an example of an HONEST thread title: "Left sometimes characterizes valid criticism of Obama as racism." But I guess that thread title wouldn't be trollish enough for you.

Pretty much this.

President Obama does get criticism from the left.

Only they don't sometimes pointedly use his middle name (like some right wing pundits sometimes do) as a way to point out that he's "other" than most Americans. "look at his name"

That's borderline xenophobic imo.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Of course I agree with you about the existence of racism. I said it and meant it, but my problem with what shira said (100%) and anyone claiming that the vast majority, preponderance, etc. of criticisms aimed at Obama is racist is something I disagree with.

Racism is and continues to be a problem in every single country of the world including the U.S. and the fact that my avatar is Lincoln holding the emancipation proclamation is one of my gestures to that fact.

So you don't understand what people are telling you.

At least you took your time getting around to that point.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001

The thing is that you have been unable to prove, beyond a a small minority, that people believe that criticism of the president is racist or that racial 'code words' exist.
Yet the title of this thread and most of the articles you have posted to support it claim the exact opposite. This claim appears to be false from the evidence presented.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the thing with people like monovillage, is that they can't begin to understand that their criticisms are completely wrong, and generally quite baseless.

Rather than accepting such criticisms for what they are--baseless rantings of buffoons--they deflect and attempt to discredit the criticizer by accusing them of crying racism!

It couldn't be further from the truth, of course.